T-Shirt Forums banner

1 - 4 of 4 Posts

·
Registered
114 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
First of all, i have a question about fonts and using them. If I use a font to make a design, and then sell the product or create a design for a customer to have put onto a design, what copywrite laws should I be weary of? I have a lot more fonts on my home computer, and if I converted them to curves and then sent them to the work computer, is that illegal? Or do I HAVE to buy the font and have it installed on my work computer?

Another amazing discovery I found is under Text in Corel X4 there is a What the Font? tab!!! It gives you crosshairs to highlight part of a jpg or bitmap of some sort and it will scan what you select directly to What the Font? and open a window giving you its best guess!!! AMAZING!!!

·
Administrator
14,492 Posts
Different fonts have different licensing terms. Before you use a font in your commercial work, you shouldl make certain the license allows it. If it doesn't, you would contact the rights holder for permission which usually entails a fee.

·
Registered
1,455 Posts
When using fonts in commercial work, it is best to know where the font came from and what the owner specified for its use. Many fonts that are available for free downloads are not free for commercial use. If you have a font you want to use, track it down and see what license it came with. Pay for a commercial license if you need to. Usually the license also specifies how many computers you can have it installed on. Most allow for two or three computers, very few only allow for use on one.

Once you convert text (not the complete alphabet and associated characters) that you made from a legally owned and used font, you can then transfer that graphics file to other computers for any needed additional work.

1 - 4 of 4 Posts