T-Shirt Forums banner
1 - 9 of 9 Posts

· Registered
621 Posts
I got a tablet. Played with it, was three thumbs. Decidied I am forever mouse and keyboard. I think a graphics tablet is suited to those starting with good to great hand drawing skills and want a way to translate that to the computer.

Decades of software development have been geared toward the mouse. Only recently have software geared toward true hand drawing skills started catching up. So if you are a talented person with hand drawing skills already, it is probably worthwhile. If you are not, I suggest sticking to the mouse and constructing graphics rather than drawing them.

· Registered
1,384 Posts
I use wacom. I don't agree with dcbevins. You could use tablet in photoshop for years. And in Illustrator and bunch of other software. It is not all about drawing. I do vector stuff with it. And I do it much faster then with mouse. Not to mention my hand don't hurt me anymore. I was on a good way to get carpal tunnel syndrom. That was the reason I switched to wacom. I use wacom even for browsing... I have the one with touch thingy, so I browse with fingers.

User Ripcord uses trackball. So basicly mouse is not the only option. I know one thing though. I will never go back to mouse only. I use mouse from time to time if I wanna have break from wacom. But not for work, cause it's useless. For browsing or some gaming from time to time.

To each their own.

As a side note/ I was testing few years ago, when I had pains in my hand some software for voice control computer. Didn't work like I was hooping. Maybe now is better. -.-

I would like to say: Open new document and my Illustrator would open new document -.-

· Registered
3,095 Posts
Yeah! For vector drawing I'll always use a trackball. I use it for some raster work too, but I do have a Wacom that I use for photo retouching, airbrushing, blending etc.

· Registered
7 Posts
for Photoshop 100% yes. I have 3. I have them everywhere, laptop, tower etc... You can get real precise edits etc. I stick to photoshop so couldnt tell u if illustrator vector stuff is a must...

b4 you buy ask yourself this...

Are you an illustrator painter and want to create top end pictures of dragons or superheroes flying thru fire... then go for top spec (i have a cintiqu 21, cost $1000)

Are u into quick photo edits cuttin stuff out for background removal.. I use my wacom intuos, cost about $60-70

In a nutshell they are both great, just dont get sucked into buying something your not gonna use to its full potential

:D

· Registered
1,534 Posts
Regarding the Mobile Studio Pro, I would say that if you're planning to use it outside of a work center, then it's probably too big and heavy to be considered "mobile". If your idea of mobile is taking it from one room to another in a work center, and you don't want to buy a desktop sized Cintiq, then it's the best bet.

As for using tablets in general for art, I would recommend them regardless of your level of skill. If you can trace, then you can make magic with a stylus. As your skills grow, you can do amazing things even without amazing art skills. Things that you wouldn't dream of trying with a mouse.

Personally, all of my devices are stylus enabled.

1 - 9 of 9 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.