T-Shirt Forums banner
1 - 10 of 10 Posts

·
Registered
38 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Okay, so I found a guy selling a used Hix ht-400 for $300. I think it's an older model...so it probably doesn't have all the newest features. What do you guys think? Good deal? Think I'm gonna pick it up...just wanted some final thoughts from you guys. Thanks!

Attachments

·
Registered
38 Posts
Discussion Starter · #2 ·
UPDATE: The guy just informed me the press is about ten years old (he calls it a newer model) but works well. Heated to 430 degrees. Oh, and it's 15x15...not sure if I mentioned that.

·
Registered
1,785 Posts
Yes it is I just sold one for $300 and it was ten years old you can still get parts if you go to there site. you should have no problems with it.

·
Registered
938 Posts
Thanks for the input! Anybody have any advice against the purchase?
Yes. I do believe that warranties are not transferable from one owner to the next with Hix products. (Check with Hix Corp directly to confirm.) As well, given that it is 10 years old, all of the non-heating element warranties have expired.

I almost purchased a used heat press last year. After realizing that I'm not one for taking apart electronics that I'm not familiar with to add/replace old parts, I did not want to clean any grime from years of someone else using the press and I do not like being without some type of warranty on a product I expect to earn me income, I decided to buy new. Call me picky but it's my money! ;)

This is not to say that some used presses are not great presses. I just made a choice that used was not for me.

And as of yesterday, I assembled a new matching stand for my press and bolted the press with help. This was a big deal for me, as the table I had it on was not very sturdy and thus, did not give piece of mind I needed to make sure my press was secure.

My press is a Hix Swingman 20D purchased (new) from one TSF vendor and my stand is the Hix Swingman Stand, purchased from a different TSF vendor.

If you are able to put forth approx another $300, you can get a new Hix 15x15 press, you would have a choice of a clamshell or swinger, and it would include full warranties.

AB

·
Registered
365 Posts
Doesn't look that old to me, but at least its in good shape. If $300 is your limit, you probably won't do much better. I'd recommend spending more if you can afford it. I just bought my press and am really glad I didn't compromise on a lesser model. It has all the bells and whistles which aren't really necessary, but make it a lot easier for newbies to figure out what they are doing. Now that I have a big 16x20 for my shop, I'm looking at a new 15x15 Hix that will travel with me a little easier.

·
Registered
1,629 Posts
Master I am doing the same thing, looking for a smaller one to travel with. Those 16x20's would kill me trying to lug that thing around.

I would buy it if I was you, it does look very well kept. 3 bills for a good named brand heat press is an excellent deal in my eyes.

·
Registered
365 Posts
Gotta try out Coeds suggestion of using the Mitre Table that has wheels. I'm too poor after buying all this stuff for another press right now. Plus, I'm going to have to have that new Hix anyway. I'm ruined after testing it out.

1 - 10 of 10 Posts