T-Shirt Forums banner

1 - 8 of 8 Posts

·
Registered
37 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Hey all, I got my Geo Knight DK16 (with auto open!) about a month ago and I love it. Definitely a great press.

But I do have a question for those of you that have a GK clamshell:

Basically, the platen temps measured with digital pyrometer are often off from the displayed temp. I've calibrated the offset at 350, so that it's pretty close at 350, but when I go up in temp, it'll be 5-10 higher than that, and at lower temps, the pyrometer reads 10-20 below the set temp. I can't make heads or tails of this.

For example -- set the controller at 350F: pyrometer reads platen at very close to 350. Great!
Set at 375F: pyrometer reads out at 380/385. Ok fine.
BUT THEN: set at 270F: pyrometer reads out at 250/255. Huh??

I emailed Aaron Knight about this and his advice was to go by the pyrometer, and just account for the differences in my pre-sets. But that doesn't sit right with me, and it takes up time to always be measuring the platen temp for each setting.

Is there something I could tweak to get the controller to sense the platen temps more consistently?

Do your Geo Knights do the same thing?

·
Registered
9,326 Posts
Yes, the way the DK's are constructed the heat varies as the element is not in the platen but on top of it.

·
Administrator
14,485 Posts
You realize the differential is only a few percentage points? Go with the flow. Press as normal. Only worry about it when you notice it affects your image.

·
Registered
3,425 Posts
what is the pyrometer you are using?
has it been calibrated properly?
get some paper thermometer strips and test for temp vs your pyrometer

if you are using an infrared temp gun then you have to find the emissvity for that particular reflective metal to get accurate temp readings
you can get precision, not accuracy with it
get some paper thermometer strips to test for accuracy, or a digital contact/meat thermometer

·
Registered
37 Posts
Discussion Starter #5
what is the pyrometer you are using?
has it been calibrated properly?
get some paper thermometer strips and test for temp vs your pyrometer

if you are using an infrared temp gun then you have to find the emissvity for that particular reflective metal to get accurate temp readings
you can get precision, not accuracy with it
get some paper thermometer strips to test for accuracy, or a digital contact/meat thermometer
I'm using the digital pyrometer with surface probe that Geo Knight sells. Not sure how it was calibrated, but I'm hoping they took care of that before selling it.

·
Registered
37 Posts
Discussion Starter #6
You realize the differential is only a few percentage points? Go with the flow. Press as normal. Only worry about it when you notice it affects your image.
Noted. Is there an acceptable margin of variance for temperature? Like a rule of thumb that people generally use?

·
Registered
3,425 Posts
I'm using the digital pyrometer with surface probe that Geo Knight sells. Not sure how it was calibrated, but I'm hoping they took care of that before selling it.
they order from the factory in china, highly unlikely they send them out for independent verification
best bet would be to get the temp at which water boils at your elevation then test the unit in the water (use distilled water)

1 - 8 of 8 Posts