T-Shirt Forums banner

1 - 6 of 6 Posts

·
Registered
51 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
What's up everyone, I been lurking here for a while gathering info like everyone else. This site is definitely gold, I feel like Gollum/Smeagal. My precious, mine, mine, mine. In the near future I will be starting my own t-shirt company. I was hoping someone could explain something to me. I recently used the RN# search tool, and found out JONES APPAREL GROUP USA, INC (JONES NY RN54050) is the manufacturer of a particular t-shirt style I like. They are considered a wholesaler and also have many major labels they produce. Plus many other major labels use their services. So will it be hard for me, a minor to order from them, cause I'm sure they're used to large orders? Has anyone had any experience with a major wholesaler/major label like this?

Thanks,

AL

·
Premium Member
27,698 Posts
Hi Al, welcome to the T-Shirt Forums!

So will it be hard for me, a minor to order from them, cause I'm sure they're used to large orders? Has anyone had any experience with a major wholesaler/major label like this?
Probably so. You will usually need to order larger quantities (maybe 2 dozen, maybe 100+) when you are dealing with wholesalers.

Many wholesalers also require that you have a resale permit.

That's not to say it's impossible to do it as a minor, you may just need help from your parent/guardian to help you setup a business structure. Also, if you deal with the companies professionally and on their level, they may be more willing to work with a mature minor.

·
Registered
1,029 Posts
Your age doesnt matter. I started when I was 16.

You will need a tax id, ficticious name, and a resellers licence (I think) and youll be in business. You will have to look that stuff up for your state / country.

Believe me, the wholesalers don't care how old you are...they just want your money. ;)

You wont have to have a minimum order either. Most wholesalers have three price categories...per shirt, per dozen, and per case. If you ask, most wholesalers will give you case pricing, no matter how many you order. Just tell them that you used to buy from someone else, and they gave you case pricing.

·
Registered
51 Posts
Discussion Starter #5
Rodney said:
Hi Al, welcome to the T-Shirt Forums!

Probably so. You will usually need to order larger quantities (maybe 2 dozen, maybe 100+) when you are dealing with wholesalers.

Many wholesalers also require that you have a resale permit.

That's not to say it's impossible to do it as a minor, you may just need help from your parent/guardian to help you setup a business structure. Also, if you deal with the companies professionally and on their level, they may be more willing to work with a mature minor.
I apologize, I meant minor in terms of the "low man on the totem pole". Since I'm new to the t-shirt/garment industry I figured it would be harder for me to place an order because I'm not established as a RL Polo or Hermes. One of the major league players!!! Thank you very much for the response, and the contact info. I will look into a resale licnese.

·
Registered
51 Posts
Discussion Starter #6
jdr8271 said:
Your age doesnt matter. I started when I was 16.

You will need a tax id, ficticious name, and a resellers licence (I think) and youll be in business. You will have to look that stuff up for your state / country.

Believe me, the wholesalers don't care how old you are...they just want your money. ;)

You wont have to have a minimum order either. Most wholesalers have three price categories...per shirt, per dozen, and per case. If you ask, most wholesalers will give you case pricing, no matter how many you order. Just tell them that you used to buy from someone else, and they gave you case pricing.
Thanks Jon, I'm pretty sure I can get my hands on everything you just mentioned. I appreciate the response!

1 - 6 of 6 Posts