T-Shirt Forums banner
1 - 2 of 2 Posts

· Premium Member
51,818 Posts
Easy guys, CHL was offering his opinion based on his experience. No need for accusations of making up numbers.

To stay on the topic of when it is feasible to switch to screen printing, there is no "set" number. Some never use heat press to begin with, so basically you can start using screen printing from the very first shirt you sell if that's the direction you want to go. You don't have to until 500 sales per month.

· Premium Member
51,818 Posts
So, when a design pops into your head, what steps do you take?
Good question!

Depends on the site (I have a few different t-shirt lines).

If it's an established line with a steady flow of customers, I will start out with a run of say 25-50 screen printed shirts, depending on how well I think the design will sell (ie. If I've gotten a lot of emails asking for a similar design I would order more...if it's my own twisted creation, I would order less).

I usually order like 5 Mediums 10 Large, 10 XLarge, 5 XXL (or some similar combination ratio).

I send out an email to my opt in newsletter base and post the design on the site in a few places and judge the initial sales of the shirt (I give it 1-2 months).

If the design does well, I reorder, if it doesn't, I don't.

For the screen printed designs that I fulfill myself, I know that they *will* sell because I've been selling the shirts for years. So having inventory doesn't bother me because I know I'll have the stock in hand when the orders come in and I know the orders will come in :) Some designs I carry a LOT of stock for and some designs I carry minimum levels.

Slower times of the year I let stock levels stay low, but when busy shopping seasons come (spring/summer, holidays), I keep the stock levels higher.

If I have a new t-shirt idea that it *outside* my normal "established" t-shirt lines, I'll create the artwork myself (or hire someone to create it through designoutpost or one of the other freelance companies I use) and put the design up for sale in one my my cafepress stores. If it sells well, I might create a printmojo store to get the product screen printed or I might just leave it for sale at cafepress.

Depending on the market, if I wanted to start a brand new t-shirt line, I would probably go through printmojo, spreadshirt or cafepress .Each service has its benefits, but the main benefit for me is NOT doing the fulfillment myself, because when you have a lot of sales, it can be very time consuming to go through the orders, screen for fraudulent orders, print out shipping labels, pull the stock, package the shirts, schedule a pickup. If I had to also print the shirts at the same time, I'd probably go insane :)

1 - 2 of 2 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.