T-Shirt Forums banner

1 - 6 of 6 Posts

·
Registered
3 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Hello everyone, My name is Justin I have been a member of the forum for awhile now and I thought it was time I made my introductions to everyone as I have thought of some questions to ask you well informed folks and I was always taught its rude not to say hello, before you ask something of someone.

I am not exactly new to the business, being a child of the 80's I remember some of the origins of custom tee's (atleast for me) when you could go into a T-Shirt Shop and get a tee or satin jacket customized and pressed (or screened) up just like crazy Murdock from the A-Team. I started doing tee in the 5th grade for the sheer joy of destroying a fresh pack of Fruit Of The Looms with my Miami Vice-colored 3 pak of puffed fabric paint that peeled off after 2 washes just to tick of my parents, but because I was the first one in my school to do this I sold tees to friends for a few bucks. About 2-3 years ago I got a job working in a local clothing store where I was asked to make custom (Heat Transfer) tees for the customers at no out of pocket cost to me for a profit of 7$ per shirt. Things worked well and I learned a new craft or relearned an old one I should say, but when I started making more money then the owner of the shop, I begin to be sabotaged and cheated so I quit.

It was at that time I decided that I'd found something I love to do! I had observed during my previous tee work that my employer was more into quantity then quality, he used cheap trans paper, a home iron, defective tees, and didn't follow manufactures instructions on application. Despite all of that I still managed to make great designs, both at work and on my own time, and left with my workmenship rep intact. It was from all of that the idea of Persona Ink was born, "If you can think it, we can ink it", I wanted to take my personal ideas of quality and impliment them into the customers ideas of customizaton, a complete head to toe ball caps to sneaks business. Due to space, budget, and the huge amount of reading and research I am doing, things are going slow, but slow and steady wins the race as they say. I have a 16x20 press, about 5 dozens t-shirts, mouse pads, a ton of art work, and a dream. I have purchased 2 great books that I have read a million times! (Terrific T-Shirts by Chris Rankin, and Cindy Brown's How To Make Money.....) and I just got my first big order for a local school function, 280 shirts.

I do apologize for the length of this post, but first impressions and all that, my hobbies include, cooking, reading, writing, and just basically anything artistic and/or having to do with collecting.

Well Thanks For Your Time Everyone - Justin

·
Premium Member
27,700 Posts
Hi Justin, welcome to the T-Shirt Forums!

Thanks for taking the time to register, post and most importantly, share your story! It's always cool to hear people's "history with t-shirts".

1 - 6 of 6 Posts