T-Shirt Forums banner
1 - 4 of 4 Posts

·
Registered
3 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Hi, I'm new here and was recently handed an Epson Stylus PRO 4880 and want it only for film positive printing. Been searching and can't find definitive answers regarding ink and set-up.
- do I have to buy the 5 CMY inks?
- do I need to buy additional software? I do halftone preparation myself, so I don't need that; is there another reason I'd need aftermarket software?
- is there anything I need to know about acetate rolls and sheets before purchasing?
- Also, obviously I'd like to keep expenses down; what should I expect to pay, ballpark, to set up all of this.

I'd rather not pay more than is necessary as this is for occasional runs, not daily use.
Any help is greatly appreciated. Thanks!

·
Registered
92 Posts
You need good carts in every slot, the printer will not print if it thinks an ink cart is empty. PLEASE don't do what some do and reset the chips on empty carts, it will destroy the print head. (even though you are not using them to print the machine uses them during cleaning cycles and the nozzles NEED the ink or cleaning solution as coolant) Just buy a set of good empty carts like from Ink owl and put cleaning solution in the colors you are not using. At minimum you could use distilled water, but I only use distilled water for flushing lines.

·
Registered
3 Posts
Discussion Starter · #4 ·
You need good carts in every slot, the printer will not print if it thinks an ink cart is empty. PLEASE don't do what some do and reset the chips on empty carts, it will destroy the print head. (even though you are not using them to print the machine uses them during cleaning cycles and the nozzles NEED the ink or cleaning solution as coolant) Just buy a set of good empty carts like from Ink owl and put cleaning solution in the colors you are not using. At minimum you could use distilled water, but I only use distilled water for flushing lines.
When you say "good empty carts" do you mean this:

1 - 4 of 4 Posts