T-Shirt Forums banner
41 - 57 of 57 Posts

·
Registered
9,534 Posts
Good news! I'm designing my dtg and will have something to show soon. I'm designing it with two stable stationary platters and a moving print mechanism on rails. I haven't decided on which printer I will use just yet but I'm thinking the 2200. I'm looking at CNC builds to get ideas.
Stationary platens do not have copyright issues, right?

·
Registered
472 Posts
What I mean is the table the shirt is put on will be stationary. There will be two of them about four inches apart. I'm looking at stepper motors but they are expensive. I pulled one out of an old copy machine. The markings on it is in-house so I'm not even sure what voltages it work with and what type of controller to use.

If I find myself against a rock and a hard place I will buy one. I'm also building a milling machine so I'm working on both at the same time. So I might have to buy a four axis stepper motor and controller kit and build a three axis mill.

·
Registered
472 Posts
LOL. So I can print two shirts at the same time. It would be like having two sheets of paper in the feed and selecting to print two copies of my image. The tables would be removable so I can interchange it with another and print images up to 40" long if I wanted on tube dresses and such.

·
Registered
110 Posts
Discussion Starter · #47 ·
because of the lack of interest in gutenrip i am no longer going to be supporting it and upgrading it if anyone wants it or wants to take it to the next level i will send u a installer only nothing else give me a few days to get the installer going

Many Thanks

Rob

·
Registered
9,534 Posts
because of the lack of interest in gutenrip i am no longer going to be supporting it and upgrading it if anyone wants it or wants to take it to the next level i will send u a installer only nothing else give me a few days to get the installer going

Many Thanks

Rob
I am interested so let us know if the installer is ready.

I don't think there is a lack of interest. In the first place, we really are looking only at a small group of users. And a still smaller number of people have enough programming knowledge to really contribute.

·
Registered
36 Posts
i want to give help in here. i have configured linux servers and used ubuntu for desktop, but not ever tried compiling. my first language is c in college, used c# in my projects when it was still in 3.5 version. im into web development now because its a lot easier for me now even with loads of project. i want to add gutenprint in my simple photo editor(c#) but i cant find any articles on how to do this. let's open source for all of us to benefit, for improving and testing and bug tracking.

·
Registered
110 Posts
Discussion Starter · #52 ·
hey guys sorry been very busy with work and alsorts

i am still tinkering with gutenprint but with no printer any more i cant run tests so its a case of giving the project away its a very simple hack and i have done most of the work on the visal side of things its just the talking with photoprint left to do and yes you heard me right photoprint has a incorperated batch mode witch alows you to send it a image and a file with all the options that you selected in the gui send it them 2 files along with the printer name and it prints

Anyways if anyone would like to take over the project from me i will be happy to give it away to the right person obviously they will need programming skills in c# will only give it away to the right person

email me [email protected]

many thanks

Robert Duller

·
Registered
36 Posts
i hope we all realize that this is a big project. i cant afford high priced rip being sold so im into this. but developing alone can be very frustrating. DTG NEEDS RIP, im sure about that so let us all give hand into this project.

·
Registered
3 Posts
Hi all..

I do some testing with gutenprint 5.2.6.2 using epson T20e.
Here's the spec:
color: textile ink CMYW made in korea
Photoshop CS2 with guntenprint plugins

printing 3 color composite works fine with single pass, but if i print multi passes like 2-3, it would be a gap between prints.

i try to print white ink using grayscale mode and adjust the output with more black curved.
works fine. but the result is not as white as i expected (maybe because of the white ink quality).

i think i can fix this white print with control the density and ink output someday.

but the most important thing i can't handle here is the gap output..
it like gutenprint can print precisely in 2 or more passes.
it can control the vertical feed.
even when i put the image 5cm down, it still print on top of the shirt

maybe i can upload some image tomorrow..

anybody have some problems with me?

Thanks
Harry

·
Registered
131 Posts
Hi all..

I do some testing with gutenprint 5.2.6.2 using epson T20e.
Here's the spec:
color: textile ink CMYW made in korea
Photoshop CS2 with guntenprint plugins

printing 3 color composite works fine with single pass, but if i print multi passes like 2-3, it would be a gap between prints.

i try to print white ink using grayscale mode and adjust the output with more black curved.
works fine. but the result is not as white as i expected (maybe because of the white ink quality).

i think i can fix this white print with control the density and ink output someday.

but the most important thing i can't handle here is the gap output..
it like gutenprint can print precisely in 2 or more passes.
it can control the vertical feed.
even when i put the image 5cm down, it still print on top of the shirt

maybe i can upload some image tomorrow..

anybody have some problems with me?

Thanks
Harry

You need Epson SC 680 here is sample printed in 3 pass
[media]http://adriatix.hr/A_NOVOSTI/A_novo_INK_ink/PICT/ARTIST_INK_3_PASS_XXL.jpg[/media]

·
Registered
4 Posts
I doubt anyone of you are still being updated on this thread but, yall really did spend a lot of time messing with the more trivial part of the rip. Granted ink qualities probably were really nasty back then and that's part of the reason for the number of damaged print heads the other was really bad configuration values. But, you could have resolved a lot of the printing issues by writing the plugin and learing print the image in raw format. Doing this would have allowed you to print the image line by line printing and underbase of white on the fly as you loop through the CMYK cartridges printing a pass or two of each cartridge then advancing the queue and the paper and repeating. Setting the saturation higher and the gamma and the brightness down on the white channels and the dropplet size to large for white and using medium small for color probably would have rounded out the differences between color over the white base, then ink output could have been adjusted in the rips interface to correct and fine tune the output.

If you don't rewrite the plugin or write a stand alone RIP you will be stuck with a two pass solution instead of the one pass I just described.
Creating a print space int the RIP where you can move multiple elements around the sizeable print area shown on the screen allowing you to import multiple images at a time and place them around the print area(this is with regards to DTF printing which didn't exactly exist then so you never would ahve thought to do this) and then basically filter out the white backgounds and convert to a TIFF or something to be printed. would have been fairly trivial using a graphical programming language such as Vcc, vb, delphi, or even python with GTK+ or some thing. Towards the end you were starting to break the cycle and heading towards someting that might have been workable,, the crazy part is that's where yall gave up.

Well. I'm picking up the project and the plan is it will consist of the twp gimp and photoshop plugins and a stand alone RIP. I already kinda have it all mapped out in my head so I really just need to take some notes and study the source code some more and brush up on my programming skillz. I believe in opensource but I also believe my time and efforts are worth something so unfortunately my RIPs will not be opensource but I also believe in saving people money so my RIPs won't probably be more than $50-75 a licence. Making it the most affordable RIPs on the market and I will be ensuring that they support as many printers as possible. Granted I'mm going to have to byte encode all of the configuration files or turn them into DLLs so no one is temped to monkey with them and break either their equipment or the software.

I was so hopeful yall had hit upon something by the time I had reached this forum thread and was kind of let down, but it did inspire me to pick it up so there is some sort of silver lining. I hope you are all doing well and if anyone wants to work on my RIP please let me know and I will make you part of the team and give you a license that is good for 20 concurrent installations so you can share it with your friends should you want to.

I may also consider a batch printing option to send the print out to multiple printers at the same time but I don't know how necessary that is.

If any of you are still alive and kicking hit me up, I am more than interested in feedback.

41 - 57 of 57 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.