T-Shirt Forums banner

1 - 19 of 19 Posts

·
Registered
3,800 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Anyone using their computer internet browser as an FTP softwre to updload and download files from your site ?

You can just drag and drop files.... (windows).

·
Registered
3,800 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
yeah, type this in your browser address bar: ftp:yoursite.com

Then a box comes up that asks you for your:

FTP
User name:
password:

and voila, all your files for you site come up on your browser. :D

·
Registered
1,906 Posts
T-BOT said:
Anyone using their computer internet browser as an FTP softwre to updload and download files from your site ?
Using a browser as an ftp client is annoying. There are plenty of good, free FTP clients out there; there is generally no need to use your browser, which can have many difficulties in some areas of ftp transfer.

·
Registered
3,800 Posts
Discussion Starter #5 (Edited by Moderator)
Twinge said:
Using a browser as an ftp client is annoying. There are plenty of good, free FTP clients out there; there is generally no need to use your browser, which can have many difficulties in some areas of ftp transfer.
Now Twinge, it sounds like you cant get it to work ???? :D

What could be so annoying about Drag and Drop.

You simply drag and drop your files from one window to the other. How much simpler can it be ?

·
Registered
1,906 Posts
T-BOT said:
Now Twinge, it sounds like you cant get it to work ???? :D

What could be so annoying about Drag and Drop.

You simply drag and drop your files from one window to the other. How much simpler can it be ?
it's about browsers not being built for ftp and them performing sub-par in that area. Yes the work for ftp; but not as well as clientys made for ftp alone. It's hard to come up with a specific list, but I've heard of (and personally had) enough problems using a broswer for ftp that it was WELL worth switching to an actual ftp client. I'm currently using Filezilla (as I linked previously); before that, I was using LeechFTP which was also good.

For the record though, since you like drag and drop so much - you can drag and drop in Filezilla too :p

·
Premium Member
10,512 Posts
T-BOT said:
But if you're just uploading/downloading files and you use winsdows, why not just use your browser for that...:D
For the same reason you don't use Java to access telnet: using the right tool for the job is usually easier in the long run than using what happens to be at hand.

·
Registered
31 Posts
I recommend filezilla.

it is a great ftp program, with good speed and i use it on a daily basis transfering and backing up GB's of files.

·
Registered
1,262 Posts
Fluid said:
another good one is www.yousendit.com Have been using thisone for quite some time with great success.
It's great for sending big files, but after using it a few times my spam went from 0 to 100+ penis enlargement emails A DAY. :mad: Maybe it is a coincidence, but I'm thinking it's payback for using their free service. Did you have the same problem, Fluid?

·
Registered
1,906 Posts
rlfreshwater said:
It's great for sending big files, but after using it a few times my spam went from 0 to 100+ penis enlargement emails A DAY. :mad: Maybe it is a coincidence, but I'm thinking it's payback for using their free service. Did you have the same problem, Fluid?
Ands this is why it's handy to have an alternate email address to use for signups. Whenever I sign up for nearly anything I use a seperate email address which I can check if need be (often times you need to verify a real email address), but that way most of the spam goes to it instead of my main email address.

·
Registered
44 Posts
T-BOT said:
ok, so admit. I use the FREE CORE FTP: http://www.coreftp.com/download.html

Thats because it makes it easy to set File Permissions and other things like that.

But if you're just uploading/downloading files and you use winsdows, why not just use your browser for that...:D
Designated ftp-clients will automatically select send/receive mode (ASCII or binary) better. That's crucial.

1 - 19 of 19 Posts