T-Shirt Forums banner

1 - 20 of 27 Posts

·
Premium Member
10,512 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Q: Have you got some information on large format dye sublimation printing?
http://www.t-shirtforums.com/dye-sublimation/t21207.html

Q: What t-shirt blanks are suitable for dye sublimation?
http://www.t-shirtforums.com/dye-sublimation/t4916.html
http://www.t-shirtforums.com/wholesale-t-shirts/t6553.html

Q: Where can I source other things to decorate?
http://www.t-shirtforums.com/dye-sublimation/t47.html

Q: I'm try to sublimate performance fabrics, got any info?
http://www.t-shirtforums.com/dye-sublimation/t9420.html

Note: This list is incomplete, you can help the forums by contributing to it! Have a favourite dye sublimation thread? Post it up!

The above threads are not necessarily definitive (particularly those on blanks), I'm sure there are other great threads on the topics. So if you have better threads that answer the above questions, feel free to post those too.

We want a few of the best threads on each topic, so when better examples are found we can replace the weaker ones with those.

·
Registered
21 Posts
I'm new at sublimation, and am wondering if there is a difference between sublimation and unisub? (please excuse my "numbness" on the topic);-)

·
Registered
21 Posts
Ok, thanks for clearing that up! I wasn't sure as I was trying to print on some darker plaques and I can't get the print to show up, so I must be doing something wrong.

·
Registered
487 Posts
I am new to the dye sub thing and I have a question.
How much of the printed image should be left on paper after pressing a garment .
All equipment and supplies are from coastal ( all new )
pressed garment 5 seconds
placed image
firm pressure 35 seconds @ 405 degrees , at the end of cycle temp dropped to 395 .
print looked okay but not as vibrant as samples that I have seen , should I crank heat up so that temp does not drop below 400 ?
The press is a dk 20 and usually holds temps well but it was a cold night

·
Registered
6,429 Posts
I am new to the dye sub thing and I have a question.
How much of the printed image should be left on paper after pressing a garment .
All equipment and supplies are from coastal ( all new )
pressed garment 5 seconds
placed image
firm pressure 35 seconds @ 405 degrees , at the end of cycle temp dropped to 395 .
print looked okay but not as vibrant as samples that I have seen , should I crank heat up so that temp does not drop below 400 ?
The press is a dk 20 and usually holds temps well but it was a cold night
It's not the inks that transfer it is the disperse dye (sublimation dye) that transfers. The ink on the paper is only used as a "carrier" to get the dyes to the paper.

The image where the ink sits on the paper will change when heat pressing but won't be removed, this is normal.

Your temp is OK, try increasing your dwell. Also, are you using near 100% poly fabric?

Other "vibrancy" issues can be due to color management problems, paper issue (poor paper or printing on wrong side of paper), or even paper type settings in your printer driver.

·
Registered
487 Posts
yes the garments are 100 % white poly
the reason I asked about the image transfer is when I pressed a mouse pad the image on the paper was very faint after pressing but the garment i did last night the image is still strong on the paper.
what would you say the max dwell should be

·
Registered
6,429 Posts
yes the garments are 100 % white poly
the reason I asked about the image transfer is when I pressed a mouse pad the image on the paper was very faint after pressing but the garment i did last night the image is still strong on the paper.
what would you say the max dwell should be
Depends on the fabric. Dwell can be in the 30 - 60 seconds range. Max would rarely be longer than 60 seconds. Mousepads generally I do 50 - 60 seconds.

What is your printer model and ink brand?

·
Registered
14 Posts
Hi got a question and don't know where to post it. Bought Ricoh 2100 printer and sublimation ink off amazon. Didn't install the ink from the printer instead put the sublimation ink in straight away. Printed onto mug sized sublimation paper, print was clear and same colours as on my screen. (Printed from illustrator). I tape the image to the sublimation mug used the mug wrap and after it had been in the oven I cooled it down in tepid water. My image was just yellow on the mug. Did this twice, with the same results.

Anyone know what part of the process needs changing?

·
Registered
29 Posts
Hi I am kind of new in sublimation. I want to ask on what t-shirts percentage of cotton and polyster I can print? I mean whats the minimum polyster percentage for sublimation?

·
Registered
412 Posts
Hi I am kind of new in sublimation. I want to ask on what t-shirts percentage of cotton and polyster I can print? I mean whats the minimum polyster percentage for sublimation?

Most users choose 100% polyester shirts. I've read some post that stated as long as it was at least 65% poly it would work. Some have sublimated to 50/50 shirts to get a retro faded look. But most use 100% poly. Hope this helps

1 - 20 of 27 Posts