T-Shirt Forums banner

1 - 4 of 4 Posts

·
Registered
214 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Okay one of my close friends just past away this past Wednesday Aug. 27. Now everybody is asking me to screenprint t-shirts for them. I've never learned how to halftone, so Im clueless right now and I don't screenprint but I just do vinyl.

My questions are what are the best settings to do halftones in photoshop?

And what is the best place to outsource for to do plastisol transfer to heat press at home?

Is this a good way to go about this order? And they are ordering about 40 shirts now but maybe more later. Thanks in advance.

·
Registered
214 Posts
Discussion Starter #2 (Edited)
Sorry about your loss.

This sort of design is especially hard because of the nature of what it is remembering. With the heartfelt feeling involved, speed to production is essential. It would probably be better to have something by Tuesday, than delayed 2 weeks sending out the art.

A vinyl cutter can cut b&w photos like the che guevara t-shirt. Here is a biggie small t-shirt which could have been done with a vinyl cutter to give you an idea of what i'm talking about.

[media]http://www.individualsole.com/wp-content/uploads/2008/03/notorious-big-major-free-gold-watch-2.JPG[/media]
To convert a photo to a vinyl cutter. Open the photo in photoshop. Size the image to final actual size, 300dpi. Crop away anything not wanted. I use the polygon lasso with the image zoomed to 300% and run the lasso though the fringe created with magnification. This can take 1-10 minutes depending on the complexity. Using the levels command, bring both the black and the white points together somewhere in the middle, this makes only black and white. Use the magic want to select the black, right click "make working paths", then from the file menu, "export paths to illustrator. From illustrator, select all the paths and set them to .001". Filling with black isn't needed, but you can.

If you want to post the picture or email it to me @ [email protected], i should be able to send you the illustrator cut lines. Once you understand the process, you should be able to easily repeat it if you have photoshop. Dependending on the contrast point choosen, different outputs are generated which can give different moods to the image.

fred

Thanks for the help this is the way the shirt came out.

·
Registered
584 Posts
Just parousing the threads and saw this post. I'm giving this post a 5 Star Rating because this is the type of help, understanding, and guidance that makes this forum great. :)

Also, Sorry to hear about your loss Chris, but Great Job.

1 - 4 of 4 Posts