T-Shirt Forums banner
1 - 17 of 17 Posts

·
Registered
36 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Hi has any one had any experience of importing transfers from the US the only designs I can find I need are at Pro world.
If any one has purchased from them how much was delivery and importy duty?
I have not yet purchased a heat press I am an embroider but I have been thinking of adding a press for a while and now have the chance or regular work from a friend but the only place I can find her specific dog transfers are proworld.

·
Registered
241 Posts
I used to import from Pro-World, excellent service. Think I paid £40-£90 delivery depending on quantity but will check (may be way off!) I paid import tax until I found out they are zero rated as they are paper products :) Got the money back but took ages.

Justin

·
Registered
23 Posts
I used to import from Pro-World, excellent service. Think I paid £40-£90 delivery depending on quantity but will check (may be way off!) I paid import tax until I found out they are zero rated as they are paper products :) Got the money back but took ages.

Justin
Justin, Did you have to pay a postage premium because your in the Highlands & Islands?

Have you now stopped doing transfers as you say "I used to import"

·
Registered
36 Posts
Discussion Starter · #6 ·

Justin
good to know its tax exempt do you happen to know how to get it into the country without initially having to pay the tax, I got incorrectly charged for an import a while back and it took months to claim that back. what sort of quantity did you order for that delivery charge? shipping from the States is sooooooo expensive!

·
Registered
241 Posts
I was living back in Nottingham when I imported but it shouldn't make any difference to have them sent to Shetland, just a slight delay usually. Not imported for a while as I put that section of the business on hold whilst I moved house but will be starting again in the next year I hope, they proved very popular and quite profitable.

Justin

·
Registered
23 Posts
I was living back in Nottingham when I imported but it shouldn't make any difference to have them sent to Shetland, just a slight delay usually. Not imported for a while as I put that section of the business on hold whilst I moved house but will be starting again in the next year I hope, they proved very popular and quite profitable.

Justin
What transfer style sold best for you Justin?

I've just opened up a new shop in a popular tourist seaside town on the west coast of scotland and think these could prove popular. I'm thinking the animal & bikey ones could be a seller.

·
Registered
36 Posts
Discussion Starter · #9 ·
I'm thinking the animal & bikey ones could be a seller.[/quote said:
The dog designs my mate uses are made into cushions and then she goes to any dog shows that are on inc little local ones and sells heaps I can get reg work from doing her printing and figure i would do the same with t shirts, there is some one that does the same shows with dog prited mugs they were flying out he had people queing up at £5.99 a mug!.... still need to know how to actually get them here without costing an arm and a leg.
I think the ones at pro world would go well if only because they are designs that you dont see every where you go. my son is into cars and bikes and loved the proworld transfers becuase they were "different"

·
Registered
38 Posts
I purchased from pro world a couple of weeks ago. Tok about 2 days to arrive in the country and I had to wait another week until I received the letter and paid customs to Parcel Force.

Didn't realise I could claim back.

I couldn't get them to stick properly. LOL and don't have the patience to keep trying, so have decided to stick with vinyl. I'm left with the ones I haven't tried. don't know if I'm allowed to offer them here, if not I shall probably put them on ebay

I was one of those people who thought you could buy transfers, stick them on the t shirt, into the heat seal and everything would be hunky dorey LOL but it's not that easy.

·
Registered
293 Posts
Hey with the dollar as low in value as it is it could be a bargin to buy transfers or anythng else from the usa. I can send you a link where you can buy transfers for less than .50 us. Send me your email address and you can look at the site and compare prices with shipping.

Philip [email protected]

·
Registered
38 Posts
Back to the original question of costs, I've just been checking my invoice I ordered 50 transfers varying in sizes, cost was $77.58 Shipping and handling on this was $37.75

Paid Parcel Force £17.98 which was made up of VAT £9.98 and clearance fee of £8.00

With the exchange rate and including customs total was £77.02

Hope that helps give an idea of costs to be added into the transfer costs

Limara have you had a read on the forum about the problems that can occur with transfers. As I said I thought it was a case of putting them on the t shirt and applying the heat seal but it's not as simple as that.

·
Registered
36 Posts
Discussion Starter · #15 ·
Back to the original question of costs, I've just been checking my invoice I ordered 50 transfers varying in sizes, cost was $77.58 Shipping and handling on this was $37.75

Paid Parcel Force £17.98 which was made up of VAT £9.98 and clearance fee of £8.00

With the exchange rate and including customs total was £77.02

Hope that helps give an idea of costs to be added into the transfer costs

Limara have you had a read on the forum about the problems that can occur with transfers. As I said I thought it was a case of putting them on the t shirt and applying the heat seal but it's not as simple as that.
Thanks for the costs, no I havent read about the problems of transfers, I also thought its just a case of getting a heat press and the transfers.
back in Florida a few years back we were buying t shirts from a place and it did literally look like put the press down on top of the transfer and it was done!
What is the problem heat/pressure or quality of press?
I dont have a heat press yet I do embroidery and have been thinking about a press for a while now, the work from this woman is what has encouraged me really to get the press she had a local man do hers for years now he retired and she has been let down by 2 people maybe they also had problems and thats why she has been let down.
lol she is considering having to buy her own maybe I should let her get it then cant use it and buy it off her she doesnt even have a pc let alone internet to get help with any problems she has.
The transfers are definatly the pro world ones some of the dog ones are unique and I havent found them any where else,

·
Registered
38 Posts
Limara, yes Pro World have an excellent range of transfers, much better than you can get over here.

Here's a post about the problems with transfers http://www.t-shirtforums.com/heat-press-heat-transfers/t3001.html

I wish I had read it first. It's to do with pressure and heat and everything being spot on for the transfers to work. I don't believe for one minute that there's anything wrong with the transfers I purchased, but I have a cheap heat press. Also the ones I had were hot peel and I think even in the time it took to grab it from the heat press onto the table it had probably cooled down so the ink was all stretchy and stuff LOL

I did manage one very small one by grabbing it immediately I opened the press but decided this wasn't something I wanted to do every time. Maybe if I had a swing away press. As I do the vinyl I decided I would just stick with that instead of wasting transfers and t shirts trying to learn to do it right.

If you read the forum you should be able to pick up lots of tips for doing it properly. I just thought I would let you know that it's not as simple as it appears. LOL

·
Registered
36 Posts
Discussion Starter · #17 ·
Limara, yes Pro World have an excellent range of transfers, much better than you can get over here.

Here's a post about the problems with transfers http://www.t-shirtforums.com/heat-press-heat-transfers/t3001.html

I wish I had read it first. It's to do with pressure and heat and everything being spot on for the transfers to work. I don't believe for one minute that there's anything wrong with the transfers I purchased, but I have a cheap heat press. Also the ones I had were hot peel and I think even in the time it took to grab it from the heat press onto the table it had probably cooled down so the ink was all stretchy and stuff LOL

I did manage one very small one by grabbing it immediately I opened the press but decided this wasn't something I wanted to do every time. Maybe if I had a swing away press. As I do the vinyl I decided I would just stick with that instead of wasting transfers and t shirts trying to learn to do it right.

If you read the forum you should be able to pick up lots of tips for doing it properly. I just thought I would let you know that it's not as simple as it appears. LOL
Thanks for that I think I have read something about pressure hope its not cheap heat press related though because the one i would be starting out with is likely to be the cheaper end of the scale.

1 - 17 of 17 Posts