T-Shirt Forums banner

1 - 12 of 12 Posts

·
Registered
7 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I am looking at buying some hoodies online for putting heat transfers on and I was wondering if anyone could tell me if the quality of the 185C00 Heavy Blend Adult Contrast Hooded Sweatshirts is any good? Also has anyone purchased anything from Gildan - Gildan Activewear Online Wholesaler? If so are they good to deal with? Any feedback would be much appreciated.

·
Registered
40 Posts
Gildan is an industry standard. We use their shirts, hoodies, zip hoodies, and sweatshirts as the "default" item in our shop. We have had maybe one or two instances where a shirt came to us with a hole in it, but nothing major. They're usually pretty cheap and the quality is decent enough for a basic garment.

·
Registered
98 Posts
All 50/50 Gildan hoodies are pretty basic but wear really bad. They are OK for heat transfers but awful for DTG.
I do use them as well, but always recommend my customers to spend a little bit more and either get the 92500 75/25 (unfortunately avaialble in not many colours) or Hanes (again, much better quality, but in less colours). Jb Hoodies are good quality too and from memory 80/20.

As a general rule, the more cotton the better they wear (and print).

·
Registered
7 Posts
Discussion Starter #5
Thanks for the replies. I ended up ordering a variety of gildan products and for the price I was pretty happy with the quality. Although I have had a few issues with the heat transfers peeling up when I pull the application tape off. I was wondering if its because of the uneven pressure due to the pockets and hood on the jumper. Just wondering if anyone has a solution to this problem?

·
Registered
43 Posts
Get some MDF (not chipboard) and cut it to size to fit inside the pocket, somewhere around 8mm thick? The board will lift the pocket up so you can transfer onto it. That'll give you consistent pressure across the transfer surface at least.

Gildan hoodies won't scorch easily, so you can crank the heat and pressure up. Too much heat and pressure means it'll bond properly but you'll get fabric texture coming through the transfer. So if you crank the temp and pressure up, and it still won't transfer, then the media is junk. Either over cured plastisol transfers or cheap vinyl. IMHO of course.

·
Registered
43 Posts
sorry just an afterthought, if you're transferring with an iron it's a waste of time (except for low temp transfers on sublimated garments, but that's another story)

if you're transferring with a cheap chinese press and your transfer sticks in the middle and not on the outer edges, it's because it's not heating the surface evenly

·
Registered
449 Posts
Thanks for the replies. I ended up ordering a variety of gildan products and for the price I was pretty happy with the quality. Although I have had a few issues with the heat transfers peeling up when I pull the application tape off. I was wondering if its because of the uneven pressure due to the pockets and hood on the jumper. Just wondering if anyone has a solution to this problem?
Hayden, you might want to try pillow pads. You slip it in the hoodie and I think it gives the bulked area some room to give to get a more even press.

Good luck.

·
Registered
7 Posts
Discussion Starter #9
I am using a brand new S-650P HIX Heat Press with Siser Colorprint PU media. I was told to get some wetsuit material to put behind it which I did and that seams to make it even worse. Might have to try some MDF or some pillow pads. The design I have been printing has letters with sharp edges which has been causing me grief but I would have thought I should be able to resolve this issue. I have tried many different setting, eg different times, temperatures and pressures with no success.

·
Registered
98 Posts
Hayden,

Siser Colorprint PU is a real tricky product: it requires the high tac transfer tape and the temperature needs to be spot on. Too high and will melt the glue too much so the transfer will come off when you peel the app tape, too low and it will not stick. I know you have a HIX, just make sure it is calibrated correctly with a laser temp gun (mine wasn't!)

·
Registered
107 Posts
Howdy,

Good info in this thread. I've been using Gildan hoodies and found the Contrast and Premium hoodies to be a much nicer fit and feel than the Heavy Blend but all pressed reall well and the vinyl has stuck without issue so far.

Poli-Flex / Thermo-Flex seems to adhere perfectly to the hoodies and tees I've done. I tend to press for a second time to make sure it really sticks. I found giving it a lot of pressure helps but just used the recommended temperature. I'm only using a cheap Chinese heat press too.

I have had issues when getting close to the pockets and hood so will give some of these suggestions a try.

·
Registered
152 Posts
I am a self-professed GILDAN WHORE. We default to Gildan for every single piece in this shop that we can. Only when requested do we use another brand. The only fault I have had with them is the SoftStyle 64000. I have repeatedly had holes in the arm pits. Seems more prevalent in the heather colors, but I wear these every day when I work as well, and it is SO IRRITATING when I raise my arms and they both have holes in them. Hard to justify to the client. Fleece and other tees are fantastic.

1 - 12 of 12 Posts