T-Shirt Forums banner

1 - 5 of 5 Posts

·
Registered
81 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I'm trying to figure out if I have the commercial rights to use the fonts that came installed on my computer; I'm running Windows XP Professional, if that makes a difference. I'm not that computer savvy, so I'm not even sure where to look for the information. Does anyone out there know?

What if I take these fonts into illustrator, create outlines, and then change them quite a bit, basically just using the original font as a starting point. Does that become my creation? Not necessarily as a whole new font, but just the word or phrases that I use in my design.

I'm probably going to have to break down and go to a copyright attorney one of these days, but for now I'm just wondering.

Thanks
Bob-O

·
Registered
382 Posts
There is no black and white laws to copyright really, thats what makes it so tough to defend unless what you created is quite a bit different than the original. I wouldn't worry about any lawsuits over a font unless you downloaded it and disregarded the "font use" statement.

·
Registered
121 Posts
with type, generally speaking, you are ok as long as you are just using the type as type on a shirt. but say, for instance, you want to use a distinctive ornament or letter in the typeface and put that on a tee shirt, or you want to incorporate letters or ornaments/dingbats into your logo, that's when you might run into trouble. most purchased typefaces require an additional license for such usage.

·
Registered
3 Posts
the fonts came default with Win XP, u can use them as u want to.

and u can get a lot of freeware fonts from the web that are free all the way, for personal or commercial use (and welcomed to make changes as u want to)

1 - 5 of 5 Posts