T-Shirt Forums banner
1 - 7 of 7 Posts

· Registered
814 Posts
meta tags are not as highly used by search engines as they used to be.. Your best bet is to use a LOT of descriptive text on your site (too many images kills your site) and to have search engine friendly urls (meaning no session ids like with most shopping carts)

the other thing that is MORE important now than meta tags is rank. The google and alexa rank bases the importance on your site on how many sites backlink to your site.. So the more outside sites that have YOUR link on it, the higher your page rank.. thast why sometimes you see spammers just post LOADS of links on a forum.. Blogs are another way of people to backlink.. Lots of people offer allifiate links programs where you set up a page onyour site and trade.. I'll post you if you post me type of deal..

Certain backlinks have a different level of importance, and the actual algorithm that google uses is a mystery.. but they have it down, and that is a LOT more important than meta tags now adays.

· Registered
814 Posts
I just looked at your site.. you dont have a sitemap! You should have them make your two sitemaps.. one google sitemap that ONLY google sees, and a sitemap that is just page on your site that shows an outline of your pages..

Sitemaps are good for SEO because they create a bunch of backlinks within your own site which are good for page ranking. not as good as outside links, but better than nothing.. it also makes it SUPER EASY for the bots to crawl your site. Sometimes a bot will craw your site and get stuck in a black hole.. somewhere in your site where they end up, but theres no links out.. its usually an obscure page that you wouldnt expect a person to go to.. There is also a way to tell bots which pages to index and which ones not to.

· Registered
172 Posts
Discussion Starter · #7 ·
Interesting, thank you very much

I just looked at your site.. you dont have a sitemap! You should have them make your two sitemaps.. one google sitemap that ONLY google sees, and a sitemap that is just page on your site that shows an outline of your pages..

Sitemaps are good for SEO because they create a bunch of backlinks within your own site which are good for page ranking. not as good as outside links, but better than nothing.. it also makes it SUPER EASY for the bots to crawl your site. Sometimes a bot will craw your site and get stuck in a black hole.. somewhere in your site where they end up, but theres no links out.. its usually an obscure page that you wouldnt expect a person to go to.. There is also a way to tell bots which pages to index and which ones not to.

1 - 7 of 7 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.