T-Shirt Forums banner
1 - 10 of 10 Posts

·
Registered
22 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Does anyone know of a font similar to Pieces of Eight or know where to buy the commercial license for this font? I think that is what I need. A group has contacted me and wants this font in their logo. I am pretty sure that I need to purchase the license for using the font. Can anyone tell me if this is correct? Any help would be appreciated.

·
Registered
22 Posts
Discussion Starter · #3 ·
Yes, I know about the dafont.com site. It says that it is per personal use only. So I am pretty sure that I cannot use it for shirts. I have been trying to find how to use it commercially. Any ideas?

·
Registered
6,679 Posts
Once the typeface is converted to outlines, the font creator cannot prevent how it's used... incuding commercial use for logos, t-shirts, etc. But since you are already contacting the creator for more info, it's best to find what kind of fee they charge and do the right thing.

·
Registered
22 Posts
Discussion Starter · #8 ·
This is great to know. I am waiting for a reply. Should this be my customers responsibility since it is their logo? Or should I always have to get the license? How do other shops deal with this issue?

·
Registered
6,679 Posts
Should this be my customers responsibility since it is their logo?
Both would be accountable. But it hardly matters. It's near impossible for font creators to litigate the unauthorized use of a typeface. Typefaces cannot be owned and protected as IP. Only the font file can be protected (under copyright) from unauthorized distribution. But as long as you are downloading it from a legit site, like dafont, then you are ok.

Or should I always have to get the license?
Despite what font creators want you to believe, the license only pertains to distribution, not use within a graphics program or the end use.

That said, font creators spend a lot time on their craft and are good at what they do. So it's nice to honor their wishes and pay for a commercial license if they prefer that.

How do other shops deal with this issue?
Most probably use free fonts and/or pay the license fee. It's the ethical way to go, even if the law doesn't require paying the license fee for the commercial use of typefaces.

1 - 10 of 10 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.