T-Shirt Forums banner

1 - 18 of 18 Posts

·
Registered
7 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Hi, i'm having a problem. I want to buy 75 American Apparel shirts at individual prices wholesale, but they told me i need a reseller's permit because i am in CA and they are located in CA. Problem is, i'm only 17 and i'm kinda confused at what to do. I looked at the website for Reseller's permit but it looks complicated. What is involved in getting a Federal Tax ID number and then getting the Reseller's permit for CA? Any help would be greatly appreciated. Thanks.

·
Registered
1,029 Posts
Hi, i'm having a problem. I want to buy 75 American Apparel shirts at individual prices wholesale, but they told me i need a reseller's permit because i am in CA and they are located in CA. Problem is, i'm only 17 and i'm kinda confused at what to do. I looked at the website for Reseller's permit but it looks complicated. What is involved in getting a Federal Tax ID number and then getting the Reseller's permit for CA? Any help would be greatly appreciated. Thanks.
Your age doesn't matter. I believe that you need to register an employer id number, and a ficticious name first. Then, you will just need to fill out a form to get your resellers permit.

·
Registered
9,270 Posts
Ryz0n said:
We are in CA and have done this for both an LLC and a Corp. It is pretty easy.

For the EIN, follow the directions here: http://www.irs.gov/businesses/small/article/0,,id=98011,00.html

You sound like a sole proprietor so use that link. You can apply online or call the IRS for one. I really don't think you need an EIN but if your supplier wants one then get one. If you use your name in your business name like 'John Public T-Shirts' then you are pretty much done with that part and you don't need to file for a business name and really don't need an EIN. Otherwise you will need to file a fictitious business name with your county.

CA does not have a resellers permit. It is a sellers permit and you get it from the Board of Equalization. The link to the form is here: http://www.boe.ca.gov/pdf/boe400spa.pdf

You can fill it out and mail it in or make an appointment at a few of the local offices if you want to go in. They have a FAQ here: http://www.boe.ca.gov/info/reg.htm.

You may also want to check out the Secretary of State web site here: http://www.ss.ca.gov/business/business.htm that has some guidelines on starting a business.

Finally, your city and/or county will want a business license fee from you.

Pretty simple huh?:D

·
Registered
17 Posts
You may want to contact SCORE. They should be able to help you with any business issues. www.score.org

From the SCORE website:
SCORE is "Counselors to America's Small Business" is America's premier source of free & confidential small business advice for entrepreneurs. SCORE's 10,500 volunteers have more than 600 business skills. Volunteers share their wisdom and lessons learned in business. Our volunteers are working/retired business owners, executives and corporate leaders.

·
Registered
9,270 Posts
Ryz0n said:
Should i apply for a temporary or regular permit? Not sure.
Are you going into business or not? The answer to that question should tell you.

·
Registered
7 Posts
Discussion Starter #8
At this point, we're just some kids that want to buy American Apparel wholesale lol. If our sales turn out promising and we decide to move up, then i'd be thinking realistically about all this legitimate official stuff lol.

·
Premium Member
10,512 Posts
Ryz0n said:
At this point, we're just some kids that want to buy American Apparel wholesale lol.
Even so, it wouldn't hurt to do everything properly from the start. If you end up making a success of it, it will be easier if you started right, and if it doesn't work out you can chalk it up as a learning experience. If you have the drive to try your own business stuff now, chances are you will again later - even if you choose a different industry then, the experiences now will be applicable.

·
Premium Member
7,661 Posts
No, they do not. It did not cost much at all, but varies from state to state. The information will be available for you on your state's business website. If you can't locate yours on the net, ask us and we'll help you find it. Congratulations on your decision to open a business, and best wishes to you in the future. Kelly :)

Please let me take one more minute to give you a link that can help ensure your success. The Small Business Development Center. A free resource that is there to help you set up and grow. Here you go: Small Business Administration - sbdc_locator_map. That was the best rosource I still have in my corner, this forum is the second. Good luck! Give them a call, at least read up on what they can offer you.

·
Registered
4,766 Posts
You don't need a fed ID unless you have employees. You use your SS number as I do. And I have been in business a few years..Getting a resale number is easy but you may need to be older. It is also free,

·
Premium Member
7,661 Posts
This is true, you don't need to have the EIN number (tax id), if I might only add, there may be a different reason one might want to get the EIN, and that is because then you use that number when applying for things, like wholesale accounts, and that means alot less spreading your social security number around everywhere. That's the only reason I did it. Shield that SSN. Something to consider.

Good point on age, check that info with your state, too. I know someone in MA on here wanted to buy wholesale, and was able to get the EIN at 15. There was no age requirement where he was. Here's a link for you: https://www.t-shirtforums.com/wholesale-t-shirts/t44329.html#post263299

Good luck, best regards and good night all!!!:)

·
Registered
4,766 Posts
This is true, you don't need to have the EIN number (tax id), if I might only add, there may be a different reason one might want to get the EIN, and that is because then you use that number when applying for things, like wholesale accounts, and that means alot less spreading your social security number around everywhere. That's the only reason I did it. Shield that SSN. Something to consider.

Good point on age, check that info with your state, too. I know someone in MA on here wanted to buy wholesale, and was able to get the EIN at 15. There was no age requirement where he was. Here's a link for you: https://www.t-shirtforums.com/wholesale-t-shirts/t44329.html#post263299

Good luck, best regards and good night all!!!:)
All wholesalers require is a resale or sellers permit. fed Id is for taxes and nothing more.

·
Premium Member
7,661 Posts
All wholesalers require is a resale or sellers permit. fed Id is for taxes and nothing more.

I know for me, I have a wholesale account with Alpha Shirts/Broder Brothers and they don't have a seller's permit or resale permit from me.

American Apparel would not open an account for me without the seller permit number.

I did need my EIN (fed id) number to open some of my wholesale accounts. Not only did I have to fill in the online form, I had to fax them a copy of the IRS paper. Those were my dolly clothes wholesalers, granted not tees, but still, the other half of my biz, which I needed wholesale. All part of the biz.

I think that's what BillM was looking for when he started this thread. A list of wholesalers who don't require the license to sell to someone wholesale.
http://www.t-shirtforums.com/wholesale-t-shirts/t37991.html#post222455

I ran into closed doors when starting by not having the seller's permit number, but no one said not to get one. It's best to have everything you need before you start, if not, as early as you can. I understand you can get the best pricing by being able to shop all the wholesalers, and some just won't sell to someone without the seller's permit number.

Find those state business websites, and where to sign up for everything, it doesn't cost much or take much time. Best regards and good luck. :)

·
Registered
19 Posts
Some very good advice here, but as they said, they are just kids starting and dipping their toes in the puddle. I don't know many millionaires who did it all the right way when they were starting out and the best advice one gave me was, "if you are paying taxes, then sack your accountant". Don't do anything illegal but learn to bend with the wind.

·
Registered
414 Posts
I am in cali and went to city hall to register my comapny name then paid the 65.00 fee the whole process there took about an hour
i then called the IRS and had everything done over the phone. She gave me the number then and there then mailed it to me.
I took a trip to the local board of eqaulization and filled out the paper work and got my resale number righ tthen and there.
Its not a hard process at all, I was done with everything before lunch.
Maybe it was just a good day for me.

·
Registered
2 Posts
Yes...All GOOD ADVICE on the CALIF. SELLER's PERMIT. I had the same problem when I wanted to order from American Apparel here in NYC. At the time, I just chose another t-shirt supplier to get around it. I still have to get my NYC RESALE permit....they call it here. The advice here is correct, it's called different things depending on the state where you live. All too keep us confused.

I had to get a temporary one in California in order to sell tees at a trade show late last year. It was fairly simple process on-line...you can download the form and fax it in to CA board of equalization site...mentioned earlier in this thread. I faxed it in and got a call from the office...very friendly people actually....GOOD LUCK everyone!

1 - 18 of 18 Posts