T-Shirt Forums banner
21 - 27 of 27 Posts

Registered
Discussion Starter · #22 ·
I'd use propylene glycol, but you can try regular antifreeze if you want.
In reality the best glycol to use depends on the ink you are using.
One printer is for dye sublimation
The other is for pigment.
Ive reached out to cobra again about what to use to clean these. Not getting any help. They sold me replacement tubes and syringes a couple years ago but i have no idea what to do. In my first email i asked for instructions on how to use the kit. They dont have any. They say " they'll be happy to help" but unless im a current customer i dont see that happening.. i just dont want to ruin them of they aren't already. They sell the inks so i would think they would know whats best to use to clean the print head also how to remove the printhead. Still trying to find a youtube video on that. So many printers my eyes hurt. How do i find out what i can use? Is glycol safe for this printhead? I dont know. Ive seen a video where a guy uses a high end ultrsonic cleaner. But they're really expensive and i still didnt get what cleaner he was using. 馃槴 i really dont want to toss them. I want to fix them. I really appreciate your time. Thank you

Registered
Here's my 2 cents. I wouldn't waste money on new epson carts to revive/clean your heads. I would buy the refillable carts (make sure they're empty) and fill them with cleaning solution which is super easy to make. I make my own all the time and super cheap. Buy Windex and isopropyl alcohol(I use 99% but you can get by with 70%) mix 4 parts windex to 1 part alcohol. Run the cleaning cycle several times with the cleaning solution that way you don't waste any ink or dye.
I suggest you do the wet paper towel trick first overnight to soften up any dried ink or dye then do the cleaning process. As for changing the tubes, it's way easier than Cobra makes it seem. If they can do it so can you. They're in the business of making money not helping people unless they have to. Also, I suggest buying a faster printer like the the WF7010. Super easy to work on, change heads, etc. The 1100 is slow as molasses, they only positive from the 1100 is when you run out of ink, it doesn't spit the paper currently being printed.
Anyhow, hope this helps

Registered
They sell the inks so i would think they would know whats best to use to clean the print head also how to remove the printhead.
It does not work like that unfortunately.
That's like saying that a shop selling washing machines knows what is in the detergent or how to fix the machines.

They say " they'll be happy to help" but unless im a current customer i dont see that happening.
I doubt that...
They just don't provide the service you are looking for, and I don't think anyone does, because these printers are meant to be disposable, just like printer cartridges.
Here is the business model...
Let's say you buy a $300, and you print 2,000 transfers. That's just 15 cents per transfer, which is excellent.
Now let's compare this with a more expensive printer like the Epson F2100.
These are designed to be repairable, but printhead replacements cost $2,000 and will last for around 10,000 prints.
That's 20 cents per print.

i really dont want to toss them. I want to fix them.
Confidence and skill are required to do this.
If you cannot replace the ink tubes in an already converted printer, you have little chance recovering the printheads.
If the former is difficulty level 1, the latter is definitely level 10.

My suggestion would be to clean these printers really well, and sell them on ebay as they are.
You should be able to get $100 for them, and you can use this towards a new printer.
Then concentrate on selling shirts and making some money.

Registered
Buy Windex and isopropyl alcohol(I use 99% but you can get by with 70%) mix 4 parts windex to 1 part alcohol.
That's basically using eco-solvent ink with stock carts, manifold, and printhead :rolleyes:.
Not the best idea obviously, but maybe worth a shot if everything else fails and the alternative is throwing away the printer.

Registered
That's basically using eco-solvent ink with stock carts, manifold, and printhead :rolleyes:.
Not the best idea obviously, but maybe worth if everything else fails and the alternative is throwing away the printer.
Where Did eco-solvent ink come in? I thought she said pigment and subli dye. This will work for pigment and subli dye. The WF1100 can't even handle the eco-solvent inks. The heads won't last a week...

Registered
Where Did eco-solvent ink come in?
You have answered your own question in the first post.
you can get by with 70%
What do you think the other 30% is?
Obviously a 20% isopropyl alcohol solution is a weak solvent... but this is exactly what the term "eco-solvent" means.
To be clear the term "solvent" in this case means "organic solvent", because technically water is a solvent too.

I'm not saying it will not work, because I've not tried it, but it is a pretty strong solution.
Even using pure windex should not stay in the ink system or the printhead for long.

By the way, there is no benefit in using the 99% alcohol.
Adding less windex (3parts for example) to the 70% version, will actually give you a stronger solution.

21 - 27 of 27 Posts