T-Shirt Forums banner

1 - 10 of 10 Posts

·
Registered
43 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
After years and years of collecting, wearing and constantly looking for great t-shirts I decided make it easy on myself and make my own. And sell a bunch along the way to support this bad habit.

So I took the plunge. Got myself a GeoKnight JetPress 14--starting out reasonably first before really diving in--some transfer papers, shirts and some cool designs by yours truly.

The press arrived at 4 p.m. today. Now four hours later, I only totally screwed up 4 shirts, kind of screwed up three others and one is absolutely perfect!

Now I need help! My colors, especially reds, don't seem true. (I'm using an Epson photo printer with Coastal Business Jet Dark paper.)

WORSE YET!!! There's a ghost image of the press platen around the transfer! I had a cover sheet on the image, a teflon cover thingy over the
whole part in the press and it's there!!! A 12x14 image of the press base.
Not too attractive!

What the heck am I doing wrong?

Glad this forum is here. You guys rock!!!

From where the tall corn grows....HELP!!!!

·
Registered
4,766 Posts
Need photo to see problem. feel free to email me picture if you have digital camera. I use mighty press but I don't think the difference is the press. By the way you only ruined 4 shirts.. I have a doze shirts my wife calls my sleep shirts. there are all kinds of designs on them.. It is a new art call "Mistakes"

·
Registered
43 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
Gotcha here too. Think those "Mistakes" will sell for more $$$? I'm thinking not "Mistakes" but "Limited Editions" or "Artist's Proofs!!"

That'd make my wife happy.

Yeh, right......

I'll get photos to you tomorrow.

Thanks for your help.

·
Registered
49 Posts
Hi,
My brother inlaw is from Stuart out side Des Moines, Good Corn!!!.
anyway it sounds like you need to register your screen so the colors
are matching when you print. If you alter the image before your print
( Changeing hue and Ect,,) you can print test on reg paper.
But thats a pain . learn how to adjust you screen to match your printer.
and your colors will be true.
Fred in Pasadena Ca

·
Premium Member
10,512 Posts
Teeshirtman said:
anyway it sounds like you need to register your screen so the colors are matching when you print.
Do you mean callibrate your screen colours? (I was momentarily confused beause "register your screen" has an entirely different meaning... and nothing to do with using a heat press)

·
Registered
43 Posts
Discussion Starter #7
Thanks for the tip. I think I've got the problem/situation under control. Sort of. I have tried doing some pre-proofing, it is a pain for sure but helpful to a point. And monitor adjustments are a must!

And Stuart, Iowa? It's official slogan is "Home of 1,600 Good Eggs---and a few stinkers."

Where's your brother in-law fit in?

Thanks again.

·
Registered
49 Posts
Oh ,
He goes back to I twice a year and he says that some one opened a shirt store
and it looked pretty busy.

Good luck.

Yes I ment Calibrate.....

Thanks Solmu

·
Registered
63 Posts
That's strange, I've never seen any ghost impression of the heat press on store bought t-shirts. How do they do that? Do they just use such a big heat press that it encircles the entire t-shirt?

·
Premium Member
10,512 Posts
That won't solve the problem - I've pressed designs in a 1.2 x 1m press, and there's an impression in the fabric because the paper was smaller than the fabric (so there's a press mark the size of the paper, just like a copper plate etch print, etc.).

1 - 10 of 10 Posts