T-Shirt Forums banner

1 - 6 of 6 Posts

·
Registered
155 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
So, I have my website BurnTees up on all of the voting sites as I'm sure the rest of you do as well. I always wondered though, some people have well over a 100 votes and I just don't understand how they're getting this many votes in.

Are people cheating the system? For example, lets say i have a link to a section of my store, and everytime someone enters that section, I actually have them voting for my store. Is there a way to do that? is that what certain shops are doing?

I notice that the same stores are always at the top of all the lists and I never understood how they're getting so many votes in.

·
Registered
250 Posts
I honestly think it's called "people who aren't afraid to bug the crap out of all their friends at the 1st of the month." I have watched long enough to pick up that the flood of votes typically come in the first week or so of the month. I have had a listing on t-shirtcountdown.com long enough to realize that RANDOM PEOPLE GENERALLY DO NOT VOTE. I wish the countdown listed shirts based on unique hits out rather than by votes. It's too easy for people to get their friends, family members and online pals to vote a shirt up. If ranking were based on hits out you would get a better feel for genuine interest.

·
Registered
1,029 Posts
On t-shirtcountdown, you could technically have the vote page popup when someone visits your site, but the user would have to actually vote, since a unique random url is created every pageload on the vote page.

This is unethical in my opinion though.

Having friends vote is what people do. Jay is right. Normal people don't generally vote for t-shirts. They justbuy them. I have recieved many orders off of t-shirtcountdown, but have not recieved many votes.

·
Premium Member
27,700 Posts
tshirtworld said:
Would be nice to see the owner address this issue and maybe change the system to work legitmately.
There is no issue to address :) The system does work legitimately.

As people said, many people who are successful with t-shirtcountdown.com work on getting votes right after the list is reset each month.

If you don't promote your voting link, then you probably won't get as many votes as those who do.

I used to include "hits" into the ranking algorithm, but that metric is too easy to manipulate and can skew the rankings quite a bit since it is not an active "vote" for a site.

This is not the t-shirtcountdown support forum though, so if you have any questions about the service, feel free to email me :)

·
Registered
1,907 Posts
Perhaps the ranking could factor in more significantly? Though, those usually seem to be stuck on 0s or 5s most of the time too... the system will be flawed no matter which route is taken realy, I don't think there is any perfect or idea option. I'll just take my random votes and run with it I suppose =)

1 - 6 of 6 Posts