T-Shirt Forums banner

1 - 18 of 18 Posts

·
Registered
399 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I couldn't quite fit what I wanted to in the subject line. What I mean, is of the shirt sites you've purchased from, whose have you been the most impressed with in regards to little touches / add-ons included?

For example, a site which includes a written thank you note, with a coupon and a free sticker, etc.

This is a major selling point, and I don't see it discussed around here often.

Personally, I'm planning to soon make an order from Threadless and some others to see just how they come packaged / prepped. Thanks!

·
Premium Member
27,691 Posts
Personally, I'm planning to soon make an order from Threadless and some others to see just how they come packaged / prepped. Thanks!
I've purchased several t-shirts from threadless and they don't seem overly "detailed" in regards to the packaging/prep. Then again, they are selling 1000's of shirts a month, so it could just be a matter of timing/economics. Most of the shirts come with the packing slip and some free stickers.

It was briefly touched on in this thread:
http://www.t-shirtforums.com/showthread.php?t=3772&page=2

Nick (monkeylatern) posted a very cool picture of packing from www.oddica.com (I'd love to have some custom printing packaging like that).

I've purchased a lot of t-shirts online and I don't remember any that I've been especially memorable as far as the packaging is concerned. I usually focus on the t-shirt and the quality of the garment/printing/design.

One well done package/order process I remember cleary was my shopping experience at cdbaby.com

I was buying a Raul Midon CD. The shopping cart was very intuitive, the navigation was easy, the pages loaded fast, and the way they communicated with me as a customer in their "standard" order receipt/order shipped/packaging slip text was very unique and compelling.

·
Premium Member
10,512 Posts
Re: From the sites you've purchased from, which have come the most refined / well don

Rodney said:
One well done package/order process I remember cleary was my shopping experience at cdbaby.com
I'm a big fan of cdbaby - the whole velvet box/town cheering thing does get old, but they're a good example of a company with a simple and user-friendly setup (although I prefer their older search system - the new one gives too many results).

·
Registered
1,970 Posts
Oddica are the packaging gods at the moment. MrFunkleberry looks good too, although I've never ordered from them. Threadless has a few stickers and postcards, but apart from that, I think their packing has much to be desired.

We have a host of sexy niknaks in the works when we launch. Oh yeah.

·
Premium Member
27,691 Posts
Re: From the sites you've purchased from, which have come the most refined / well don

monkeylantern said:
Oddica are the packaging gods at the moment.
Brian from oddica was gracious enough to share some of his packaging info in that other thread:
http://www.t-shirtforums.com/showthread.php?t=3772&page=4

It's amazing how knowing the "right" search term can help you find stuff.

I was always searching google for "cuustom printed boxes" but I should have been searching for "flexible packaging" which is a term I'd never heard of.

·
Registered
1,906 Posts
How important do you guys think little bonuses or great packaging are for getting repeat customers? As with Rodney, I usually look and think more about the shirt itself than the way it was shipped, but obviously not everyone is going to be the same way. I got a nifty Snakes on a Plane sticker when I got my SoaP t-shirt, but the sweet t-shirts on that site will draw me to buy more, not the sticker.

·
Premium Member
27,691 Posts
How important do you guys think little bonuses or great packaging are for getting repeat customers?
I think it depends on the market.

High fashion customer: it will make a big difference.

General t-shirt customer: won't make as much difference.

"high ticket" t-shirt (limited edition. priced at $25+): probably will add value

"regular priced" t-shirt ($15 or less): money might be better spent on marketing/advertising

·
Registered
1,970 Posts

Rodney said:
I think it depends on the market.

High fashion customer: it will make a big difference.

General t-shirt customer: won't make as much difference.

"high ticket" t-shirt (limited edition. priced at $25+): probably will add value

"regular priced" t-shirt ($15 or less): money might be better spent on marketing/advertising
I think this is a good breakdown (if you class the very good "general" sites as high fashion, such as Oddica and Threadless).

·
Premium Member
27,691 Posts

monkeylantern said:
I think this is a good breakdown (if you class the very good "general" sites as high fashion, such as Oddica and Threadless).
Yeah, I was including them as "high fashion" in my breakdown above.

I got my Oddica order today, and the packaging was really cool! It's almost a shame to throw it away, since it has the same artwork as one of the t-shirts I ordered. Maybe it'll be an item on antiques roadshow someday :)

I can't figure out how they sealed it, It almost looks like there is no opening for them to put the t-shirt in (must be heat sealed).

It was foil/silver inside, so the shirts were sealed up like food :)

They say they screen print with water-based inks and I can definitely tell the difference between water based and plastisol. There really is no feel on the print with water based inks, even with mutiple colors.

Attachments

·
Registered
528 Posts
I bought a shirt from t-shirt hell a while back. The packaging was nothing special but the receipt was hilarious. At the very top in big black letters they printed "HERE'S YOUR [email protected]%#ING RECEIPT" with the real word, of course. This wouldn't work for everyone, but I was amused. I guess that they figured the people ordering their shirts wouldn't care too much. :)

1 - 18 of 18 Posts