T-Shirt Forums banner

Glow in the dark ink

27K views 34 replies 17 participants last post by  Farandwide 
#1 ·
Is there an ink available that can glow in the dark? Or can I get them printed that way?

#8 ·
Hello,

I'm a newbie and interested in printing glow-in-the-dark shirts. I understand that it is more expensive than the ordinary inks used on shirts, may I know the ballpark figure on the diff of phosphorescent inks to the ordinary inks?

Would it be a better idea if I just supply the printer with that ink and if so, where do you think can I buy phosphorescent?

Thank you for your suggestions in advance. Im really hoping to get some advice. Thank you!

#10 ·
There's a huge difference in price. The average ink costs around $50/gal. Phosphorescent ink is about $200/gal. So it's about 4 times as much. But as others have said, other than the price of the ink, it's no different to print with. So the only thing extra you should pay for is the extra cost of ink. But if you supply your own ink (if your screenprinter doesn't have it), then I'm sure that'll help with pricing. But the business aspect is all up to the business. But it's not unusual for people to bring in their own ink for certain jobs.

#13 ·
It's carcinogenic and was causing severe results in people. Instead of Glow in the dark ink you can use UV ink, and in use of Tattoo Industry. it is considered safe, additionally working with it is unlike working with regular ink, its thinner, stays in the skin different and can be a pain to get decent coverage with.

Keep in mind, Glow in the dark has to be able to absorb light in order to emit light without a light source, whereas UV ink reflects light from a UV light source such as a black light.

#16 ·
Luminophore is safe, and therefore can be used even in close contact with skin. Designs applied to fabric by means of screen-printing will be visible in the daytime (the colour is a pale yellow-green) and will shine brightly under weak light or even in its absence. Such designs keep their integrity after many washes.

#27 ·
heres what they responded with.

Hello, Mark!
I'll answer your questions:
as for T-shirts it is almost impossible to make
glowing T-shirt at home. So you should go
to printing office (typography) with our instructions
and ask them to make such a T-shirt.
Luminophore is a powder
that needs some transparent base to be mixed with
(for example lacquer).
The base depends on the surface
of the thing you want to make glowing.
The quantity of the powder depends
on the quantity of the base.
You should add 50% of the powder to 100% of the base.
This mixture will display its glowing effect
if it is applied to a white base,
because as luminophore applied
to a white background possesses
the highest light output.
As an example,
luminosity on a black background
will be almost invisible,
as the colour black overwhelms the glow.
As for wheel rims you'll need 500g of Luminophore,
300 ml of hardener, 1 litre of lacquer, 1 litre of remover
to paint paint 32 wheel rims R14.
But the pressure on the air-brush should be set up minimum.
And the size of the spray pipe (insert) is 0,6 - 1,2.
--
Best Regards,
sales manager
Irina Sevankaeva

Mark

#33 ·
I have been looking into buying a pint of glow in the dark ink, from either silkscreeningsupplies.com, or screenprintingsupplies.com SSS has a pint for like $86 and SPS has it for like $46 dollars. which is a big difference in price, the $86 dollar one is International Coatings which i have used in other colors, but the $46 dollar one is Triangle ink, which i have not, i am a hobby printer so i have to watch how much i spend, i want to know if there is any difference in the two, if anyone knows or has used either. I hope that the more expensive one is like 2X brighter, but they both say they are phosphorescent, so i am open to opinions please.

This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.