T-Shirt Forums banner
1 - 20 of 26 Posts

·
Registered
34 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
whats your advice/steps to having your tshirts selling from a retail store?

whats the process to having your tshirts in a retail store or a boutique?

can you set up to sell your tshirts at a retail store before you start selling online? or is online the first step?

whats the steps?

·
Registered
120 Posts
Well when you find a retail store/boutique that identifies with your target market, you approach them with your samples. Depending on how well you can sell, they may buy some at wholesale price, let you display on consignment, or not deal at all.

Mainly the step is to approach customer > make a sale.

·
Registered
18 Posts
Hi HonorableICE,

I've been down the road of getting products into retail stores with some hits and misses.
These steps are based on my experience, other people's experiences may be different.

1. First step was connecting with a retail store. I contacted with stores over the phone and tried to get a meeting with the owner.

2. Once the meeting was set up, I presented the owner with a catalog of designs that were available for purchase. I also brought in about 10-15 physical samples of the products.

3. The owners would go through the designs and give some feedback, they would take the catalog (which had all our contact information) and usually give me a call in the next few days if they wanted to purchase.

I'm not doing this sort of thing anymore, but I can say face to face meetings are so much better than sending emails and other contact methods.

If a store is going to buy from you, you need to be able to answer all their questions. Generally they want to know what the rrp (recommended retail price) will be, delivery times, quantities you are able to provide, and what makes your product better than the rest.

A tip with rrp. Generally, (but not always) retail stores mark-up your products by 100%. So if you t-shirt is to retail for $40, they will be expecting you to sell your t-shirt to them for $20.

Hope this info helped?

·
Registered
34 Posts
Discussion Starter · #4 ·
Well when you find a retail store/boutique that identifies with your target market, you approach them with your samples. Depending on how well you can sell, they may buy some at wholesale price, let you display on consignment, or not deal at all.

Mainly the step is to approach customer > make a sale.
how much will be wholesale price?

·
Registered
34 Posts
Discussion Starter · #5 ·
3. The owners would go through the designs and give some feedback, they would take the catalog (which had all our contact information) and usually give me a call in the next few days if they wanted to purchase.
ok so regarding the catalog. how should it look?

about how many photos?

should it be photos of models in the clothes or just shirts?

does the catalog needs a cover or a specific type of paper?

should it look like a Saks catalog for example: size, price and ect?

·
Registered
6,679 Posts
ok so regarding the catalog. how should it look?

about how many photos?

should it be photos of models in the clothes or just shirts?

does the catalog needs a cover or a specific type of paper?

should it look like a Saks catalog for example: size, price and ect?
It's really up to you. There are no rules and there is no right or wrong. Get creative. But be sure to include all necessary info for the buyer to understand your product and be able to contact you and place an order.

Generally speaking, when you use photographic images of your products, that is known as a look book. When you use line drawings of your product line, that is a line sheet. When meeting with buyers, I would recommend having physical samples of your products along with a line sheet.

It doesn't need a cover and the type of paper is up to you.

It doesn't need to look like Saks, but the info on those catalogs is a very good reference point. Size, Price, Fiber Content, etc. Any kind of product description that helps sell your brand will help.

Try Googling "line sheets" and you will probably be able to find some examples.

·
Registered
6,679 Posts
And to answer your original question, there really isn't a process to getting your brand in stores. But it will probably take time. Retail stores are reluctant to work with new brands for a variety of reasons. The biggest challenge early on will be getting your production costs down low enough to offer competitive wholesale prices so the retail store can get the margins they expect and still keep the retail price at a competitive price.

·
Registered
18 Posts
It's really up to you. There are no rules and there is no right or wrong. Get creative. But be sure to include all necessary info for the buyer to understand your product and be able to contact you and place an order.

It doesn't need to look like Saks, but the info on those catalogs is a very good reference point. Size, Price, Fiber Content, etc. Any kind of product description that helps sell your brand will help.
I agree with Kimura-mma,

Keep the catalog simple and clean.

I had mine broken up into catagories: t-shirt's hoodie's etc. In each category I displayed the artwork mocked up on a line art garment. Under the mockup were colour boxes indicating available colours for that style. Next to the mockup was the product information: Name of the design, Wholesale price, RRP price, Available sizing (XS through to XXL), Fabric type, and any other item descriptions (slim fit t-shirt etc).

Another thing I did was to pull out the best looking designs and give them a full page to create some hype. This was usually like a full page add you would find in a magazine. I would use a model or take a photo of the garment hanging in a cool location.

Hope this helps?

·
Registered
120 Posts
I know that when we buy, we are usually presented with samples(that include available swatches), and lookbooks. Most of the brands are locally represented, meaning a sales rep comes to us with the items. Most sales reps sell a variety of brands(say insight, rvca, obey, etc...) and make a pitch on all. You may have a shot if you can get a rep to handle your line along with their other brands, although they usually take a higher cut on start-up brands. They would be risking their reputation by offering unknown brands. I suggest hooking up with local brands in your city/state and see who handles and who buys.

I think samples are the most important element, because as buyers, we know that a lookbook/linesheet will never show the quality of the garment.

Depending on your capital, it may only make sense to do consignment until you find a customer base

·
Registered
31 Posts
1. I am curious to know if individuals Pacsun or Tilly's stores in the malls would accept such unknown brands or would we have to first contact the main buy at the corporate office in order to get such products in stores

2. If I have only 5 shirts to sell, would a single page line sheet do that I can develop in photo shop and print on my local printer?

·
Registered
119 Posts
Hi,

As a retailer. I can say seeing what the quality of print and t shirt is important . So i like to feel what i am getting . And knowing what the wholesale price is.
The pictures of the products you have are also important. I had one rep who brought me crumpled sheets of paper? Would my t shirts come in the same way? To me it is all about looking professional . That you care about your product.
And make sure you know your product . The sizes and what colours you are doing . All the info you can give is brilliant.

Hope i help

·
Registered
589 Posts
Hi,

As a retailer. I can say seeing what the quality of print and t shirt is important . So i like to feel what i am getting . And knowing what the wholesale price is.
The pictures of the products you have are also important. I had one rep who brought me crumpled sheets of paper? Would my t shirts come in the same way? To me it is all about looking professional . That you care about your product.
And make sure you know your product . The sizes and what colours you are doing . All the info you can give is brilliant.

Hope i help
As a retailer, would you suggest more trying to get an appointment in person or over the phone? I imagine that it must differ from person to person for various reasons but any input is appreciated!

·
Registered
4 Posts
Hi,

Hope i help
For us personally we've been thinking of making the entire package and presentation extremely professional. We were thinking of dishing out a pretty cent for our lookbooks and line sheets that way we can present ourselves in the best possible way.

Do you think from a retailer's perspective, seeing an upcoming brand with all their ends tied up down to the T even with the presentation and professionalism would make a huge difference in terms of making sales/consignment deals?

·
Registered
119 Posts
Hi,

sorry took so long to answer you. Yes i think for an upcoming brand would make a refreshing change. Had a few in the last couple years. With as i say the crumpled paper or worse the crumpled shirts.
Would always say in person as over the phone is so hard. And be very up beat and knowledgeable about your product . That will help you 100 per cent . From our end.
Hope you do well.

·
Registered
54 Posts
Hey I have a quick question, I just saw your big cartel and the tank Top with the picture of the girl on it. I am looking to do that same thing but I feel like it would cost to much, do to the different shadows and colors please let me know im very curious

1 - 20 of 26 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.