T-Shirt Forums banner

1 - 20 of 22 Posts

·
Registered
11 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I am thinking of purchasing a heat press on ebay. I have had no luck in sourcing a good second hand press and due to my tight budget ebay is my next option. I was thinking of a swing press as it is for vinyl to tshirt application. Any feedback?

·
Registered
259 Posts
Hi Little Red, funny you should ask that! Before I logged on I was in Ebay and I looked at the heat presses myself. Now I am not an expert but my overall impression is "What a load of old rubbish"! We have a lot of people who are bringing in all sorts of products from China and heat presses are amongst them. You would be buying a "Pig in a poke" and you would be paying ripoff rates for freight. There is one clown on eBay with an $89 heat press who charges $199 for freight! Second hand ones are thin on the ground today but when I have checked in the past many have been smaller than 38cmx38cm. If your doing big transfers 38x38 is good, but if you have a smaller press you can't do big transfers! And you need even heat over the platten so you can't test an eBay purchase before you buy it. Consider a new one. Ok, you may have to go into hock for it but it's new and will come with guarantee. It will probably be dearer than eBay press but at least you got piece of mind....and someone local to deal with. Cheers

·
Registered
11 Posts
Discussion Starter · #5 ·
Thanks for the replies. I wish my lead for the used heat press hadnt fell through, they are really hard to come across it seems. I was hoping someone had some luck with ebay. I know some are dirt cheap but there are others that are slighlty more expensive with a warranty. It is tempting to try my luck...:)

·
Registered
37 Posts
I am a newby, but I would think that the risk of buying a used one that may not work out would cost you alot more in cash and time and frustration (all are considered expenses in my world) A new one would be a shorter road to success. justa thougfht from a newby carolynspaintings:):)

·
Registered
259 Posts
Hi Little Red, what I am gunna say is strange......but is it possible the local dry-cleaner could do heat press work??? OK the presses are generally steam heated, but the local guy that does my suits presses some things with-out steam. I've watched him, just never thought to ask him about it! If your got a batch of transfers to do it would be an easy way to get them done for little cost.

Any experienced members chip in anytime.....

Or is it another crazy idea from down under!

·
Premium Member
10,512 Posts
Might be using an Elna press... it's basically a giant flatbed iron. Not ideal for transfers, but some people do use them.

·
Registered
259 Posts
Hi Lewis, it looks bigger than the Elna press. My concern would be heat control and coverage.

·
Registered
1,283 Posts
You wouldn't want a very big heatpress that exceeds your needs. There would be problems with preassure and temperature control.

My backup heatpress is one I purchased many years ago from eBay. It still runs fine if you take care of it. Can't say that all eBay heatpresses will be as good.

·
Registered
24 Posts
I bought a HIX 38cm x 38cm clamshell from ebay about a year ago from people who didnt use it. worth $1700 (best quote new) i got it for $900. Works perfectly. I must say though, I watched listings for about 4 months before finding it. Stick to known brands listed around this site (Hix, Instapress etc) Also try the trading post. Dont risk the no name chinese brands, just be persistant. good luck!

·
Registered
166 Posts
I bought a HIX 38cm x 38cm clamshell from ebay about a year ago from people who didnt use it. worth $1700 (best quote new) i got it for $900. Works perfectly. I must say though, I watched listings for about 4 months before finding it. Stick to known brands listed around this site (Hix, Instapress etc) Also try the trading post. Dont risk the no name chinese brands, just be persistant. good luck!
Hi,

You definitely got this Hix for a bargain! Absolute work horse.... I was after one myself about a year or so ago and couldn't get on below $1000 (second hand aswell). But I purchased a new Heat Master same size and never had a problem. Paid around $1500 for it with a year warranty and life time replacement on the heating element. It's turned on normally for 9 hours straight for 2 days at a temp of 155°c.

Little red my advice is to stay away from unknown brands! stretch your budget a little further and invest in something worthwhile now
than running into drama's later.
Ebay one's may be a good price but you get what you pay for in the end.
By the way, my press is a clam and I choose to use vinyl only.

My next press will be a HIX! once this press I've got makes me a little more mula:)

Regards

·
Registered
557 Posts
I have a HIX and also a "cheap" press, as the cheap one has digital control it gets used the most, lots of vinyl work.

Hasn't missed a beat. I would personally go the opposite way to a previous post and say DON'T go in to hock for a press. If the cheap one is what you can afford go get one, if the business is a success you will be able to fund buying a hix or similar. If it doesn't work out then you haven't gone in to debt for it.

Where are you located? Maybe other members in your area can help out with the use of their press for a minimal fee for now?

And do a search for ebay press and cheap press in the forum, you will get some good responses from plenty of people useing them, just don't expect it to last forever.

·
Registered
154 Posts
Hello, i am in US and bought 5 of the 16x24 Eat$#%$ Bay. heat presses that were 329.00 each free shipping, digital, english model with a 30 day warranty. It's been 3 months and only one works still, the one I took out of the box today. They have started on fire, the digital timer works once in awhile, when a buzzer does go off, it doesn't turn off. You name it, and it could happen to your press. I ate my losses but there not my only presses, I have a good air operated dual swing and a 70" heat roll press machine, I should of known better. If you see that stupid yellow HOT!! sticker on the front RUN. Good Luck, check classified ads on this forum, craigs list, call some printers who might be downsizing, get a good one.

Rick

·
Registered
259 Posts
Gees Rick, after number 2 you should have known better! For the $1600 you could have bought one of the name brands and got years of service out of it.

·
Registered
259 Posts
Hi Rick, being on a recommendation that adds to the frustration and disappointment. That happened to me with a Mazda RX7, my brothers next door neighbour had for sale. I bought it and on the way home the radiator blew out! A week later the clutch fried. I wasn't happy as my brother kept telling me it was a perfect car! Never mind, he's back in my good books.

1 - 20 of 22 Posts