T-Shirt Forums banner

1 - 9 of 9 Posts

·
Registered
3,838 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
As many of you know I get involved with a lot of charity work.
When something hits me, it hits hard,,
Well this oil spill off the shoreline of alabama, and lousiana, is some nasty stuff, it may go Texas way , it may go florida way,
But any way it goes, it will kill sealife and more as it goes,,
I am part of Matter of Trust,
I have a Salon spa and am collecting Hair, this hair is being made into hair matts and booms, and set out to collect the oil,, in the water, then turned into compost when done.
here is some info if anyone is interested in sharing this info with any salons or dog groomers or who ever,
[media]http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=EwQOD_Ir2vQ[/media]

·
Registered
558 Posts
There are a couple of salons collecting hair in our area too. Thanks for passing that along!

·
Registered
3,838 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
Sarah,, thanks for posting,, also anyone who is collecting hair, we are also collecting dog hair, cat hair, horse hari and feathers,,,,
If you have any of this, find a salon in your area that is collecting and mailing,
The the last bunch of hair was headed to Florida,, and now this new batch as of friday goes to alabama,,
If any one needs any info on where to send anything please ask.. and if anyone else is already doing this please post .
If you go get your haircut,, ask to save the hair,
you can mail it to me if nothing else, and i will get it down there, for you
:)

·
Registered
1,383 Posts
Hairdressers, pet groomers and farmers worldwide are collecting hair and fur to help mop up the devastating oil spill in the Gulf of Mexico.
The hair, stuffed into nylon tights, helps booms soak up thick oil spewing from the blown-out well off Louisiana.
About 370,000 salons are taking part, said the charity organising the massive "hair lift". Matter of Trust is largely co-ordinating its efforts via Facebook.
Some 450,000lbs (204,000kg) of hair and fur is said to being arriving each day.
Hair is an extremely efficient material for taking in all kinds of oils including petroleum, Matter of Trust's co-founder Lisa Gautier told the BBC's World Today programme.
She explained that each follicle has an enormous surface area, which the oil "sticks" to.
FROM BBC WORLD SERVICE

More from BBC World Service

Volunteers have been stuffing the nylons with hair at 15 warehouses close to the disaster zone, making huge "hairy sausages" or booms, she said.
The booms will be laid on beaches rather than out at sea, soaking up any oil that washes ashore.
The technique has been backed by the Applied Fabric Technologies, the world's second largest oil boom manufacturer.
Ms Gautier said donations had come from France, England, Spain, Brazil, Australia, Canada and the US, and that new volunteers were signing up all the time. There are constant updates on shipments on the charity's Facebook page.
Alpaca and sheep farmers have also got involved, according to the San Francisco-based charity.
Oil has been escaping at a rate of 5,000 barrels (210,000 gallons) a day since 20 April, after an explosion on a BP-leased rig. :)

·
Registered
3,838 Posts
Discussion Starter #5
Thanks john, you are so right,,
I have 2 huge boxes going out today,, they are working around the clock to stuff these booms and make hair mats,, think of dreads made into a rug,,,,
to soak up the oil,

My dogs,, just donated their hair, lol
if anyone has any questions, keep the emails coming i will do my best to answer what I can,:):p

·
Registered
1,383 Posts
What kind of dogs? :)

·
Registered
3,838 Posts
Discussion Starter #9
hahahah they were,, i have a big bag of hair from each,, lol
I just got a update from Matter of Trust, That they are receiving Great hair and fur and Nylons so they are on schedule,, even tho the Oil is still pumping out into the gulf.
Thanks to all that are emailing me to find out how to get hair to me or to your salons,, human, dog, cat , or horse,, or feathers,,
I am answering them as fast as I can so hang on..
Thanks everyone whom is helping this cause,,
New orleans says this will be worse than Katrina,,
as it will effect all our lives, gas prices and seafood. As well as all the states involved,
Thank you all for getting involved.

1 - 9 of 9 Posts