T-Shirt Forums banner
21 - 40 of 57 Posts

·
Registered
38 Posts
The platen retracting by itself isnt that hard with the proper relay/circuit setup. Though to me personally it wouldnt be of that much significance opposed to a bugfree application (speaking from a programmer's point of view). Doing subroutines like a retracting platen just distracts from the most crucial aspects, as in development and debugging, all the way up to the first stable beta.

Just my two cents.

·
Registered
472 Posts
The retraction is independent of the software. It's purely mechanical. Just like the paper eject switch tells the printer the paper is out the setup will tell the circuit that the carriage is where it should be to retract it. When the printer send back a message to the pc that there is no paper in it, the job is put on hold until the printer send a message that there is paper in the ready position (the paper sensor switch). This is the same position the the return relay re-engages the carriage.

·
Registered
38 Posts
The retraction is independent of the software. It's purely mechanical.
Yes, a serious distraction though, programming takes up a lot of time, then comes the debugging, doesnt matter which language. Developing/tweaking the circuitboard/relay to make the platen action happen also takes up a lot of time though to me (personally) it would be less of a priority than the rip as its a luxury thing, very nice to have though not essential whereas the rip software is.

Edit
I have been a professional programmer for over 10 years and hobbyist circuit board clown for about the same period of time so I do know what you are talking about and though the routine of the circuitry pretty much explains itself as the linear concept it is its finetuning/tweaking will take up loads of time.

·
Registered
38 Posts
ray a few questions do you have any experience in c and linux if so i could do with your help on the rip also where do u live

Many Thanks Rob
Hi Rob,

I would like to help you out though I dont know anything about Linux. I have some experience in C/PHP/VB though I'm very rusty as I havent touched it for about 2,5 years now, made a drastic career move as I wanted to move away from living behind computers. I live in the Netherlands.

So the rip is C-based ? and what do you need help with ? and is it entirely oop or procedural ? How many lines of code are we talking about ?

At this point I cant make any promises about anything while I'm very busy with my business (store & webshop) but I'll help out if I can and time permits me.

·
Registered
38 Posts
Thats a valid point but as we say in Holland "my chimney has to keep producing smoke as well", I can only do so much as time will permit me and within that limit I'm willing to help out as much as I am able. I really enjoy programming b.t.w. but the problem is I like it to much at times and the reality of things is I cant let it get in the way of my business, after all one has to make a living first.

I'm curious at the data anyway so whenever Rob is ready to get back here we might be able to join forces, it all depends at the skills required.

·
Registered
110 Posts
Discussion Starter · #33 ·
the basic program is writen in c# i mainly do .net and web development but the main gutenprint sorce is c for the linux system i have no experience in c or linux so looking for someone to help with that side pm me your email adresse i prob would like to pick your bains about some bits and pieces

Many Thanks

Rob

·
Registered
38 Posts
the basic program is writen in c# i mainly do .net and web development but the main gutenprint sorce is c for the linux system i have no experience in c or linux so looking for someone to help with that side pm me your email adresse i prob would like to pick your bains about some bits and pieces
I'll send a pm. So if I understand you correctly there isnt any code modifications done on the source code yet ? Anyway, cant help you out with Linux as I have 0 hour experience with it, work never required to. Isnt there a Gutenprint Windows port/fork (source code) available b.t.w. ?

·
Registered
110 Posts
Discussion Starter · #35 ·
its just ported to windows there is no source code for a windows version and yes you are correct im using a frelly avaliable version of gutenprint what i really want to do is totally bypass the gutenprint interface so you sellect all the settings right in gutenrip main screen

·
Registered
38 Posts
its just ported to windows there is no source code for a windows version and yes you are correct im using a frelly avaliable version of gutenprint what i really want to do is totally bypass the gutenprint interface so you sellect all the settings right in gutenrip main screen
Well, I have no experience running Linux at all and to be honest about this project I fully grasp your enthousiasm and willingness to do something with it but at this stage and without the Windows source code its not doable at all, simply put it would take up to much time to get into it, it would be like the blind leading the blind.

I'm sorry man, there are too many difficulties involved here, my advise to you is to get realistic about it and spend your time and energy on a more suited project.

Regards

·
Registered
9,534 Posts
Maybe it is time to contact the developers of wingp or gutenprint for windows. I did try to contact some of them earlier with no reply but maybe you'll have better luck.

wingp - Windows printing system based on Gutenprint. - Google Project Hosting

[email protected]
[email protected]
[email protected]

Forum ixbt.com

Forum resetters.ru

It says in this wingp site
http://95.154.230.253/ip-1/encoded/...29tL3Avd2luZ3Avc291cmNlL2NoZWNrb3V0&f=norefer

Command-line access

Use this command to anonymously check out the latest project source code:
# Non-members may check out a read-only working copy anonymously over HTTP.
svn checkout wingp - Revision 127: / wingp-read-only
So, there seems to a windows source code available for members. I also think Robert Kravitz is in contact with the developers of wingp.

This is a communication from the developers of OpenICC who, based on their signatures, are also the developers of wingp

Drop size calibration. New section. - Gutenprint (formerly Gimp-Print) printer driver development - ArchiveOrange

·
Registered
110 Posts
Discussion Starter · #39 ·
i am in contact with the porter to windows and im getting alot of help from him he hasnt realeased and source code apart from the photoshop plugin the gpspooler and img2gpraw code nothing for gprint

·
Registered
472 Posts
Good news! I'm designing my dtg and will have something to show soon. I'm designing it with two stable stationary platters and a moving print mechanism on rails. I haven't decided on which printer I will use just yet but I'm thinking the 2200. I'm looking at CNC builds to get ideas.

21 - 40 of 57 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.