T-Shirt Forums banner

1 - 20 of 23 Posts

·
Registered
69 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I have seen a couple t-shirts, especially at urban outfitters, where the collar of the shirt, the sleeves and the hem at the bottom all have this grinded look.

Does anyone know how to achieve this effect or maybe somthing similar?

Thanks

·
Registered
69 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
I mean kind of like shredded or lightly frayed. Our manufacturer wants to charge us $1.25 a shirt and we want to know if there is anyway to do it ourselves. On the shirt I saw the process done on, the two front and back layers of the shirt collar, bottom, and sleeve were separated and then frayed or "grinded".

I'm sorry for these really vague descriptions.

Thanks

·
Registered
86 Posts
Twin85 said:
I mean kind of like shredded or lightly frayed. Our manufacturer wants to charge us $1.25 a shirt and we want to know if there is anyway to do it ourselves. On the shirt I saw the process done on, the two front and back layers of the shirt collar, bottom, and sleeve were separated and then frayed or "grinded".

Thanks
LOL Trust me...Pay the 1.25 and pass it on to your customers. We tried to give hat bills a "distressed" look a few years back. Lots of power tools, chemicals and wasted time later we just passed the cost on the the customer.

·
Registered
3 Posts

Thanks
im looking for those shirts myself - is there a company that does that kind of stuff ? mass production ? i will really help me

·
Registered
648 Posts

Thanks
Have you tried an exacto blade or razor blade to make the little nicks/cuts at the collar & sleeves?
You can probably then fray the edges a little bit by hand.
Just a suggestion, not sure how much time you want to invest in the project.

·
Registered
348 Posts
Now this just may be the tip of a lifetime....NOT :)

I did this look for my nephew and it killed the spot!

He was asked numerous times how did he get his shirt looking so beat the hell, yet without the "about to fall apart look"

I took some battery acid from my cars battery and strategically placed it around the collar, a few strategic spots, the sleeve edges, and the bottom hem. Let it stand for a few hours (probably didn't need that much time) and put it in the washing machine.

After a few washings, the edges fell apart with a nice grudge, homeless, don't take a bath look :) Cool part, it continued to fray for a few more washing, enhancing the look.

You probably could use something more aggressive, but for this experiment good olé battery acid worked just fine. You could probably shoot a battery and get to the guts, which is were the real aggressive acid is.

Yeap... battery acid! If it was good enough to ruin clothes I didn't want messed up, I was sure it would work for intentional purposes.

Hope that idea helps a few people achieve this look.....don't forget to add labor to the cost of the tee :)

When they fly off the hangers and shelves think of me :)

Jae'

·
Registered
348 Posts
Battery acid? That's pretty extreme! I hope anyone who tries that wears gloves and safety goggles. :)
Pretty extreme huh....got the job done though :)

There was a brand in popular urban circles in the late 80's very early 90's called 'damaged'.

They would shoot their denim jeans and jackets with 12 gauge shotguns and other weaponry....to give their clothes the random holes look. I don't know how they mass produced this look once they moved to the big leagues.

Maybe they hired firing squads :)

Jae'

·
Registered
158 Posts
Instead of battery acid, try bleach. Not that color safe stuff, but good old fashioned bleach. Place it in the spots you would use the acid and let it sit a while before washing it. I've used it in the past and it works really good.

·
Registered
62 Posts
I have heard that using a dremel tool works nicely. I personally haven't used one, but I'm sure you can find them at Home Depot or the like.

·
Registered
27 Posts
I have been in the overseas factories..they actually use a belt grinder with heavy grit.....some are hand knicked with scissors.

·
Registered
170 Posts
I have been in the overseas factories.
Swish, I want to get apparel and t-shirts manufactured overseas. I've researched It for years, but never persued It, because of lack of knowledge. Do you have any feedback on this.

I have knowledge of sharing containers with other people. I found manufacturer, but I can't figure out how to get a large number of items to Colorado, where I live.

Not really sure about customs, custom brokers, agents, etc. The manufacturer that I found overseas has shipped me samples FedEX, but It was really expensive, for the four pieces that they shipped to me from China, India, and Pakistan.

I found a manuafcturer that will do 500 pieces out of India, and that's what I would like to start with.

PS - shirt distress with a large wire wheel, (like the paint stripper ones, or bigger 5" -6" diameter), on a drill...And keep your drill and hands moving side to side.
Bend a few of the wires slightly, 45-90 degrees, with needle nose pliers so It will actually grab the garment. Let me know how this works for you.

Thanks for all,
Jim

1 - 20 of 23 Posts