T-Shirt Forums banner

1 - 13 of 13 Posts

·
Registered
302 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I'm having a real dilemma deciding between the Hanes 5180 6.1oz ringspun Beefy T and the Hanes 5280 5.5oz Heavyweight. I've ordered samples of both shirts but I would still like to hear opinions from people on the board. Do you think it's really worth spending the extra money? I don't want to skimp but I also don't want to spend money that could go elsewhere for something that doesn't really matter all that much.

As a side note, I'm looking at Bodek and Rhodes right now and they are having a sale on all their 5180's (ringspun) which ends on 5/19/06.

White
S-XL
$1.39
You have to buy a case to get that price.

Black
S-XL
$2.65
You have to buy a case to get that price.

·
Premium Member
27,700 Posts
The biggest difference for me is the ringspun cotton. That makes the t-shirts very soft and makes a good first impression on the buyer. I think people are more likely to wear your comfortable ringspun cotton t-shirt over another t-shirt.

If you're not worried about the ringspun, Hanes has a 6.1 ounce t-shirt that isn't ringspun for much less than the beefy. I think it's the 5250, but I'm not 100% on that. I would go for the heavier weight shirt instead of the 5.5 oz.

·
Premium Member
10,512 Posts
Ringspun cotton is definitely great for softness, but on the other hand I prefer a lighter weight shirt. Between the tight collar, close-knit fabric, and heavy weight... I very very rarely wear my Hanes Beefy T's (all three things contribute to them being way too hot).

Some customers prefer heavy, some light - depending on the market you're aiming at the ratio will differ.

I'm not saying I wouldn't use the Beefy T (it's a good shirt), but it is certainly a dilemna for you as it's not just a question of money - different customers have different needs.

·
Registered
302 Posts
Discussion Starter #4
Thanks for the posts, very good information.

The biggest problem I'm having is being objective about which shirt to get. Personally I like to wear very lightweight shirts. If I could find a shirt that had the same weight as a shirt made of papertowels I would wear that 24/7. :)

As I look at successful sites that sell to the same market I notice the majority use a 5.5oz 100% cotton heavyweight. This is making me lean more towards the 5280.

Thanks again for the information.

·
Premium Member
27,700 Posts
If you like really light weight t-shirts, you should get some samples from alternativeapparel (or just wait for the t-shirtforums t-shirts to be printed and shipped :))

·
Registered
382 Posts
I'd ask around to friends or people you know that you think would be in your market.

Personally, I like lighter weight shirts, like American Apparel, and Alternative Apparel, but I'm going with Beefy-T as our main shirt because the people I've given our shirts out to so far really like how comfortable it is. So I wouldn't really base it on personal preference unless you are certain that is your market, just don't get a cheap shirt to save money, it may bite you in the *** later on.

After our site is up and if people hate Beefy-T and want something else, I have no problem switching them to another brand...they are the ones buying the shirts, not me. I can always print the ones for myself on anything I want.

·
Premium Member
27,700 Posts
I can always print the ones for myself on anything I want.
That's what I've been doing lately. I use one style for resale, and since I like a different style (50/50 fruit of the loom), I get some extras printed on that brand.

·
Registered
302 Posts
Discussion Starter #8
Can someone comment on Solmu's comment regarding the "tight collar" on the Hanes Beefy T (5180)? Personally I hate it when the collar of a t-shirt seems small and I feel like I'm being strangled. :)

Is there really a difference in the collar?

·
Premium Member
27,700 Posts
Can someone comment on Solmu's comment regarding the "tight collar" on the Hanes Beefy T (5180)?
I have a 5180 and a Hanes tagless here in my office and the collars seem pretty similar. I actually think the Beefy T is goodly proportioned in regards to size.

They both seem to have coverseamed necklines, so I'm not sure where the difference would be.

Your best bet is to buy a few samples from different places and see which one you think your customers would prefer and which ones you can rule out based on your own standards of quality.

Like a lot of people like the Gildan Ultra cotton and I got a charlie brown t-shirt from t-shirts.com today that's printed on a Gildan and while it's a nice t-shirt, I personally wouldn't use it for my brand. My customers might love it, but they'll never get that choice because I wouldn't feel right ;) Conversely, I like 50/50 t-shirts, but I don't think a majority of customers would like to wear them, so I don't use them for my brand.

·
Registered
382 Posts
Beefy-T does have a tight collar for the most part, but its going to vary shirt to shirt. I've noticed it more on some of my black shirts than any other color.

I would just buy one and see what you think. The white shirts are also much more light weight than the colored shirts.

·
Premium Member
10,512 Posts
identityburn said:
they are the ones buying the shirts, not me. I can always print the ones for myself on anything I want.
Exactly. I commonly print on shirts I'd never wear myself, because it's not about what I'd wear.

I'm hoping to find a brand that both myself and customers can be happy selling/buying, but in the meanwhile it's more important they like it than I do.

·
Premium Member
10,512 Posts
Rodney said:
I have a 5180 and a Hanes tagless here in my office and the collars seem pretty similar.
I meant the Hanes Beefy T as opposed to other brands (FOTL, Gildan, etc.) rather than as opposed to other Hanes tees.

identityburn said:
Beefy-T does have a tight collar for the most part, but its going to vary shirt to shirt. I've noticed it more on some of my black shirts than any other color.
I have a couple of black and a heather grey. I haven't noticed a difference between any of them (except that the heather grey shirt is incredibly soft), but I've only worn them each a few times apiece.

·
Registered
382 Posts
Yeah the heather gray shirts are softer...not sure if thats because they are 90% cotton 10% polyester or what.

Beefy-T is a good all around shirt, I've just noticed weird sizing inconsitencies from color to color. Maybe I just got a bad batch, I'm not sure.

1 - 13 of 13 Posts