T-Shirt Forums banner
1 - 14 of 14 Posts

· Registered
20 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Hello - I really don't know many graphic designers and over the weekend I needed one so I contacted the local guy in town to take my idea from my head onto the computer. He is charging 35 bucks per hour and will show me what he has this afternoon. If I don't like it I assume modifications will be made and he'll charge per hour for those as well. Then.. the next step is to give design to my printer and he has to charge to make a template for each design (which we are being charged for), then print each shirt. So I have 2 questions for you guys..
#1. For the Graphics part is it normal to charge per hour (and is $35 high,low or average), or is a flat rate once the design is complete more industry standard?
#2. For the print job does a new template need to be made for each design and should we be charged every time?

I'm new at this and loving it but need to wrap my brain around all this I don't understand. Thanks in advance.

MaryAnn
:confused:

· Administrator
18,946 Posts
MaryAnn,

It is not unusual to be charged by the hour for graphic design. To better control your budget though, in the future you would want to have a flat rate which should provide you with 1 or 2 revisions/adjustments.

Once done, depending on the type of work he is doing for you, he should provide you with the digital files that will allow you to do whatever you want with them without having to go back to him for templates or sizing adjustments.

· Registered
3,838 Posts
Hello - I really don't know many graphic designers and over the weekend I needed one so I contacted the local guy in town to take my idea from my head onto the computer. He is charging 35 bucks per hour and will show me what he has this afternoon. If I don't like it I assume modifications will be made and he'll charge per hour for those as well. Then.. the next step is to give design to my printer and he has to charge to make a template for each design (which we are being charged for), then print each shirt. So I have 2 questions for you guys..
#1. For the Graphics part is it normal to charge per hour (and is $35 high,low or average), or is a flat rate once the design is complete more industry standard?
#2. For the print job does a new template need to be made for each design and should we be charged every time?

I'm new at this and loving it but need to wrap my brain around all this I don't understand. Thanks in advance.

MaryAnn
:confused:
$35 is actually on a low side. Some people charge upwards of $60-$80, with design firms getting way more. New artists may go as low as $20. Remember that their time is money. Lawyers, doctors and mechanics all get paid by the hour, as well as plumbers, electricians, etc.

I'm not sure I understand the "template" aspect, so I can't comment on that, unless you elaborate.

· Registered
3,838 Posts
I guess I meant positives, screens and set ups. Everytime there is a new design this is what my printer does, we are charged for each one. I'm just wondering if it's the norm?
Yes that is the norm for printers to charge for that. Some designers can do the separations as well.

· Registered
65 Posts
Hey Mary-ann

Most printers will still charge you an art fee for separating and or getting the art ready to print. I recommend you use your printers in house designer when possible this way you can consolidate the art charge and save money. The other benefit of this is that the printers' designer will obviously create the design with the end in mind, meaning the proof he sends you is more likely to match the final product. This is not always the case with art provided by a third party designer. Another tip is to find a good printer and develop a relationship with the artist. I have worked as a designer at several screenprint shops and in every instance the art charge was anything but fixed. while we did have a standard hourly rate. Many times fees were discounted or even waived for frequent customers. As far as the 35 dollar an hour charge... that's pretty reasonable I have worked at sign, screenprinter and embroidery shops and the art charges have ranged from 35 to 85 dollars and hour. Most graphic design agencies fees are in the hundreds so 35 is actually on the low end of the spectrum. hope this helps.

· Registered
31 Posts
I charge $60/hr/15 min minimum, 3 allowed revisions after 1st proof. Customer retains all digital files of art. For customers who also print with us, a discount is given, sometimes substantially, depending on quantity ordered.

· Registered
2 Posts
Greetings!
It is not unusual to charge that much. Now for the redesigns, there should be a bit more "lee-way" in order to get it "just right".
When it goes to print, it should already be in the needed format, you will have to pay for the custom die cut, that is typical.

Possibly negotiate with the designer for a "flat rate".

· Registered
1,717 Posts
Art work is totally separate from screen print charges. Sounds to me like $35.00 is cheap, if the screen printer gets the artwork in separations (meaning your colors are separated) and in a format they can print film positives from there should be no additional art charge.

What they will charge you for is called a screen charge, and will be a charged for each screen (every different color) to cover there cost of Emulsion which is a photo sensitive coating that holds the image on the screen once burned, it also includes there cost of coating and reclaiming the screen. It usually will be between $10-$20 per screen. Screens have to be redone every time you reprint this design unless they will save them for a reprint. With our bigger customers we don't charge to do this, but small runs we can't, as screens cost about $20 dollars each and to not be able to reuse them plus the storage space, costs us money.
If you look at a tee shirt and count the colors, say it's four and it's on a light colored shirt, that would be 4 screens needed. If its on a dark or black shirt add one more screen as you need an under base screen.
I have been describing spot color printing as I don't think you can get a four color process art for $35.00 an hour.
Hope it helps, John :)

1 - 14 of 14 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.