T-Shirt Forums banner

1 - 12 of 12 Posts

·
Registered
1,779 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
For those who don't charge separate screen fees, and instead hide them in the final shirt/print cost. How do you go about quoting? If someone wants a quote for 72-144, and lets say your screen fee is $15, how would you go about hiding that? At 72 it's about 0.20 cents, at 144 it's about 0.11 cents.

·
Registered
189 Posts
It is figured at the 72 piece price, so 73-143 have a few cents more profit.
Any pricing matrix is going to be more profitable at the higher end of the quantity.
really what is the price difference between doing 143 v. 144? ..the cost of the garment... It's just how it works, it makes a better incentive for the customer to bump up the next price break.

·
Registered
1,779 Posts
Discussion Starter #4
I do it with an excel spreadsheet calculator. All I quote is one final price per shirt with all charges included. It works wonderfully and customers can understand it. We are able to make way more on set-ups and screens by using this method.
But do you ever get customers that don't know the exact quantity they want to order? I get a lot of customers saying well we're thinking of ordering 50-99 pieces, what is the price quote? If we try hiding the screens in there, I can add the $15 towards the 50 piece run and tell them that price, but then it ends up being too cheap at 99 pieces. Does that make sense?

·
Registered
1,779 Posts
Discussion Starter #5
It is figured at the 72 piece price, so 73-143 have a few cents more profit.
Any pricing matrix is going to be more profitable at the higher end of the quantity.
really what is the price difference between doing 143 v. 144? ..the cost of the garment... It's just how it works, it makes a better incentive for the customer to bump up the next price break.
I guess it depends on the price matrix. Just recently we printed 600 pieces while the customer originally wanted 400-599. The 600 piece run actually ended up being $100 or so cheaper which bit me in the butt so I lost money printing more.

·
Registered
231 Posts
I don't use traditional price breaks. My profit margin is the same across the board. That's where the all inclusive pricing does it's job. I will sell 50 T-shirts @ $5.30 each and 100 T-shirts @ 4.75 each...they both yeild the same profit margin for me.

The 100 appears to be a better deal but it's just a matter of the prep/setup being spread thinner. I NEVER hide the prep/setup cost. I ALWAYS inform the customer of my pricing methods. They like the no math factor.:D

I WILL from time to time adjust my profit margin down a bit for good/repeat customers on orders over 48 pieces.

·
Registered
532 Posts
I am exactly the opposite-which is what makes things difficult for people to compare prices-so I am not saying that I am right.

We do not charge setup or art fees. 12 piece minimum is $8 per/1 color/1 place. That cost is $96 for about $24 of tshirts.

We can clean about 20 screen per hour with a labor rate of $8 per hour. So, add $3 for the cost. Add another $2 for chemicals.

So-we assume that the ACTUAL cost is about $5 per screen to set it up and about $1 for ink on the 1 color job.

$96 for 12-$24 apparel, $6 labor/scren prep/$8 printing labor-$38 total cost=$58 profit.

Not exactly what keeps the doors open-but we like the simple pricing-so do customers. Small customers often turn into larger ones or refer others.

I do not think we are right at all-but we aim to be different. As a small-medium sized shop I think we have to be.

Another way we look at it as taking our normal cost of chemicals and labor and addiing that to our entire overhead.

In other words-we take our rent, utilities, labor, chemicals, ink, etc and add that all up. We assume that is the cost to doing business and do not always look at each deal on a casis for emulsion for instance.

My employees will be there either way-so I would rather have them working.

I would like feedback myself-I think we all struggle with this.

·
Registered
1,779 Posts
Discussion Starter #9
I don't use traditional price breaks. My profit margin is the same across the board. That's where the all inclusive pricing does it's job. I will sell 50 T-shirts @ $5.30 each and 100 T-shirts @ 4.75 each...they both yeild the same profit margin for me.

The 100 appears to be a better deal but it's just a matter of the prep/setup being spread thinner. I NEVER hide the prep/setup cost. I ALWAYS inform the customer of my pricing methods. They like the no math factor.:D

I WILL from time to time adjust my profit margin down a bit for good/repeat customers on orders over 48 pieces.
I want to order 50 to 100 shirts, 1 color on front , how much would that cost?

How would you answer this question?

·
Registered
532 Posts
Out da Box-well said.

While we do not have formula-I just know that once we have the initial setup out of the way then the rest is gravy.

·
Registered
231 Posts
TshirtGuru said:
I want to order 50 to 100 shirts, 1 color on front , how much would that cost?
Depending on the situation and the customer, I would use one of these answers:

1) Your final per item cost will depend on the exact quantity. You will end up with a cost between $4.75 and $5.30 each.

2) Your final per item cost will be $5.00 each.

I have an open quote right now where the final quantity will not be known until all student orders are turned in. We expect the final count to be somewhere between 50 and 200. I quoted a price at the 50 quantity. If the final count is more than 50, then I charge less and the customer has more money for her fundraiser. I'm happy, she's happy.:D

My pricing is based on production hours rather than by the piece. My method is not foolproof, but more often than not, it works for me.

Each of us have a different set of clientele and we must develope a pricing structure that is easy for them to follow as well as profitable for us.

·
Registered
113 Posts
This is why I no longer use a "crossword puzzle ,grid,chart"
price grid.

Customers know how many shirts they want.
They won't jump from 50 to 75 shirts to save $0.80 a print.

The only "Price Break" around here is on the garments 75+ and 350+

Screens or setups are always $40 per color.....divide by how many shirts you order... 24pcs----$1.60per.....240pcs----$0.16per

Prints are always $0.40 per "hit"
4 color print with a print/flash/print on the first color
5 hits x $0.40 =$2.00ea

to answer price on 50 - 100 and they want a per piece price.
I would price 50 and 100 and tell them it's from $Xto$Xper

1 - 12 of 12 Posts