T-Shirt Forums banner

1 - 7 of 7 Posts

·
Registered
4,766 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I think we need to add a glossary to this forum. So many people don't understand the terms we use. an example is..
Plastisol ink
pigment ink.
here are some other examples
Hot Peel
Cold Peel
Opaque paper
Opaque ink
Vinyl
release paper
silk screen
mesh screens
Dye ink
RN
Ring spun
so on and so forth.... etc..

I am sure there are about a hundred more.
So ladies and gents what do you think.. If you know a word or term that fits the business of silkscreening / heat pressing we could start sending them in to Rodney who doesn't have enough to do
and he can compile them.
Lou

·
Premium Member
27,698 Posts
Good idea Lou. RN number and ringspun are already defined (See the auto-hyperlink of the word RN).

The software is already in place to have the words defined and automatically link to the definition (like vector, copyright, trademark raster, etc), I just haven't had time to compile all the definitions.

·
Registered
505 Posts
I think that's a great idea Lou. I can't contribute to it yet, but hopefully really soon. (waiting for my Fresener book to arrive :))

I also think down the road it might make Rodney's work (and many other generous contributors' of this forum) a little easier, where people wouldn't be asking for definitions as much. Rather looking it up themselves.

·
Premium Member
10,512 Posts
A glossary is a good idea, but I'd be careful about adding too many of those auto-definitions. I find them annoying as it is, but if every post ended up riddled with them it would be an eyesore. Perhaps a permanent glossary linked in the sidebar would be useful?

·
Premium Member
27,698 Posts
I find them annoying as it is, but if every post ended up riddled with them it would be an eyesore.
You can always turn them off :)

http://www.t-shirtforums.com/profile.php?do=editoptions (down at the bottom called auTEEmaticlinks)

If anybody wants to take up the task of defining some of the common terms like those above, I'd be very grateful.

For now, they would go in the autolinks, but after that, they could be moved to a separate glossary. Working on something for that.

·
Premium Member
10,512 Posts
Rodney said:
You can always turn them off :)
Excellent, I didn't realise that was an option. I should investigate the UserCP more, thanks.

Rodney said:
If anybody wants to take up the task of defining some of the common terms like those above, I'd be very grateful.
I suppose this thread is as good a place as any to do that? I can chime in if need be, but I'm probably not the best person for the job.

A few other things that might need defining:

DTG
dye sub
cutter/plotter
vinyl
flock

(basically I'm trying to cover the common printing materials and methods here)

1 - 7 of 7 Posts