T-Shirt Forums banner

1 - 20 of 21 Posts

·
Registered
19 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Hello folks,need ur advise on this ..i have been a screen printer and embroidery for the last 12 years I decided is time to incorporate DTG to my business. I attended the SGIA Vegas show this last month and I went shopping..I narrow my options between the Brother gt381 and Epson.
I got a few samples from each...and got to tell you the epson printed really nice!!!!. I like the whole bundle package brother is offering with 0% financing for 3 years plus a bunch other stuff.

But I recently saw a post under brother dtg forum about how easy the prints can be scratched off...I tested the samples I got from the show..and it's true!!! Very minimum rubbing and the whole things started to peeled...i threw it into my conveyor dryer just to see if that will help and ...nope ...I grab the epson sample and try to do the same and no peeling....I really had to put a lot of pressure to try to removed the ink....
I got finance and approved by brother.....but I don't know what to do....
shirts are in the washer right now!!! Am gonna washed them like 4 or 5 times and see what happens.....anyone of u experience that?

·
Registered
483 Posts
Something is not right because I can tell you that after 28,000 prints on my brother I have never had anyone complain about prints rubbing off. As a matter a fact this shirt is the first white ink shirt I printed 1.5 years ago and have washed it at least 50 times and as you can see it still looks great. I just wore it yesterday.

Sent from my SAMSUNG-SGH-I317 using T-Shirt Forums

Attachments

·
Registered
9,392 Posts
It is true, you can often times scratch the prints off but that only proves if you abuse the print it will come off. Have you tried that same thing with screen printing?

·
Registered
19 Posts
Discussion Starter · #4 ·
I sure did!!! No rubbing off ,as longest is cure properly....that was my first taught..maybe this shirt is not cured..like I said I run it thru my dryer twice with no improvements

·
Registered
241 Posts
It happens from time to time. I think it has to do with the amount of white underbase and improperly curing.
When it happened to me with hoodies it really had me worried. I talked with tech support and the only thing they suggested was to cure the print longer. It didn't work. I ended bringing the 50+ hoodies and put them in the clothes dryers at high temp for about 1/2 hour. 10 at the time. It helped a little, enough to gain confidence in delivering the job. Sometimes it happens with t-shirts. Most of the times the print is fine. You can do a scratch test with anything and it is bound to scratch including screen printed.

I have ended printing two passes, one white and then color depending of the amount of white underbase.

The only two things I am disappointed with brothers inks are the inability to print white on polyblends and the scratch issues. ARE YOU READING BROTHERS???

CD

·
Registered
7,360 Posts
I am not saying follows because I am a Epson dealer.
Ink quality such as feeling of after cured are Brother(wet feel) epson(dry and smooth)
Curing window. Epson is more generouse.
If you choose because of wash out or scratch off You should give another chance to Brother.
If Brother cures correctly at show It will never comes off. AA often make this mistakes at show too. Lol.
You should look into print quality and details and ink price should be your decision factor. Both are good printers but I like Epson better.:)
If you approved with Brother You will be approved any bank.
Good luck!
Cheers! Beers are on me always.

·
Registered
483 Posts
I print on 50/50 every single week for one of my customers. I discourage it as much as I can but he is bent on 50/50.

It's not as bright as cotton and it fades a bit in the wash but he orders every week so it's acceptable to some. Brother is working on new ink and from what I hear it's going to be a huge improvement!

Sent from my SAMSUNG-SGH-I317 using T-Shirt Forums

·
Registered
7,360 Posts
Can the epson print on polyester?
Good question but all DTG can print poly. It is up to Pretreat, Ink and Skill. Dark 100% is still not ready for everybody but it work very hard way. Ask Brian how. IA owner. He got this down. If you own NeoRIP do high light mode and no whites under black ink.
Cheers! Beers are on me always.

·
Registered
393 Posts
Maintenance is huge with DTG. Will you print every day? If not, give Epson a second look. Check both Epson and Brother forums here on user experience and issues and compare the two. I've found that Epson seems to have least amount of issues based on user posts here. Do not make an impulse buy, do your research. DTG is a big investment.

·
Registered
7,360 Posts
Maintenance is huge with DTG. Will you print every day? If not, give Epson a second look. Check both Epson and Brother forums here on user experience and issues and compare the two. I've found that Epson seems to have least amount of issues based on user posts here. Do not make an impulse buy, do your research. DTG is a big investment.
Good advise.:)
Many are waiting couple years. Also, printers are getting better not getting worse. :) Study, study, read and read.
Cheers! Printers are on me always.

·
Registered
241 Posts
I have contacted Brian before regarding the IA pretreatment for poly blends on dark using Brothers white ink. It can't be done. Light shirts with IA light (No White Ink) prints fine, better than no pretreatment. Last batch the pretreatment came with some dark floating matter that mixed throughout the solution, I read before that someone else found the same. I have tried 50/50 with their pretreatment with white ink and the white will not take at all also it migrates badly making the white look grayish, or bluish depending on the color of the garment.

I also read that Epson can't print one pass, is that true? white and color at the same time. A couple of thinks to compare printers are One Pass Printing, 8 color heads (GT-381 -4W/4C) making the prints much faster, and the platen which shirts don't need to be hold down with platen loops (rim).

I don't print everyday, I am a small commercial print shop and T-shirt printing is just another service I provide. To me it is just another printer part of the overall shop equipment. Don't depend on garment printing to make a living.

CD

·
Registered
392 Posts
I have never used a Brother, owned an Anajet for 3 years and now proudly own the Epson F2000. Another item you may consider, I took a class at one of the ISS shows by a graphic designer and he showed the same print from a Brother, Epson and a few other printers. The Brother seemed to have some challenges with the blues...but that could have been the RIP. Others on the forum may have more insight.

I do not print every day, and I really like being able to turn my Epson off, start it up the next time that I print usually a couple of days, I do one "light white channel only head clean" and I am ready to go again. I had an unusually situation and just turned my Epson back on after being off for 7 days, after the 1st light white channel clean 2 channels were showing a good nozzle check, did 2 more light cleans and had all my channels showing good nozzle checks. I could have never done that with my prior printer. I do have my printer in a climate (temperature and humidity) controlled room.

Good luck on your decision journey!

·
Registered
7,360 Posts
I have never used a Brother, owned an Anajet for 3 years and now proudly own the Epson F2000. Another item you may consider, I took a class at one of the ISS shows by a graphic designer and he showed the same print from a Brother, Epson and a few other printers. The Brother seemed to have some challenges with the blues...but that could have been the RIP. Others on the forum may have more insight.

I do not print every day, and I really like being able to turn my Epson off, start it up the next time that I print usually a couple of days, I do one "light white channel only head clean" and I am ready to go again. I had an unusually situation and just turned my Epson back on after being off for 7 days, after the 1st light white channel clean 2 channels were showing a good nozzle check, did 2 more light cleans and had all my channels showing good nozzle checks. I could have never done that with my prior printer. I do have my printer in a climate (temperature and humidity) controlled room.

Good luck on your decision journey!
Epson is perfect fit to you. If anyone will be in similar situation They all should buy Epson. Thank for sharing.
Cheers! Printers are on me always.

·
Registered
188 Posts
Wow we sound like we were in the same boat. So I am on a budget when getting into this dtg business. But I wanted to get the best machine period! So I would have confidence in the product always that I'm giving to the customer.

I got samples from both Epson and brother of the same artwork. I won't lie the Epson looked better. But also was impressed with the brother and felt it was very good printer and like you I got approved through brother for the 3 years and the business bundle is a pretty sweet deal.

To make a long story short 3 years same as cash is a great great deal we thought so we got both machines!! Our business is not up and running yet waiting for the speedtreater to get here should be any day and ten get trained and so forth on both machines but over the long haul I am very excited to really compare both units side by side.

Also why on this topic as I don't have the prices handy what is Epson ink cost compared to brother I know it's cheaper but how much? Also I thought I read that the brother ink cost is more but the machine might use less ink is that true.

Thanks for the help!!

·
Registered
5,720 Posts
Should have you set up shortly. :)

The Epson ink is less expensive. Both printers should use about the same amount of ink printing the same image.

_

·
Premium Member
4,202 Posts
Epson SureColor F2000 Ink (600ml Cartridges):

$0.38 per ml / Colors and White

Brother GT3 Series Ink (380cc Cartridges):

$0.51 per cc / Colors
$0.40 per cc / White (This price is for 2 white cartridges and a cleaning cartridge)

FYI –> 1 ml = 1 cc
EPSON = Low Viscosity Ink
Brother = High Viscosity Ink

It is also my understanding that with a higher viscous ink (thicker), you use less than a lower viscous ink. What percentage depends on the ink, so I don't have those figures for this purpose, but it does appear that even with the higher prices on the Brother (which have come down since the EPSON was introduced), it most likely would print about the same end costs.

1 - 20 of 21 Posts