T-Shirt Forums banner
1 - 5 of 5 Posts

· Registered
1 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Where to start? My name is Jose. I'm 21 years old, I dropped out of school @ 16, I'm dirt poor, I can't get a job, I have 5 younger brothers and 1 younger sister, my mom is in poor health, and my family is struggling to make ends meet living paycheck to paycheck. Your probably saying to yourself "then go out and try harder to get a job". I am, but I never always made the smartest choices in life and it's affecting me so much right now. Apparently people don't deserve a second chance. I'm from a city where the murder rate is high, and drugs are the only way for people to try and put some dollars in their pocket. My future didn't look to bright, but as of 6 months ago I've been trying my hardest to brighten it. I stopped everything wrong I was doing and started to try and live my life the right way. The hard earned way. About 3 months ago I had a dream. My mother was doing good, all of the bills were paid on time, and we had our own house out in the country somewhere. My sick mother didn't have to work anymore and my siblings had everything they ever wanted. Life was beautiful. I was finally providing for my family and we had no worries. Sadly I woke up. As soon as I woke up though an idea popped into my head. It was full of crazy clothing ideas. I love fashion, but never ever thought of having my own clothing line. I got out of bed and started writing ideas down and drawing like a mad man. All this happened for maybe 2-3 hours. I ended up with 8 designs, and stories behind all of them. Beautiful designs with beautiful meanings and very fashion forward mixed with a little bit of the current stuff. This was about 4 months ago and now I have more than 17 designs. My mother helped me pay for the copyright and things like that. Now I'm ready to start making moves. I have my business plan all ready and ventured into drawing some denims, boots, and accessories. I even went as far as to drawing the packaging it's gonna come in and little trinkets to collect that come with the shirts. I'm onto something big and I know it. I have a feeling that in 2-3 years time I'm gonna be making millions of dollars, but there's a long, long road to travel. I'm here because I feel like this site has so much information that can aid me. There's so many smart, young entrepeneurial people who want to make their lives better, and people who have knowledge about this one can only gain by going through it. I wanna learn those things. Like I said earlier, as of now I have a business plan outlined, 17+ designs, clothing line name copyrighted, and a drive to do this like no other. I just need to be guided and enlighted.
I have a couple of questions to ask.

1. Where can I find freelance artists?

2. How can I get dyed, distressed t-shirts?

3. Where can I get an assortment of shirt colors and styles like longsleeve, v-neck, or thermal?

4. What is the highest quality printing method?

5. How can I brand the neck tag on my shirts?

6. How much does the average person make a week or a month with a steady supply of product selling?

7. How much do you make a week or month selling t-shirts?

8. What is exactly the point of the "Magic Tradeshow"?

I have hella more questions to ask. I'll be sure to search the forums a bit more and see if any of them have been answered already. If you read my wall of text thank you lol. I look forward to expanding my knowledge about the fashion business here. Thank you again. Cyas tommorow.

· Registered
379 Posts
Hello Jose welcome to the forum. For each question you just type it in on the forum at the top in the space provided in the search bar your anwsers are provided in the forum. Keep your head up and stay focuse. Good luck!

· Premium Member
11,130 Posts
Where to start? My name is Jose. I'm 21 years old, I dropped out of school @ 16, I'm dirt poor, I can't get a job, I have 5 younger brothers and 1 younger sister, my mom is in poor health, and my family is struggling to make ends meet living paycheck to paycheck. Your probably saying to yourself "then go out and try harder to get a job". I am, but I never always made the smartest choices in life and it's affecting me so much right now. Apparently people don't deserve a second chance. I'm from a city where the murder rate is high, and drugs are the only way for people to try and put some dollars in their pocket. My future didn't look to bright, but as of 6 months ago I've been trying my hardest to brighten it. I stopped everything wrong I was doing and started to try and live my life the right way. The hard earned way. About 3 months ago I had a dream. My mother was doing good, all of the bills were paid on time, and we had our own house out in the country somewhere. My sick mother didn't have to work anymore and my siblings had everything they ever wanted. Life was beautiful. I was finally providing for my family and we had no worries. Sadly I woke up. As soon as I woke up though an idea popped into my head. It was full of crazy clothing ideas. I love fashion, but never ever thought of having my own clothing line. I got out of bed and started writing ideas down and drawing like a mad man. All this happened for maybe 2-3 hours. I ended up with 8 designs, and stories behind all of them. Beautiful designs with beautiful meanings and very fashion forward mixed with a little bit of the current stuff. This was about 4 months ago and now I have more than 17 designs. My mother helped me pay for the copyright and things like that. Now I'm ready to start making moves. I have my business plan all ready and ventured into drawing some denims, boots, and accessories. I even went as far as to drawing the packaging it's gonna come in and little trinkets to collect that come with the shirts. I'm onto something big and I know it. I have a feeling that in 2-3 years time I'm gonna be making millions of dollars, but there's a long, long road to travel. I'm here because I feel like this site has so much information that can aid me. There's so many smart, young entrepeneurial people who want to make their lives better, and people who have knowledge about this one can only gain by going through it. I wanna learn those things. Like I said earlier, as of now I have a business plan outlined, 17+ designs, clothing line name copyrighted, and a drive to do this like no other. I just need to be guided and enlighted.
I have a couple of questions to ask.
Sorry to hear of your plight, Jose. There are some other folks on the boards dealing with a downturned economy, as well as living in hard hit areas. All we can all do is the best we can. It is true, that the answers you seek have been written about on the boards, and there are many threads on each topic. Let's see if we can't get you going in the right direction on these. Some of your questions are complex, and some can't be answered, but I will give you search terms in "quotes" to make it easy for you to find the answers to the complex questions. They are out there, and the best way to answer some of your questions will be to lead you to the threads so you can compile the varied responses and get your education and find what *works* for you. Here we go:

1. Where can I find freelance artists?
In the search box, type "freelance artist" "how to find artist" "graphic artist" "how to hire artist" "what to pay artist".

Those will return many current threads on the topic, and there are alot of input in those threads with many suggestions of where to find and how to hire freelance artists.

2. How can I get dyed, distressed t-shirts?
Type: "dyed distressed" "wholesale dyed" "wholesale distressed" "supplier dyed" "supplier distressed" "dye house".

3. Where can I get an assortment of shirt colors and styles like longsleeve, v-neck, or thermal?
For this, you will need to look at wholesalers websites to see what they offer. I do not know if you have your resale number yet or not, but if you don't, you can look at these sites as they do not require you to have it before registering and viewing wholesale prices:
http://www.t-shirtforums.com/wholesale-t-shirts/t37991.html#post222455

To find suppliers close to you, you can google or look for wholesale tee shirt suppliers in the Yellow pages. Local is sometimes the best since you may be able to do local pick up (avoid shipping exp), as well, your shipping turn around will be short if you need shipping.

4. What is the highest quality printing method?
http://www.t-shirtforums.com/general-t-shirt-selling-discussion/t48532.html

5. How can I brand the neck tag on my shirts?
There is an entire section of the forum for this topic: :)
T-Shirt Tag Relabeling and Finishing - T-Shirt Forums

6. How much does the average person make a week or a month with a steady supply of product selling?
That varies so greatly, there is no way to answer that. Sales volume, price point, operating costs, etc...

7. How much do you make a week or month selling t-shirts?
I doubt anyone will share that on the boards. ;)

8. What is exactly the point of the "Magic Tradeshow"?
Search "magic tradeshow" "magic". Reading feedback on the show is the best way to find the value in it.

Here is another link for you:
http://www.t-shirtforums.com/offline-retail-tradeshows/t64059.html#post380002

I have hella more questions to ask. I'll be sure to search the forums a bit more and see if any of them have been answered already. If you read my wall of text thank you lol. I look forward to expanding my knowledge about the fashion business here. Thank you again. Cyas tommorow.
Good luck to you, Jose. :)

· Registered
276 Posts
Welcome to the forum Jose!:) I understand your plight,just keep on praying and doing your research,you will find that things will turn around,it may not be when you need it to, but it will work if you keep trying something WILL happen.
Magic is a trade show in Vegas that you can buy products or display your products so that store buyers can purchase your goods. It also has a sourcing section( where you can find companies to cut,sew and design your products) you will work up to that! I my opinion it is a good place to go to get a feel of what is going on in the industry. Also Off -Price(another show @ the same time in another hotel close by MAGIC) is really where you need to start. You can see all the discounters and also display there as well.I know that many designers display @ off-price becasuse MAGIC is expensive. For example there is Bob Bennett who refuses to go to MAGIC but a lot of people go to off price just to buy from him. I carry his line and it really does well! Hope this helps and I will keep you in prayer!

1 - 5 of 5 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.