T-Shirt Forums banner
1 - 14 of 14 Posts

· Registered
1,589 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
We often get asked “what should we charge for our printed shirts?” This is a tough question to answer, due to the extraordinary number of variables involved. Each business owner will be operating on different fixed monthly expenses (rent, electricity, phone, etc), and production capabilities will be vary depending on factors such as:

• Number and type(s) of DTG printers you are using
  • Efficiency of the person operating the machine(s)
  • The specific RIP settings, print resolutions, etc used for production
  • Your business model / specific production process setup

Since everyone likes to do things slightly different, it is important to tailor your pricing to your business model rather than simply trying to copy someone else’s prices. The DTG Price List Estimator tool allows you to adjust a series of variables and personal business data to project a viable price list for your DTG printing services. Based on your unique overhead, labor and business expenses you can create a price list that is fully adjustable so you can tweak it and dial it in until you are happy.

You can download the Price List Estimator Tool here: DTG Price List Estimator Tool – FREE! | DTG Print Solutions

Also, there is a quick article I wrote to discuss pricing principles, so take a look if you have questions about pricing your DTG printing services: What Should I Charge? Pricing DTG Printing Services | DTG Print Solutions

And before anyone says anything I am well aware that there are other price estimators available on the internet; this is just one more to help people sort through all the complicated information that comes along with this industry. Plus I was bored yesterday so I needed something to do. :D

· Registered
1,589 Posts
Discussion Starter · #4 ·
Is that ink cost for light or dark shirts or is it an average of both? Does the estimator account for shirt cost or is that added on?
You make a separate price list for darks and lights - the Ink Cost, PT Cost and Cycle Times will be different for each, so the breakdown will be very different. I suggest saving two different copies of the spreadsheet - one for Light Garment Printing and another for Dark Garment Printing.

The cost of the blanks should be added separately, as the markup for tangible products will typically be a fixed amount (based on how much you want to mark up each type of garment).

Let me know if you have any more questions!

· Registered
1,589 Posts
Discussion Starter · #7 ·
sorry for newbie question :
what is "PT Cost " ?
This is the cost of the Pretreatment spray that you must apply to all dark garments prior to printing with DTG (some shops even apply Pretreatment to light shirts, as well).

Many people find this cost to be between .50-.65 for an average size print area.

· Registered
1,589 Posts
Discussion Starter · #12 ·
great tool, but how much is a reasonable markup for the shirts (we like to use Keya)
thx:)
Thanks! I would say that depends entirely on your market, as well as the type of product you are offering. For instance, we tend to mark up standard tees by about .85 each, whereas hoodies are often marked up several dollars. We do this because a misprinted hoodie is much more costly than a misprinted t-shirt. I've heard of some companies literally doubling the price of their blanks - again, that is entirely to your discretion!

1 - 14 of 14 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.