T-Shirt Forums banner

1 - 20 of 105 Posts

·
Registered
36 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Hey everyone, I am wondering if anyone has any experience & can lend their wisdom of working with a freelance artist to draw their text & display it on a shirt??What I mean is that I know what it is I need my shirts to say, I just need someone to create it & display it in a way of which I can't. (I can't draw or design worth a damn.) But my questions are #1- Does anyone have any experience, what is an ideal price just for text designed in a graphic way? And #2- What type of forms or legal agreemants need to be signed to insure that once they design it that it does indeed belong to me from that point forward? If anyone has any info please let me know. You guys have a cool & safe 4th of July! Thanks, Marcus!

·
Registered
34 Posts
Hi,

Yes, I have experience because I too have all of this crazy creativity but do not know how to draw. I hired a freelance graphic designer to do my designs.

We actually negotiated a really good deal pricing wise. I provide him with everything on the concept so it is all my ideas, he just draws it for me. We had a written agreement upfront that the designs are solely mine since I thought of the concept and he is just drawing it but that he can use them in his portfolio as a way to show future clients he may have the work that he has done.

There is really no other way for you to go if you don't know how to draw at all, you will have to obtain someone to do it for you whether it's a friend, family member, graphic artist from a design firm etc. You could take art classes so that you can do it yourself if that is what you really want to do.:)

Please make sure to have the details of the agreement worked out and put in writing prior to you hiring him/her on so that way if that person tried to sell your idea for profit, you could take them to court but usually most graphic artists that work for firms, screen printers etc are ethical since their business is not necessarily to sell t-shirts like we are trying to do. Their business is to do the graphic work.

I hope I am making sense and I hope this helps.

Good luck to you.:)

·
Registered
5,044 Posts
You will want to get transfer of copyright letters signed by both parties for all art you purchase from a freelancer. Even though it is your concept they created the art, thus they own the rights. Depending on your ideas and expectations your price will vary from artist to artist. FInding a freelancer that can work within your budget and time constraints will be the tough part.
www.sgia.org
www.usscreen.com
www.impressionsmag.com
I believe all of these have sections with contact info for freelancers.

·
Premium Member
27,700 Posts
I think elance.com and designoutpost.com are great places to find freelance artists and post projects.

·
Registered
282 Posts
M-Ant said:
Hey everyone, I am wondering if anyone has any experience & can lend their wisdom of working with a freelance artist to draw their text & display it on a shirt??What I mean is that I know what it is I need my shirts to say, I just need someone to create it & display it in a way of which I can't. (I can't draw or design worth a damn.) But my questions are #1- Does anyone have any experience, what is an ideal price just for text designed in a graphic way? And #2- What type of forms or legal agreemants need to be signed to insure that once they design it that it does indeed belong to me from that point forward? If anyone has any info please let me know. You guys have a cool & safe 4th of July! Thanks, Marcus!
I hired an artist to draw a design and it was a good experience. The only drawback was how much it cost me, so I'm figuring out how to be as self sufficient as possible these days.

Maybe you can work out a deal or get a friend to work for cheap.

·
Registered
111 Posts
I actually do my own work thats what got me into the whole process of making shirts (screenprinting and thanks to this site I now know about heat pressing). I am not a pro but have some familarity with graphic software have made 2 cd covers for local artists and shirt designs. Anyone need help in making designs or want to learn how to use a software (photoshop and illustrator is what I know) then I could point you to some tutorial websites.

·
Registered
11 Posts
I have a similar question. I started working with an art teacher to put my ideas on paper. Although her art work is really good, she's never done anything like this before and it's new for me as well. In any case, she spoke to someone and they told her to ask for $25/design and 5% of profits from the tees. I would rather pay $50 for each and just own them right out. What's fair?Any help with this would be greatly appreciated.

·
Registered
111 Posts
The way I found out that someone needed a cd cover artwork was through craigslist. so maybe if you put a wante ad or an ad in the "gig" section then you may get someone that may do it for a low price especially art students, a friend of mine got someone thats in college (a student) and is going to help build his site for a good price.

·
Premium Member
27,700 Posts
she spoke to someone and they told her to ask for $25/design and 5% of profits from the tees. I would rather pay $50 for each and just own them right out. What's fair?Any help with this would be greatly appreciated.
Although $50 seems low for ownership of copyright of a design someone drew for you, it may be possible to get it for that price.

I sometimes use designoutpost for logos and stuff, and they have a list of their "minimum" project amounts fo things like this posted here:
http://www.designoutpost.com/pricelist.htm

Paying a continual commission like 5% on a design seems like it would get too complicated.

·
Registered
5,044 Posts
In any case, she spoke to someone and they told her to ask for $25/design and 5% of profits from the tees. I would rather pay $50 for each and just own them right out. What's fair?Any help with this would be greatly appreciated.
giving royalties to an artist for most of the work in screen printing is not worth the hassle. Really the only time this benefits the artist is when it is a pre print line and a rather large one. Ex. No Fear
I beleive this is what your looking at yet you can find a good artist willing to work with you giving you full rights to the designs. Just have to find them.

·
Registered
28 Posts
Praise the Lord for lawaughn! We designers out here need to feed our families too. Most people don't realize the cost of a REAL design. They are used to going out and finding the cheapest bidder and many times as the ol' adage goes, "you get what you paid for". Please, please realize a good design can cost from $150-$300 for a t-shirt design. Help a fellow screenprinter and spare some change;)

·
Premium Member
27,700 Posts
I think that with just about any business, there will always be people that will be able to do the same work for less money. Especially in this global economy.

I've had REAL designs done for $55 and I've had them done for $400. And all types of prices in between.

In this market, it's not always "you get what you pay for", but you should know what you want or you might not get what you need :)

·
Registered
304 Posts
Every situation is different. I have had artist that are really great most of the time and then the suck when they did something for me. Then, I have artist that are better is you guide them step by step.

Just make a offer of what you can afford and see who bites.
Trying and learning from experiece is the key to most things.

·
Registered
303 Posts
How much are you guys paying for t-shirt designs? I'm paying $300USD for 10 good quality t-shirt designs and that price will also include my company logo and a membership card design. I'm going to see if I can get some extras perhaps :D

HongKongDMZ

·
Registered
303 Posts
I'll admit though the guy making them has been a friend of mine for around 18 years so that helps a bit. but i'm getting the copyrights to all the designs as well. As far as I'm concerned I could find someone else and pay them more but he has the style that I'm looking for and it's easy to communicate. Cost isnt really a big issue with him and i'm very lucky for that.

HongKongDMZ

1 - 20 of 105 Posts