T-Shirt Forums banner

1 - 20 of 25 Posts

·
Registered
1,970 Posts
Basically, if someone's doing it full time, you can bet they're making enough profit to support two comfortably (probably more than $70,000)

·
Registered
85 Posts
Discussion Starter #5
Basically, if someone's doing it full time, you can bet they're making enough profit to support two comfortably (probably more than $70,000)
Thank you. See, I'm not trying to get people to tell me their specifics, just general. Like is the t-shirt biz your main income or do you work for someone else too. I am hoping to make it a full-time job eventually and it helps to know if anyone else does that.

·
Registered
1,970 Posts
The formula is:

Profit = [(guesstimate of site sales)*(guesstimate of profit per shirt)/(guesstimate of no. employees)] + (hippiness of site and thus tax avoidence probability) − (warehouse or garage rental) * (quality of web coding) − (TM infringment suits) * (Google Adwords)²

·
2,957 Posts
My wife and I have been a two income family for a while. She works in the marketing department for a national bank. We have two boys that are in elementary school. When this school year is over, she is quitting her banking job, and working full-time from home on our clothing line.

We haven't been able to put in the time for the business they way we need to because we both have regular full-time jobs, and think that if one of us is able to work on it all day everyday, that we can move things along alot faster. We are hoping that by devoting more time to it, that the business can make more money than it is now, and that we will be able to recover SOME of the lost income from her job.

·
Registered
85 Posts
Discussion Starter #8
Comin'OutSwingin said:
My wife and I have been a two income family for a while. She works in the marketing department for a national bank. We have two boys that are in elementary school. When this school year is over, she is quitting her banking job, and working full-time from home on our clothing line.

We haven't been able to put in the time for the business they way we need to because we both have regular full-time jobs, and think that if one of us is able to work on it all day everyday, that we can move things along alot faster. We are hoping that by devoting more time to it, that the business can make more money than it is now, and that we will be able to recover SOME of the lost income from her job.

I hope it works for you. I agree, it's hard to get the biz rolling when you are spending your time at your full time job during the day. I want to devote my attention to the t-shirt business more. If it starts to go downhill, it's not like I can't get another job. I am expecting a baby in June so I hope to stay home with her and do the t-shirts from home. But of course, it's scary when you have worked for someone else your whole life.

·
Registered
43 Posts
Not to rain on anyones parade, but I did the exact same thing and I would have appreciated someone telling me at the time.

Doing this full time is NOT a get rich quick scheam. I know there are a million ppl out there trying to live off selling t-shirts off the web and many ppl assume it's just a matter of putting up the product and sitting back and watching the cheddar roll in.

I'd say I work 3 times as hard as I did in my previous job (which I worked my *** off) and it has and can pay off, but it took a LOT of time, money, dedication, and stress. You might want to tread very very carefully in your situation (BTW my wife was 7 mnths preg. at the time. can you say scaaaaarrryyy!)

Just wanted to put some truth out there. Personally, it was the best choice I've ever made and I wish I'd started 10 years ago. Good luck in all your endeavors.

·
Registered
117 Posts
ckelly617 said:
I hope it works for you. I agree, it's hard to get the biz rolling when you are spending your time at your full time job during the day. I want to devote my attention to the t-shirt business more. If it starts to go downhill, it's not like I can't get another job. I am expecting a baby in June so I hope to stay home with her and do the t-shirts from home. But of course, it's scary when you have worked for someone else your whole life.

I definitely agree with this too.. I was working a 9-6 job at Vivendi Universal Games in the marketing and quality assurance department... I had to put that job on hold so I could focus more on my clothing line. It was hard because I could only take calls on my 15min breaks and 1 hour lunch so I had no break... But now I have the whole day to spend worrying bout my line! But its great cause t-shirts were easy, now im rolling into doing bermuda golf shorts, board shorts, blazers and denim by the end of this year...

·
Registered
117 Posts
Definitely.... BTW... I love your designs!!! A+++

DesignSource said:
Not to rain on anyones parade, but I did the exact same thing and I would have appreciated someone telling me at the time.

Doing this full time is NOT a get rich quick scheam. I know there are a million ppl out there trying to live off selling t-shirts off the web and many ppl assume it's just a matter of putting up the product and sitting back and watching the cheddar roll in.

I'd say I work 3 times as hard as I did in my previous job (which I worked my *** off) and it has and can pay off, but it took a LOT of time, money, dedication, and stress. You might want to tread very very carefully in your situation (BTW my wife was 7 mnths preg. at the time. can you say scaaaaarrryyy!)

Just wanted to put some truth out there. Personally, it was the best choice I've ever made and I wish I'd started 10 years ago. Good luck in all your endeavors.

·
2,957 Posts
DesignSource said:

You don’t have to worry about raining on my parade. I have what I consider very realistic goals. Actually “making” money is not even close to the top of the list. We are wanting to build a brand by having quality products, excellent service, and an “Idea” that our market will support, and hopefully that will lead to “making” money somewhere down the line.

We began this clothing line late last year and have done pretty well, especially doing it part-time. Now that we are about to get in a few stores and get the site up and sell online, it will definitely take more time than selling shirts at work, and through friends and acquaintances.

Plus I already put in about 50 hours a week in on my business, which is in addition to my full-time job. And I consider those 50 hours part-time! So believe me, I know how hard it is. But I do appreciate the heads up!;)

·
Registered
85 Posts
Discussion Starter #13
I have no problem getting customers, I already have them. The problem is that I don't have the time to make the shirts as much as I'd like. I know it won't be just sittin' on the couch and expecting to get paid. I work hard now and always have. See, I'm starting a line to sell to just anyone. The shirts I sell are to a specific union only. The union is nationwide and I have had no problem selling any of the shirts that I have already made. It's just finding time to produce. I will be just happy if I make the same amount of $$ on the shirts as I do at my current job. I don't have to be rich, just want to live the same lifestyle that I'm living now.

·
Registered
243 Posts
DesignSource said:

Pretty much true of any new business. The important part is you took action. Nothing ventured nothing gained!

·
Registered
1,970 Posts
Tshirts are a get rich scheme, like many businesses, if you know what you're doing, and do it well. Lots of hard work, but you can but financally rewarded very quickly. I moved from red to black in about two weeks in the UK (and the red was pretty big) .

·
Registered
4,766 Posts
I do this as a sub to my social security. I retired 5 years ago. I started just doing wholesale tote bags and now doing tees. I work out of the house. I have several accounts set up across the USA and do a lot of emailing. As for as pricing goes. I have my wholesale setup as double my cost.. My retail is 4 times my cost. I have great suppliers. I use photoshop for design and Do only transfers. I use an epson cx7800 for my printing.. Just finished my first really large order of 100 tees. Oh did I emntion how this keeps me out from under my wifes feet. She is retire also but takes care of My 4 year old grandson.. and me the other 4 year old..
I also spent 30 years in retail management. Too me this is fun..

·
Registered
117 Posts
badalou said:
I do this as a sub to my social security. I retired 5 years ago. I started just doing wholesale tote bags and now doing tees. I work out of the house. I have several accounts set up across the USA and do a lot of emailing. As for as pricing goes. I have my wholesale setup as double my cost.. My retail is 4 times my cost. I have great suppliers. I use photoshop for design and Do only transfers. I use an epson cx7800 for my printing.. Just finished my first really large order of 100 tees. Oh did I emntion how this keeps me out from under my wifes feet. She is retire also but takes care of My 4 year old grandson.. and me the other 4 year old..
I also spent 30 years in retail management. Too me this is fun..
WoW! I like the last part cause my dad just retired and its the same situation, he's turned into a kid again.. I thought I'd never see the day he's be sitting on the his rooms deck eating an ice cream popsicle with my 3 year old nephew... haha Best of luck to everyone! Hope you all venture off and follow your dreams. Everyone here is amazing. We all have taken the initiative... dont let the dreams die!

VIVA LA T-SHIRT FORUMS.com HAHAHAHA

cheers

1 - 20 of 25 Posts