T-Shirt Forums banner

1 - 8 of 8 Posts

·
Registered
17 Posts
Discussion Starter #1 (Edited by Moderator)
Hello all,

I was wondering if anyone on the forums had any experience with the GS1 or were members. I read a few posts about people perhaps becoming one and just wanted to know a bit more about the process and the benefits of joining.

I would like to get my clothes into retail outlets and I guess this is a necessary step, so any further information would be helpful.

On thing I noticed was the high first year cost $750 (well, high for me!). I also noticed that there were people out there selling UPC's on the web for money.

Just a thought. Let me know if you have any experience, are interested, think its illegal or innapropriate. Thanks for the feedback!

- Chaning

·
Registered
17 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
The GS1 association is the group that registers UPC's. A UPC is a barcode so that registers can scan your merchandise at the register. As far as I know, vendors need to have their UPC's taken care of before they can get their merchandise in to retail stores.

·
Registered
3,800 Posts
are you talking about goods that are made for Wal-Mark type thing ?

never hurd of that association.

can't you just print-out your own barcodes..... out-of your POS database ?

·
Registered
17 Posts
Discussion Starter #5
Yeah, I'm talking about barcodes on items that are scanned at registers, pretty much all retailers use it.

I don't believe you can print out your own barcodes because if a certain spectrum is not registered to you, then you run the risk of printing the same barcode as another product. (Though I may be wrong!)

·
Registered
3,800 Posts
that makes sense.

I though the barcode database out put would convert and include the item ID, class, dep. weight, and manufacturer name and price... to a bunch of lines etc..

in the event it IS the same as some elses barcode "code", would this not be the responsibility of the retailer to asign a diferent dep. for example........in their POS ?

1 - 8 of 8 Posts