T-Shirt Forums banner

1 - 20 of 51 Posts

·
Registered
28 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
For many years I have been trying to achieve the screen print look of text using heat transfers on Dark fabrics. Light transfer paper allows this on light fabrics, however, dark transfers as you all know, work in a totally different way. All I could ever come up with is to have my vinyl cutter cut out the letters on dark transfer paper and individually place them one at a time on the fabric trying to align each one. We never actually did this as it is to time consuming and not practical from the business stand point.

I have developed a system where I have been able to achieve the screen printers look of free floating text on dark fabric in a couple of easy steps where all letters come off the page together and are placed already aligned onto the fabric. Trouble is I can only have white text as I can't print color onto the transfer paper using the system I have developed.

THE QUESTION
Does anyone use a creative way to have letters placed (not touching each other) using dark transfer paper on dark fabric where you have printed colored text onto the paper and can then transfer them easily to the dark fabric? I hope this is an understandable question!

·
Registered
4,766 Posts
Yes and no. When you say vinyl you really mean opaque transfer paper right. Not vinyl as in Apparel vinyl that I and others cut from a roll. If you use opaque transfer paper your going have to do a lot of hand cutting to get what you want. However vinyl cut from a cutter is really easy. See pics.

·
Registered
3,218 Posts
I have developed a system where I have been able to achieve the screen printers look of free floating text on dark fabric in a couple of easy steps where all letters come off the page together and are placed already aligned onto the fabric. Trouble is I can only have white text as I can't print color onto the transfer paper using the system I have developed.

THE QUESTION
Does anyone use a creative way to have letters placed (not touching each other) using dark transfer paper on dark fabric where you have printed colored text onto the paper and can then transfer them easily to the dark fabric? I hope this is an understandable question!
Can you explain your "developed" system further? I hope to learn from them as well.

You can try and use a "carrier tape" when using opaque transfer paper as shown on this video:

http://www.iccink.com/forever/videos/1/18.wmv

·
Registered
1,691 Posts
For many years I have been trying to achieve the screen print look of text using heat transfers on Dark fabrics. Light transfer paper allows this on light fabrics, however, dark transfers as you all know, work in a totally different way. All I could ever come up with is to have my vinyl cutter cut out the letters on dark transfer paper and individually place them one at a time on the fabric trying to align each one. We never actually did this as it is to time consuming and not practical from the business stand point.

THE QUESTION
Print the text using an inkjet printer

Cut the text using an optic eye cutter

Weed the excess away

Use a heat resistant masking material to pick up all of the letters at once (prespaced)

Lay on shirt and press

·
Registered
28 Posts
Discussion Starter #6
Hey Guys! Thanks to Lou, Josh and Byron! Basically the carrier paper that Byron mentions and the Heat resistant mask that Josh mentioned are the piece of the missing puzzle I need. I have been using a heat resistant painters tape to do exactly what both you guys have described. So much for my developed system.. seems like it's an already developed and perfected technique. I thought I was working on something on the cutting edge. Big Head little brain thing. The painters tape works but it peels off any ink that has been applied to the transfer paper. So all I could achieve was white lettering.

Once you have all stopped laughing at me(I am so go ahead) maybe you could direct me to a place where I can purchase this heat resistant "Carrier tape".

Thanks for your answers Guys!
Gordo

·
Premium Member
27,700 Posts
Once you have all stopped laughing at me(I am so go ahead) maybe you could direct me to a place where I can purchase this heat resistant "Carrier tape".
I think they probably sell it at imprintables.com or other vinyl/sign supply websites.

·
Registered
28 Posts
Discussion Starter #9
I use something called Magic Mask from Beacon Graphics. it's reusable, too - can get many transfers from one piece.
I haven't tried magic mask but have tried several other carrier tapes. So far I have had bad results. Ink sticking to transfer tape, transfer tape not picking up letters that are small, transfer tape ripping transfer paper, and so on.I should mention that I am transfering onto koozies (not T shirts) so I am working with polyester and nylon, no cotton. This might be my problem as my heat has to be fairly low 280F Any suggestions?

Thanks
Gordo:confused:

·
Registered
114 Posts
I'd give magic mask or something similar a try. it's not a tape, it's a mylar sheet with adhesive on one side. I did have some problems with the adhesive on the MagicMask sticking to the backing paper of one brand of transfer, but it isn't a problem at all with the gridded opaque transfers.

BTW, what's a koozie??

·
Registered
28 Posts
Discussion Starter #14
Success at last! I have changed my Dark Tshirt paper from Blue Grid to a no no name brand I found here in Canada and presto the film carrier works great. There seems to be too much adhiesive on the blue grid paper to pick up small letters and I also couldn't get the carrier to not rip off the top layer of ink. This new paper has very little adhiesive so I can pick up the smallest letters and it doesn't take any ink off the paper at all. A last press after removing the carrier film with teflon gets a nice shine to the transfer as well. This supplier has his own carrier film which works great with his paper. Thanks to all of you for your help on this matter! And Yes Koozies (at least ours) are neoprene (wetsuit material) beverage insulators to keep all sizes of BEER COLD.

·
Registered
28 Posts
what is the heat resistant masking material you are talking about? I tried one from Beacon and it didn't even begin to pick up the text off of my printed, weeded transfer. Am I using the wrong brand? I had an order for dark shirts (that I have thankfully completed and given to them) that was the hardest order I have ever filled. They now want more. If you know of a different masking material PLEASE let me know OR if I am not doing it correctly ( I weeded the transfer, placed the mask on top of it and used a squeegy that I use for vinyl signs to ATTEMP to make it stick, no luck) please let me know the correct way. I have always had good luck with Imprintables Warehouse since that is were I order my vinyl, and my cutter Thanks for any help.

·
Registered
4,664 Posts
The heat transfer masking tape that most people are talking about looks like a 12" wide roll of scotch tape - although it has a specially formulated adhesive that does not leave a residue after pressing. I know that some distributors call it different things and has cause some confusing. Hopefully, this description will help you out. I know that The Paper Ranch (Heat Transfer, Dye Sublimation and Engraving Equipment & Supplies Source) sells it under the name Transfer Mask. I believe other post have some distributors selling it under the name Magic Mask. Just double check what the description of the product is and looks like. Once you find a distributor, you will be thanking yourself. Best wishes.

Mark

·
Registered
92 Posts
Can this transfer tape or carrier tape be used with any kind of tranfser paper including laser type paper?

I have an oki 3400 (laser printer) and am using duracotton ht paper (good for light color shirts)so I was wondering if I could use this tape to heat press transfers on dark shirts like black..

If so that would be so great!
Thank you.

1 - 20 of 51 Posts