T-Shirt Forums banner

1 - 20 of 20 Posts

·
Registered
8 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I have found sellers on Ebay selling Coraldraw x4 for 200 bucks. I'm new to Ebay so I just don't want to get ripped off. They also sale CoralDraw x3 for the same price. What's the difference? Anyone know where I should buy from? I have a $250 budget. I also have windows vista.
Thanks!!!!!!

·
Registered
1,502 Posts
Just make sure there not educational copy's or you might have trouble registering them. Have you look ed at the free ones like Gump?

·
Registered
1,231 Posts
Take a look at www.freeserifsoftware.com which has a lot of the programs you need for about $10/commercial license, make sure to purchase it because if you just download the free version they do not allow for a commercial use, unless you're just planning on printing stuff for yourself. If you're just using it for t-shirt design you can't find a better software, in my opinion.

·
Registered
383 Posts
Take a look at Xara Extreme that's in your price range and a great program.

Software on E-Bay is most likely pirated, that's why it's so cheap.

·
Registered
1,055 Posts
Just make sure there not educational copy's or you might have trouble registering them. Have you look ed at the free ones like Gump?
Here's a link to the free graphics program Gimp...
GIMP - The GNU Image Manipulation Program

and Inkscape... it's an open source(free)
vector editor...
Inkscape. Draw Freely.

and CorelX3 would be great also... beware of cheap ebay offers... you can buy the student version from Corel directly... not sure of price...?

·
Registered
32 Posts
I have GIMP, and it's great, but does anyone know what the advantages/disadvantages are to using a different program such as Inkscape? Are they basically the same thing, or is one preferred for making designs to be printed on shirts?

·
Registered
1,231 Posts
If you have and understand GIMP than you'll get most of the other open source software, check into www.blender.org, if you looking for the killer 3D modeling as well as animations, they recently released a brand new product with tons of increased functionality. However, a lot of those type of programs aren't needed for the t-shirt industry. I use them, as well as adobe and other purchased software, because t-shirts isn't the only market that I'm in...

·
Registered
8,082 Posts
the difference between gimp and inkscape is like the difference between photoshop and illustrator...one is for photo manipulation...the other is a vector image program

·
Registered
354 Posts
If you want a student copy go academicsuperstore.com they are legit and I have bought stuff on there before. You do have to prove you are a student. I was also in my local community college and i saw a flyer for adobe for 200 bucks. If you are in college then go to your bookstore and talk to someone up there and they should be able to help you out. I am taking a graphic design class up there so i am going to pick that up.

·
Registered
19 Posts
There are versions of Corel X3 on amazon as well for 179.00. I am pretty sure it said full version.
Also www.digitalartsolutions.com will sell yu a brand new version of Corel X3 for 200.00.
The normal joe screenprinter won't ever need to upgrade, but if you like to stay current you ca always buy the year old version. Just that you'd always be a year behind.

Steve

·
Registered
29 Posts
I would stay away from Ebay completely for a purchase like this. Ten years ago you could get great deals but now most of the "deals" are pirated. If you do decide to take the risk, be absolutely sure that the seller has good feedback. I would only buy from someone with 40 or more pieces of feedback, and at least a 97% positive rating. Same thing on Amazon, unless you are actually buying it from Amazon.com. Their "marketplace" is not really any safer than Ebay.

Both sites give you some buyer protection, but you will probably have to wait a month or two to get your refund if it turns out to be pirated or unregisterable. Just too much of a hassle in my opinion.

·
Registered
417 Posts
My first and only experience buying Adobe Photoshop years ago on ebay turned out to be "a pirated" copy. The fellow skipped town with my and several other people's $$$. I got all but $25 of my money back from ebay but it as a lesson learned.

I now avoid buying "ANY" software from ebay.

I either buy on amazon.com or i look for OEM version of the software where you don't get the manuals just the cd. I don't care about registering the software i just want to use it and know it's legit.

But as for buying software of any kind people have suggested several things to you. I saw one person mention "Xara Extreme". Definitely take a look at it. That software is really great, very inexpensive compared to Corel, Illustrator, etc. and you can do about the same.

I was using corel and photoshop until i happened upon it. I now xara primarily for my t-shirt designing purposed because i can do vector as well as raster type graphics. They have a 30 day trial and loads of videos on their website to show you how to use it.

They also have a forum that is full of season users that are willing to help. I haven't had one incident where i have asked a question and within a hour had an answer.

Graphics Software by Xara

Forum; TalkGraphics.com - graphics forums and galleries

·
Registered
19 Posts
So as the industry revolves around Corel and photoshop. How does this program fit in?
Can you use corel files with it?
Are you able to manipulate a template to change lettering and such.
I'm not a big graphics type of person so there questions maybe elementary.

Thanks

·
Registered
8 Posts
Discussion Starter · #16 ·
Thanks for the info! I had a bad feeling about Ebay so good thing I didn't do it. All I'm wanting to do is scan in some hand drawn designs, clean them up and then separate the images as needed for different colors on the silk screen. So does Xara Extreme and Gimp have these capabilities? I'm new to this so i don't know what the lingo would be separating the image and all that. What terms should I be looking for when looking at this software?

·
Registered
417 Posts
So as the industry revolves around Corel and photoshop. How does this program fit in?
Can you use corel files with it?
Are you able to manipulate a template to change lettering and such.
I'm not a big graphics type of person so there questions maybe elementary.

Thanks
Hi Steve,

Speaking just for Xara;

If you are using templates in corel format (that's important to you) then you may want to buy corel.

I have been using corel draw for years and haven't missed anything by using xara more. There are times when i do open corel draw (version 11) and copy the file and paste it into xara and vice versa.

Corel draw used to sell Xara a long time ago but the contract ran out so now Xara is selling their own software.

For some strange reason Xara doesn't OPEN corel file past version 5. You would think they do.

But the way around it is i usually open the file and cut n paste the file from Corel to Xara.

The other thing i do is save the file as an CMX and then i can open it in xara.

It really will depend on the person's use. If you are really keen on using templates you buy in corel draw format you can download the trial version of xara and see if you can cut-n-paste the file into xara.

As for photoshop i can open those. I have the lastest version of Xara (not the pro) i have the regular version

If you are printing FULL COLOR transfers on your inkjet or color laser xara is just as powerful/good as Corel or Photoshop. You can create vector art, color it, turn it into a raster image, do 3D, etc.

If you are doing screenprinting you would need the pro version as it has the color separation feature.

·
Registered
417 Posts
Thanks for the info! I had a bad feeling about Ebay so good thing I didn't do it. All I'm wanting to do is scan in some hand drawn designs, clean them up and then separate the images as needed for different colors on the silk screen. So does Xara Extreme and Gimp have these capabilities? I'm new to this so i don't know what the lingo would be separating the image and all that. What terms should I be looking for when looking at this software?
Hi,

I can only speak for Xara in saying i does offer color seperation if you get the "PRO VERSION". I never tested that feature so i suggest downloading a copy (usually they offer the pro version as the download) and try it out.

This is their splash on their features. If you scroll down to the bottom of the page you'll see what they say about the color separation

http://xara.com/us/products/xtreme/features/feature?id=771

What you "CAN'T" do in xara is "EDIT" a raster graphic. Meaning you couldn't pull in a design you created and use an eraser tool or magic wand tool. You can cut out things but it's more a matter of turning the design into a editable shape and then shaping the nodes to get rid of any part you don't want.

It's a very powerful Vector Art type software and amazing things can be created from it (very photo realistic). You can also do some some "photo manipulation" stuff.

Here are a few videos to what it can do;
Xara Xtreme Tutorials

·
Registered
214 Posts
You would want to inkscape for something like that. You can upload images, trace them/mess with them. It's a ridiculously powerful piece of design software. And it can open photoshop and illustrator files. I t can also open corel files if you use they python library (yet another free download)

·
Registered
417 Posts
I downloaded Inkscape and played around with it.

It is a nice user friendly program. It lacks some features i like about xara but it has some features i feel are easier to than xara. I was able to draw a bit faster in it as i normally draw shapes then shape the nodes on them to make my image.

Here's my first drawing (a stick person) which i find a challenge to draw although they look simple.

It took me about 1 hour just playing around with the different tools and i love how easy the draw tool is. I can see using this to draw quicky graphics (faster) and then opening them in xara to add spice, shading, etc. to.

All said it does seem to be a very powerful tool for FREE.

Attachments

1 - 20 of 20 Posts