T-Shirt Forums banner

1 - 20 of 38 Posts

·
Registered
358 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I seem to have periodical ghosting when sublimenting. I tape my transfers to the t-shirts and I use teflon pillows to reduce the suction and allthough that helps, it has not eliminated the problem. I never once had this problem with my old 15X15 clamshell press, but now with my upgraded 16X20 swingaway by Geo Knight I do get this problem. It is to the point where I am pushing the Ash colored shirts because It masks any imperfections. I think this is possibly the problem because when I release the and raise the platen I am not pulling it up perfectly straight which was never a concern with the Clamshell.
Does anyone know if there is any trick or gadget you can use to ensure that the platon does not start to swing just ever so slightly whil raising of your print? I'ts getting to be sweatshirt season and every misprint is going to cost me triple.

Thanks,
Cory

·
Registered
1,555 Posts
Hi Cory. I only use swingaway presses for sublimation and have never had any problems.

Not quite sure why you are taping your transfers to the tees? My method is to align the tee, lay protective teflon sheet on top of the transfer and press. When time is up, ease the initial pressure off then lift straight up and swing away the platen. Perfect results every time.

Only thing I can assume, is that you've got so used to clam presses, you just need to adapt your technique to swingaways.

·
Registered
431 Posts
Cory

Instead of taping the transfer you might try using the adhesive spray such as Wilflex. What happens is when you raise the press the suction lifts the transfer slightly then releases it back onto the shirt. The 16 X 20 probably has a little more suction. Just a light spray should solve the problem.

·
Registered
1,555 Posts
I have never used Wilflex, so not totally sure what it is. I would have assumed that any type of spray adhesive would create a physical barrier between the transfer and the garment fabric? Sublimation ink requires direct contact with polyester for the molecules to be able to migrate into the pores of the fabric.

Does the Wilfex evaporate when heat is applied, or would the transfer still be stuck to the shirt when the press is opened? Just curious..?

·
Registered
358 Posts
Discussion Starter #6
I have the wilflex spraywhich I use for mousepads koozies and other items but it's kind of a pain using in my office. I use the Tee-Squareit to align my shirts which means once everything is aligned I slide the design under the tool and tape it. It's a pretty cool tool and I would hate to have to abanden it. Using Willflex would not allow me to slide the transfer under The Tee-Squareit so I use the tape instead. Also, If you put the transfer down crooked with the spray you can't really nudge it straight.

Any word on a attachment or gadget for the press that would keep the press perfectly straight (not allowing platen to swing right) until it was raised up to the top or at least a an inch or so.

·
Registered
1,555 Posts
Any word on a attachment or gadget for the press that would keep the press perfectly straight (not allowing platen to swing right) until it was raised up to the top or at least a an inch or so.
If your upper platen is swinging out like that, it would indicate that your press is not sitting level. You can remedy this with the adjustable feet. My swingaway presses sit on cut up mouse mats to keep them totally stable.

Still not sure why you using tape though. The weight of the transfer paper is enough to hold it into place. :confused:

·
Registered
8,082 Posts
if you lift the press...any kind...too quickly, the transfer will shift a bit..and then back down..it still has enough heat to make the second 'ghost' image...open slowly and you will not get the ghost look

·
Registered
358 Posts
Discussion Starter #10
Applying oppisite pressure does do the trick but when I am doing a bunch of prints sometimes I don't press left and I can actually see my platen shift right

·
Registered
8 Posts
I've use the thermal tape on the back of the transfers and/or the Wilflex to pull the transfer directly off. I wasted about 5 shirts the first time I did subs and figured it out very quickly.

·
Registered
358 Posts
Discussion Starter #12
I just got a small ghost after using tape on all 4 sides and I let up real slow. Tomorrow I am going to build a little spray booth so that I can go back to using the Willflex. My reason for abandoning the spray was because I work out of my office on the second floor of my house and it is a pain going down to the garage to spray each transfer when you are doing even a small shirt run. I picked up a cardboard box which I am going to convert to a spray booth and see if I can prep the tranfers in my office without having to go through the whole house.

Has anyone else made a makeshift spray booth to accomidate spraying in your house?

·
Registered
51 Posts
Have you tried pressing without the tape? The tape might have a tendency to curl a little after you heat it up and cause the paper to shift.
You might also have the press set up to apply too much pressure making it difficult to control when you open it and causing the unit to "jump" a bit. Ease off the pressure to the point where you can open it without jerking it.
Finally check your paper or fabric for shrinkage. measure the paper before and after you press it (both length and width) and do the same with the fabric. If they do, the shrinkage is the likely cause for the ghosting.

If you set up your press correctly and your fabric or paper don't shrink you shouldn't need neither tape nor sprays.

Milabix

·
Registered
675 Posts
If you don't have Pro Spray or another adhesive spray....place 5 sheets of paper on the back of your transfer. I would eliminate the teflon sheet. It can trap moisture and steam underneath.

·
Registered
358 Posts
Discussion Starter #15
I am going to eliminate the teflon sheet from the bottom platon. That is the one difference I made when switching to the new press. I used the teflon so that if any ink penetrated through the shirt, I could just wipe the teflon. On my old 15X15 press I used to tape regular oversized paper over the bottom pad. The paper was probably around 100lb. That always did the trick but I had to change the paper often. What is the best way to protect the bottom if you don't use teflon?

I don't believe it is the pressure because I use a teflon pillow inbetween the shirt so I don't get the press lines.

·
Registered
431 Posts
Why don't you try backing off the pressure and leaving out the pillow, instead us a sheet of blowout paper? If you were getting ink onto the paper on the bottom platen then you must not have had the pillow in the middle before, correct? When you release the press the pillow is inflating and moving the transfer enough to cause the ghosting would be my guess.

·
Registered
358 Posts
Discussion Starter #18
I don't get ant blowout with shirts, I don't use very much pressure the teflon is just in case. Tiles are usually the worst for me as far as blowing through the paper.

OK maybe I am not getting ghosting, could it be some sort of shift? I ask because last night I did some tests. I did extra spray on the transfer paper. It was just a test so I sprayed it real good. This sucker wasn't going to move. In fact I had to peel it off it was so adhered. my first test was perfect. I did two more tests and my last test had a shadow again. I know the image did not move.
I also waited several minutes before peeling to eliminate that variable.

I did not have this problem with my smaller 15X15 clamshell. Not once no matter how reckless I was. Now I have to be super careful while doing shirts and it is still a crap shoot. I am to the point where I will not do any orders except for grey short sleeve t-shirts. That way if it ghosts to the point that I do not want to sell it I haven't lost the cost of the more expensive clothing.

·
Registered
1,038 Posts
pro spray is the way to go, when you lift your press your design won't move, we always cover with a large teflon sheet. good luck

1 - 20 of 38 Posts