T-Shirt Forums banner
1 - 20 of 29 Posts

· Registered
14 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 · (Edited)
I posted an image once before about an issue I'm having with printing on dark colored cotton shirts. unfortunately the problem has persisted and I haven't had any luck getting to the bottom of what is going on. I've attached a new image that shows the problem clearer. Basically, the shirts are coming out with a square 'ghost-like' imprint around the design (in this case the printed tag). This tag was only cured once and left to cool after. Has anyone had a similar problem or any idea what might be causeing this?

· Registered
120 Posts
Are you having to wipe the back of the screen down to remove excess ink? If so, you may not be getting all the ink off the back of the screen and then when you print again, it is being deposited onto the shirt. Been there, done that!

Suzette70

· Registered
1,855 Posts
As Donna said, it looks like you're cleaning the garment side of the screen and wiping ink all over the screen, so once you screen print with what looks like a small squeegee, it is leaving the left over ink onto your shirt. The best way to get rid of that is to clean the screen real well with screen wash, and then wipe it with some degreaser, and print several test shirts to get rid of it.

· Registered
14 Posts
Discussion Starter · #6 ·
The screen is much bigger than the size of the square imprint. The squeege is larger as well. The board is, however, small for the purposes of fitting the collar onto the board. Also, I can't imagine it being excess ink left on the garment side of the screen only because i am not having to clean between prints or at all that side of the screen, and also because of the way the haze is like a perfect square. This particular shirt was a test print and the screen was completly clean before this run. Also, it was printed on a regular automatic machine.

Still stumped =/

· Registered
4,169 Posts
Well something is the exact size of that square, once you figure out what it is you'll be a long way toward solving your problem.

Is something in your screenmaking process that size? Have you tried blockout on the back of the screen to see if it stops?

Is your platen that size? Could it be a reaction with your adhesive?

Does it wash out?

· Registered
14 Posts
Discussion Starter · #8 ·
The platen is that size, in width. This smaller platen has to be used in order to fit the collar through. However, in this example its the tag, but it's also happening on the front of the shirt with a different, larger, platen. Only with dark fabrics though. I'm not sure what you mean by "blockout".

It does seem to come out after the shirt has been wet or washed.

· Registered
4,169 Posts
Blockout is the stuff you apply to the back of the screen to fill in any pinholes after burning the screen.

It could be happening on lights but you just can see it.

Are you flashing these prints? Flashing can cause a slight discoloration that generally goes away within a few hours or after washing. Heat presses do the same thing.

· Registered
14 Posts
Discussion Starter · #10 ·
Yeah I am flashing these. However it doesn't always happen with other designs that I print (i.e. sometimes even on dark fabrics I get NO white haze). So thats why I was thinking that it has to be something else, although it would make sense for the heat from the flash unit to be cause some discoloration. Would there be a fix if that were the case?

Also, I looked up blockout and, no, I have never tried using that. I'm going to see if maybe that would solve the problem.

thanks.

· Registered
15 Posts
Hey, I know this is an old thread but I feel this is really an unsolved mystery. I've been having this same problem happen, I do not believe there is ink on the bottom of the screen and it is happening pretty often with black shirts and more often with designs with more colors.

does anyone have any other ideas as to what this could be? The best thing we can figure is simply pressure from the squeegee. Anyone have any other tips/experiences?

· Registered
15 Posts
less pressure solves the issue a bit but you can still see some type of ghosting. anyone have a clue how to solve this?

We've been brainstorming over here and we think it may have to do with squeegee. how old are your squeegees? Have you sharpened them?

The problem has been getting a little bit worse over time and it seems to have to do with pressure. We are thinking that the squeegees might be too dull which would require more pressure which in turn creates the pressure marks.

1 - 20 of 29 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.