T-Shirt Forums banner
1 - 8 of 8 Posts

· Registered
37 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I've had my FreeJet 330 for a few months now and I'm really digging it. Curious to see some prints you guys have done on yours and what kinds of settings/tweaks you're experimenting with. Let's see what you got!

Here's one I did for our friends at a local streetwear brand. Front and back print. For the back print (12"x14") I split it into two jobs (great tip from the OmniPrint guys that I use a lot for color prints on dark garments). Basically on Direct RIP, I set it as 'Black media' then disable the color pass, and print. Then, I set it as 'White media' and print that in lieu of the color print. This saves a bit of white ink and gives you 100% color highlight for a brighter print.

· Registered
314 Posts
Great - Love that print!
Just curious -how much did Kothari (Direct RIP) say that print cost you? And is that a Black T or Navy? I know that trick too, thanks to Said at Omni... I never print a WUB under Black ink on 'color' Tees. On Black Tees I just use the black setting and it does the 'knock out' treatment better than most RIPS... So many parameters to tweak on Kothari RIP, wait until you use the "fuziness" feature - it prints some the 'glow' effect VERY well.

Here are a couple UFC promo/gathering designs we did for a VIP fighter (for a party, not for resale). Took a HD photo of a real Python and sat it in the lettering, Turned out nice... Notice the detail on Jones knocking the snot out of Evans haha...

Attachments

· Registered
37 Posts
Discussion Starter · #3 ·
Definitely some impressive results there, that python texture is unreal! I was just reading your trials with the Firebird inks, very interesting. The solid red on the UFC lettering is awesome. When getting saturated solid colors like that on a black tee, do you lower your underbase resolution or have another tactic? I always find the white base shows through a little on all my black tees. I'm using DP pretreat and cure the final print at '0' pressure on my Hotronix heat press for 90 seconds x 2.

The cost for that design as per DirectRIP is as follows:
Underbase cost is $2.80 (on 'black media' as I have it set)
'White media' color layer is $1.56
Total: $4.36

· Registered
314 Posts
Wow - $4+ Dollars! I've never had a print that went that high, either that or I'm using my Kothari cost parameter all wrong..

That Red is DuPont CMYK over Firebird White (1440x1440 for both passes) - at about 3 on my GeoKnight press. No bleed-through of white either... Honestly, that little issue has all but disappeared with the Firebird white, possibly due to it being thinner. That DP white is like Elmers Glue lol. I washed that Jones/UFC shirt too and no change yet.

I just used the factory setting for black Tees, and it came out that way. Didn't tamper with any parameters. Check out later on that Firebird thread, I will wash and destroy those 3 shirts with fingers crossed...

· Registered
37 Posts
Discussion Starter · #5 ·
I've just ordered some Image Armor pt for both light and dark shirts, excited to see the results!

I've printed a few shirt designs over $4 but they're usually full-size (12"x17"), full-color designs. The white underbase really eats most of that cost at the stock 1440x1440 resolution. I haven't really experimented yet with a lower resolution underbase.

· Registered
314 Posts
All good - You'll love the Image Armor/DuPont combo.... It'll be love at first smell.

I wouldn't go under 1440 on any print unless your intention was to provide a lower opacity effect. 1440x720 maybe, but anything under will not give visual satisfaction, just my 2 cents..

Also, it is very easy to go to Home Depot and cut a piece of 13x22" Lexan plexiglass to upgrade your platen's printable area... I've done some large prints, but never noted the ink cost

· Registered
1 Posts
I've had my FreeJet 330 for a few months now and I'm really digging it. Curious to see some prints you guys have done on yours and what kinds of settings/tweaks you're experimenting with. Let's see what you got!

Here's one I did for our friends at a local streetwear brand. Front and back print. For the back print (12"x14") I split it into two jobs (great tip from the OmniPrint guys that I use a lot for color prints on dark garments). Basically on Direct RIP, I set it as 'Black media' then disable the color pass, and print. Then, I set it as 'White media' and print that in lieu of the color print. This saves a bit of white ink and gives you 100% color highlight for a brighter print.
View attachment 88177
Where do I disable the color pass in Direct RIP?

1 - 8 of 8 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.