T-Shirt Forums banner
1 - 15 of 15 Posts

·
Registered
20 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I'm posting this in as many forums as i can find, that may be able to help me with this issue. And if anyone has any suggestions on where else i may get help please feel free to say so.

Several years ago i purchased 2 Epson WF 1100 printers, one for sublimation one for pigment. Both with cobra inks internal bulk system.
Long story short, life happened and my poor printers were neglected ( for years) I purchased the new tubes which are supposed to be better for not drying inks out as fast. So i already spent the money on the Kit to repair.
I have not attempted anything as of yet. Im not sure what to do first its a bit intimidating. But I'm stubborn and determined.

Does anyone know if there is a process for minor disassembly of the printer in order to (Replace the tubes the way they were installed by cobra?) Or can it be done without printer disassembly?

I am not fond of the other fix Where the tubes lay across the top of the printer.
Cobra support says its a long messy process. And they dont have a support video , but i would still like to know how to get this done.
Hopefully this is ok to submit in this forum. Thanks

·
Registered
3,867 Posts
I've brought back an old Epson with pigment inks after it sat for a few years. I used one of those head cleaning kits that has a dummy cartridge and syringe to flush cleaning fluid through it.

For yours, I'd flush out the head and then see if it will give a decent head check with regular Epson ink cartridges. If you manage to get good results from the head, then worry about 3rd-party ink tubes.

·
Registered
3,189 Posts
Has anyone ever brought epson wf 1100 back from the dead?
Workforce inks are more difficult because they contain binders making them water resistant when dry.
Sublimation inks are also problematic. They are actually thermoplastic synthetic pigments, and they do clog badly when left to dry as well.

The "minimal disassembly" is also a problem, because the most effective methods are reverse waterfalling and applying vacuum on the nozzle plate.
Both methods work best when combined, and require removal of the printhead.

Don't be discuraged from the above.
Give it a try and see what happens... you never know.

·
Registered
20 Posts
Discussion Starter · #4 ·
I've brought back an old Epson with pigment inks after it sat for a few years. I used one of those head cleaning kits that has a dummy cartridge and syringe to flush cleaning fluid through it.

For yours, I'd flush out the head and then see if it will give a decent head check with regular Epson ink cartridges. If you manage to get good results from the head, then worry about 3rd-party ink tubes.

ok not sure I understand you're flushing fluid through the cartridge ?
Please forgive me I have no idea what I'm doing, but please don't give up on me. So It's interesting you say that because Cobra support said something similar, like trying to get ink to flow through the tubes but replace cartridges, but honestly I don't know if they really understand how long they have been sitting. The black ink tanks are almost empty I'm pretty sure even though all caps were on tight, some ink evaporated because i never let it get that low. And the ink is about nine years old. The printers have been dormant since 2015? not sure if I should try to use that old ink, seems like I would create more problems? I feel like i should suck all the ink out of the tanks. I wish i could replace ink in tanks with clog buster or hot water and just flush the hell out of it. I have some clog buster and some cleaning solution that came with the kit but (no dummy cartridges )
Feel free to set me straight cause I really don't know.
As far as doing a head check? I haven't had printers installed on current computer. I had serious computer issues after all this started. So first i had to address a computer rebuild, which took a couple years. I didn't think i should try to install printers until i fixed them. Thanks for your reply btw

·
Registered
3,189 Posts
The printers have been dormant since 2015? not sure if I should try to use that old ink
Definitely don't use that ink.
My recommendation would be to buy one set of new carts (if possible) and use them to try and revive one printer at a time.
This way you don't have to worry about tubes or other issues.
The old ink tanks and tubes are probably still OK to use. All you have to do is clean them.

·
Registered
3,867 Posts
As Tabob said.

Note also that you can run nozzle checks directly from the printer, no computer needed. Besides head cleaning fluid, you might also try a glass cleaner that contains ammonia for cleaning your tanks, tubes, wiper, and capping station. It is much cheaper so you can use as much as needed without breaking the bank--just don't use it in the head.

All that is assuming you need to be able to print to large paper sizes, as the WF printers can. If all you need is letter or legal size paper, then plunk down $199 and get a brand new Epson ET-2720. A new 13x19" printer like the ET-15000 would cost about 3 times that much, so I'd be willing to put in a bit more work to avoid that expense.

·
Registered
20 Posts
Discussion Starter · #7 ·
Definitely don't use that ink.
My recommendation would be to buy one set of new carts (if possible) and use them to try and revive one printer at a time.
This way you don't have to worry about tubes or other issues.
The old ink tanks and tubes are probably still OK to use. All you have to do is clean them.
So i realize how dumb this sounds but to be clear, your saying pull out current cartridge with bulk sys aside (not uninstall) get regular epson ink cartridges ( without modified chips for bulk system) but with regular ink in them , Blow out the head with clog buster try to clean up old ink. Install printer to pc do test runs? Does that sound right?

·
Registered
20 Posts
Discussion Starter · #8 ·
As Tabob said.

Note also that you can run nozzle checks directly from the printer, no computer needed. Besides head cleaning fluid, you might also try a glass cleaner that contains ammonia for cleaning your tanks, tubes, wiper, and capping station. It is much cheaper so you can use as much as needed without breaking the bank--just don't use it in the head.

All that is assuming you need to be able to print to large paper sizes, as the WF printers can. If all you need is letter or legal size paper, then plunk down $199 and get a brand new Epson ET-2720. A new 13x19" printer like the ET-15000 would cost about 3 times that much, so I'd be willing to put in a bit more work to avoid that expense.
How do you run a nozzle check without pc? And yes i need the large format. I really like these printers. I feel bad i neglected them this long. I would hate tossing out something like that. I very much appreciate everybodies time and advice. :giggle:

·
Registered
3,867 Posts

·
Registered
3,189 Posts
So i realize how dumb this sounds but to be clear, your saying pull out current cartridge with bulk sys aside (not uninstall) get regular epson ink cartridges ( without modified chips for bulk system) but with regular ink in them , Blow out the head with clog buster try to clean up old ink. Install printer to pc do test runs? Does that sound right?
Refillable ones would probably be better, and if successful you can keep using them with your CIS system.
I just wouldn't trust the old ones, even if you manage to clean them.
You can fill the new carts with flushing solution mixed with a little bit of ink, just enough to make nozzle check prints visible without switching carts.
Work carefully and keep liquids away from the electronics and connectors of the print head. A small drop can fry the printhead and the mainboard.

·
Registered
20 Posts
Discussion Starter · #11 ·
Workforce inks are more difficult because they contain binders making them water resistant when dry.
Sublimation inks are also problematic. They are actually thermoplastic synthetic pigments, and they do clog badly when left to dry as well.

The "minimal disassembly" is also a problem, because the most effective methods are reverse waterfalling and applying vacuum on the nozzle plate.
Both methods work best when combined, and require removal of the printhead.

Don't be discuraged from the above.
Give it a try and see what happens... you never know.
Thank you for your reply. I will not be discouraged 🤣 unless if you could tell me what you mean by waterfalling and how to use a vacuum and how to remove printhead. Sounds intimidating. I've got to figure out where to start though. I guess i need a couple of regular ink cartridges.

·
Registered
3,189 Posts
Thank you for your reply. I will not be discouraged 🤣 unless if you could tell me what you mean by waterfalling and how to use a vacuum and how to remove printhead. Sounds intimidating.
The printhead removal is similar for all Workforce printers, but some are tricky due to limited space. Have a look on YouTube.

"Reverse waterfalling" is applying vacumm to the manifold ink inlets (where the cartridges sit).
It is a bit safer than regular waterfalling (pushing fluid in), which can cause de-lamination.
All you need is a syringe and a tube for this.

"Vacuum purge" is what the printer does when you run a cleaning cycle, but with a little more force.
It is basically applying vacuum to the nozzle plate.
You will need to buy or make a tool for this.

·
Registered
20 Posts
Discussion Starter · #13 ·
gee id really like to get a consensus on how to tackle this.

1. so i should get new cartridges with regular ink? yes? no?
2. pull old cartridges out lay them aside (trying to keep tank system)
3. flush out print head like this? Blowout a printhead - YouTube
4. insert new cartridges with ink?
5. clean head like this?
do head
The printhead removal is similar for all Workforce printers, but some are tricky due to limited space. Have a look on YouTube.

"Reverse waterfalling" is applying vacumm to the manifold ink inlets (where the cartridges sit).
It is a bit safer than regular waterfalling (pushing fluid in), which can cause de-lamination.
All you need is a syringe and a tube for this.

"Vacuum purge" is what the printer does when you run a cleaning cycle, but with a little more force.
It is basically applying vacuum to the nozzle plate.
You will need to buy or make a tool for this.
So what kind of cleaner is safe for this. Ive seen videos where short clear tubes are plugged onto the ink inlets with a fluid. Allowed to soak. In this method the tubes are pulled fluid is allowed to just drop out. But if i had a steady hand i would like to attatch a syringe to the tubes and try to pull the fluid out.

·
Registered
3,189 Posts
3. flush out print head like this? Blowout a printhead - YouTube
I don't think this will work on a printer left in storage for 6 years.
The term "blowout" may be interpreted as "use as much force as possible", and that's a really bad idea.
This has to be done gently. If no fluid goes through, don't try to force it.

Personally, I'd just remove the printhead and soak the nozzle plate in flushing solution for a day or two before trying anything..
Then you could try the blowout/waterfall and the reverse-waterfall method, and see if ink comes out of the nozzles.
I it does, put it back on the printer and try it.

1. so i should get new cartridges with regular ink? yes? no?
Just get replacements cartridges for your CIS, and use them without the tubes attached for now.
If you do manage to revive the printer, you can simply connect the tubes and start printing.

1 - 15 of 15 Posts