T-Shirt Forums banner

1 - 8 of 8 Posts

·
Registered
4,202 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Our church is ready to buy a building and I was curious as to if anyone has any fundraising experience. I wanted to print 5,000 shirts and sell them to yield a profit of $15 per shirt and that would go towards this building fund. We need an additional $60,000 and If I could do this, I could raise $75,000.

Does anyone have any experience on selling items like this and if so, in mass volume? I'm not looking at only local sales, but nationwide.

I've attached an image of what I wanted to print.

Any ideas or advice?

Attachments

·
Premium Member
27,698 Posts
I recently did some shirts for a local non-profit as a fundraiser.

Our profit per shirt was just $10, but even with advertising and many events, the shirts don't sell as fast as we'd hoped.

We've moved a few, but not as many as originally projected (although we've still got about a year or more worth of fundraising to do).

If you could presell the t-shirts, that might be a good way to get the right projections and not have some laying around.

Then again, if you are using direct garment printing (on demand), then you probably won't have any inventory problems like that :)

How many church members do you have? 5000 shirts sounds like a high projection.

·
Registered
4,202 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
Well I would be selling them outside of the church. Church members always seem to get hit up for fundraisers and our members are really good at giving anyway, so it would be more focused nationwide. I would probably just screen print them because doing that many would take forever in digital printing, especially on a black shirt.

I would definitely want to take pre-orders to avoid having a bunch of shirts in stock. That's kinda why I was inquiring because I didn't know if anyone had experience in fundraising among the masses.

·
Premium Member
27,698 Posts
so it would be more focused nationwide.
Ahh, I didn't realize that it would be a nationwide fundraiser. That's different than just selling to one congregation.

I'd be interested in hearing other's experiences as well

·
Registered
183 Posts
I realize it is a church fundraiser but.... who is your auidence if not the church members? How will you be advertising to this national audience? Is your audience going to want to wear a t-shirt that says "nailed" on it? I, personally, don't like the desing particularly because I'm not clear on how it relates to what you're fundraising for.... Is there something on the back of the shirt maybe?

·
Registered
4,202 Posts
Discussion Starter #6
This particular shirt was an idea I had. It's not directly related to the fundraiser in design or idea. I don't even have to label it as a fundraiser. My entire goal was to find the audience (most likely Christian), and just sell them. I would place a tag on the shirt stating what the profit of the shirt went to and that would be that. As for the advertising, etc, that's what I guess I'm asking.

I'm trying to figure out a way to mass distribute these and take the money and put it towards the money still needed. But like I said, it doesn't have to be labeled or even advertised as a fundraiser.

If someone has better designs or ideas I am always open to them. ;)

·
Premium Member
27,698 Posts
I'm trying to figure out a way to mass distribute these and take the money and put it towards the money still needed. But like I said, it doesn't have to be labeled or even advertised as a fundraiser
Ohhh, I thought you were thinking of a "fundraiser" in the traditional sense. You just want to sell a t-shirt to make money for a specific project (a church).

Any of the ideas on the forum about marketing and selling would help you. Setting up a website is one idea, but with only one design, it might deter some customers from buying.

You could sell on eBay, try to approach retail stores. Check out some of the posts in the T-Shirt Marketing forum for more info :)

·
Registered
6 Posts
You should definitely alert your local media (i.e. newspapers), with a press releases, and pictures are a plus. Tell them about your cause, you should get some attention after all it is a good cause. You should also think about getting someone to back you up like a local politician, CEO, or a Dean of a college, someone highly respected in the community. All you have to do is make what your doing meaningful to them.

Another suggestion would be to have the kids in the church put on concert or a play. This will again give you another chance to tell your story, and promote your shirts.

~T'mona

1 - 8 of 8 Posts