T-Shirt Forums banner
1 - 5 of 5 Posts

· Registered
15 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
When I take a photo from a camera and download it to my computer, will it be in a vector format?

I also have some designs that are not in vector form or the correct dpi. Is there any way to convert to vector and how do I change the dpi?

· Registered
87 Posts
No a photo will be a raster image. To convert a photo to vector then youl need to use an image trace vector software, it can be done in illustrator by going object >> image trace >> make (Use the dialogue box to change the setting for best result) >> hit expand. Results may vary depending on the type of image and the amout of colors/details.

I wouldnt do this if you dont need vector tho, just work in raster software like Photoshop.

· Registered
1,746 Posts
When I take a photo from a camera and download it to my computer, will it be in a vector format?
Photos are naturally raster images. I am not sure why you would want to convert it to a vector. You will lose image quality.

I also have some designs that are not in vector form or the correct dpi. Is there any way to convert to vector and how do I change the dpi?
Your designs could most likely be converted to vector. You want a minimum of 300 dpi for graphics intended for print. If the image is already low resolution or low dpi you won't be able to just "save as" at a higher dpi and presto, change-o out pops a high res image. It just doesn't work that way. You can do the opposite by taking a high res image and lowering the dpi for web use.

· Premium Member
51,818 Posts
You could use a service like vectormagic.com or artworksource.com

If you have software, you could try vectorizing the graphic in Adobe Illustrator or CorelDraw

Photographs you take or see on the internet will never be vector graphics. This article should help: How To Explain Raster vs. Vector To Your Clients - You The Designer

1 - 5 of 5 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.