T-Shirt Forums banner
1 - 9 of 9 Posts

· Registered
56 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Hey guys, I don’t know if this is going to help anyone out there or not but I just learned about it and thought I would share the knowledge. I am building an exposure unit and have been spending all day on the phone looking for glass that has no UV filter. Whenever I ask that, the people I’m talking to seem to have no clue on the subject; all but one. I got ahold of a guy (Trini) and he told me about a product called Starfire or Starphire glass. Now according to him even clear glass has some uv blocking properties due to the content of iron in the glass this is also what give it the green hue. However, this product was created to not have the iron thus removing any hue and giving a completely clear glass. The byproduct of this is that by removing the iron content of the glass they then removed what UV blocking characteristics that clear glass has. I looked into a bit online and what he said was confirmed that clear glass bocks 30% of UV light and new clear glasses can block up to 70%. Starfire will run you more but if you sorce it well then you can get a piece for around $12 a square foot for 3/8th thickness. So if you are looking for glass to go on your exposure unit I would recommend using Starfire it’s what I’m ordering. And if you in the Houston area heres the link to the supplier I am using. glass water bottles plate windows at clearglass.cc

· Registered
192 Posts
I bought a piece of iron free glass for my exposure unit. Took me a while to find some in my area but when I did the guy that had it was so happy to sell me some he gave a my glass for 4 dollars a square foot. I said thank you and have a good day...:D

· Registered
192 Posts
it was an auto glass/window glass store. He got excited when I called. I wonder if it was just sitting in the back for a while or something. I got 1/4 inch thick glass. I love my exposure unit. I have a 1000 watt MH light and a vacume hold down. It may not look like a $1000 exposure unit you could go and buy, but I bet it performs like one.:D

1 - 9 of 9 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.