T-Shirt Forums banner

1 - 18 of 18 Posts

·
Registered
7 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
easy,

just joined up after finding the info on spreadshirt / cafepress incredibly useful... so thought i'd share this

it's a copy/paste of some stuff i found while trying to find out how to "cheat" adwords... okay, not cheat adwords but at least to understand how the system works, and to pay it to your advantage.

i cant remember where it came from but some SEO forum or other...

While the Overture tools he mentions are useful to suss out what keywords people are searching on, Overture isn't worth the money IMO (unless you're hell bent on running it against google adwords, in which case you WILL conclude that adwords is better value, and brings you more traffic.)

I've done Search Engine Optimisation on about 7 sites, for work, for my own ones, and for mates, and the ideas below seem to work well. Always overpay at the start -- and you can't take too much notice of what he says about writing relevant ads. One ad per keyword is ideal... time consuming, but ideal!

Hope it's useful for ya's..... feel free to post questions/comments below, I'll help all i can.

General Info
You must research, research, research before starting any PPC campaign. You need to KNOW what keywords people are searching for and how much they are searching for them. This will save you time and money when you setup your PPC Campaign. Use tools like WordTracker.com, Overture Bid Tool, Overture Keyword Tool, and AdWords Keyword Tool.

I suggest setting up your campaigns, writing your ads, and sorting your keywords before ever signing up for a PPC Account. Do this over 3-4 days, making sure you have everything covered before going in to setup your campaign. If you don't do the research and planning needed, you will get sloppy when you are actaully setting up the campaign and you will miss very important keywords.

Google Specific Tips and Pros/Cons
Google is usually the cheaper of the two PPC Search Engines. It is also the one that will be the most frustrating to setup. All keywords have to get at least a .05% Click Through Rate (CTR) or they will be removed. Here are 5 Simple Tips to make sure this doesn't happen to you and turn off your entire campaign.

1. EVERY KEYWORD SHOULD HAVE IT'S OWN AD GROUP! Is this a pain? YES! Will you thank me later? YES! I sometimes fudge on this rule and put 4-5 similar keyword in a group... but you should NEVER put more than 10 keywords in a group. Why is this? Because if you have an underperforming keyword, it will not turn off your entire campaign. It will also allow you to customize the ads for each keyword, which will get a higer CTR!

2. YOU SHOULD MAKE EVERY KEYWORD AN EXACT MATCH! To do this you will put quotes around the keyword (i.e. "Keyword") when entering it. If you do not do this, Google will show your ad for a lot of keywords that are somehow related to your keyword list. WARNING... You MUST do your research before hand if you want to get optimal traffic using this method. You should know EVERY keyword you want to target, therefore you don't need Google to give much less targeted traffic. If you combine this, with #1, you will have specific keywords with specific ads... Using just these 2 things, my CTR is usually around 4% for an entire campaign. HINT: If you don't want to do all the research needed to get a very big keyword list, use and EXACT MATCH Group and a REGULAR MATCH Group for EACH Keyword. This will allow you to target your keywords AND Get the added Traffic!

3. WRITE KILLER ADS! This is the step that most people forget about. Google gives "extra credit" for ads that have high CTR's. It makes perfect sense... if you have an ad that gets clicked on 9% of the time and are paying $.20 and someone else has an ad that gets clicked on .05% and they pay $1/click, the first option will make Google more money. IF YOU HAVE A GREAT AD, YOU WILL SAVE MONEY! Trust me. So you want to write killer ads now huh? Here are 3 simple things that will help.

- Get their attention with the first line. This is the text that people will click on AND LOOK AT. If this is your company name YOU WILL NOT GET CLICKS. Do something different in your first line. Ask a question, be funny, make your ad stand out somehow.

- If you aren't a good, creative writer, look at the other ads that are at the top for the keywords you want. Find things about each you like and form your own ad. DO NOT just copy one... that will just hurt both of you.

- Make 3 similar, but unique remarks. You have 3 lines, use them all. Three short, powerful messages will help you get more traffic. Make sure each HAS TO DO WITH THE KEYWORDS THAT ARE IN THE ADGROUP. If you set it up the way I suggest, you can make every ad about the keyword they searched for. This will make your ads more targeted then the others who use the same ad for every keyword. DON'T BE THAT GUY!

4. OVERPAY FOR THE FIRST MONTH! Like I said before, Google gives extra credit for high CTR's. Also, the #1, 2, and 3 positions get a higher CTR naturally. If you can pay a little extra and put your keywords in those spots AND do everything else, you will get a high CTR... I have gotten well over 12% for the month at times. Then you can back off you Cost Per Click and you will still get the benifit of having that high CTR. You will probably get a bit less traffic, but it will also be more in your budget. The added benifit is you will also see your traffic POTENTIAL for Google and know where you can get to just by raising your CPC again.

5. TEST YOUR ADS AND EVOLVE YOUR CAMPAIGN. Run 2 (and only 2) Ads in each and every Ad Group. At least once a month check the CTR for each ad. Whichever is the best, keep it. Whichever is the worst, delete or tweak it. Two competing ads will give you an idea of what is working and what isn't. Try different things. If you see something you tried in one Group, try it in your other groups the next month. If you create it and leave it, you are missing out on the full potential!

·
Registered
59 Posts
Do not overlook Overture. I disagree with damion's assertion that adwords is much more valuable. I think it depends on the keywords you're fighting for. Personally, our business sees much higher conversions through Yahoo Search Marketing.

·
Registered
505 Posts
A search of google looking for 'google suggest' brought up this:
Google
The number that appears next to the word you type in the suggest box - is that the # of results that would come up if you were searching for it? Or is that the # of times that word has been searched for by others?
Can you get reports from Google that tell you how many times specific words have been searched for? Can it be broken down by time periods (past month, year etc)?

·
Premium Member
27,698 Posts
The number that appears next to the word you type in the suggest box - is that the # of results that would come up if you were searching for it?
It's the number of results that would come up if you search for it. That gives you an idea of which terms are more popular (the ones with more results are more popular...searched for and used more often).

It can help you figure out which version of a spelling variant is more popular (like t-shirts versus teeshirts).

Can you get reports from Google that tell you how many times specific words have been searched for? Can it be broken down by time periods (past month, year etc)?
No, most search engines keep that information private.

They do have a "trends" feature for Adwords advertiser that will give you sort of a graphical representation of the popularity of a keyword.

Overture has a feature that will tell you how many times a keyword has been searched for on their search engine (yahoo) in the past month. The accuracy is a bit hit and miss, but it can be a good starting research point:
Keyword Selector Tool

There are also third party services that can help you determine the popularity of a keyword, like wordtracker.

If you're going to be using Google Adwords, I would suggest reading over the book: Amazon.com: Winning Results with Google AdWords: Books: Andrew Goodman

·
Registered
505 Posts
Thanks a lot Rodney. That's a really neat tool - Keyword selector. Even if it's not 100% accurate it gives you some idea of what ppl are looking for online.

·
Registered
5 Posts
Hey I notice these threads are quite old...just curious to know if these Adwords tips a still relevant or is there some 08 tips out there I should know about?

·
Registered
31 Posts
Hey I notice these threads are quite old...just curious to know if these Adwords tips a still relevant or is there some 08 tips out there I should know about?
Hey there, I've been using adwords for a couple of months now and have been tweaking the campaign almost daily. Tips, 1, 2, 4 and 5 are definitely still relevant. I am just about to start testing ad variations as suggested in tip 3. I have a low daily budget though just whilst I'm refining the campaign.

·
Registered
16 Posts
Im trying to optimize our adwords. If you guys are making each keyword its own ad (or 4-5 keywords) do you overlap keywords at all or make sure you only use a specific keyword in a single ad and not in multiple ads?

·
Registered
49 Posts
My google browser on the toolbar automatically makes suggestions for search words. It is very cool. It remembers what you search for and will suggest based on that, as well. I just tried the google feature to include your banner as an ad campaign. I have that one rotating with a regular ad. Seems to be doing pretty well.

·
Registered
31 Posts
Im trying to optimize our adwords. If you guys are making each keyword its own ad (or 4-5 keywords) do you overlap keywords at all or make sure you only use a specific keyword in a single ad and not in multiple ads?
I don't overlap keywords in multiple ads, just variations of the same keyword within one ad. It seems to generate the highest CTR, which google likes.

1 - 18 of 18 Posts