T-Shirt Forums banner

1 - 20 of 35 Posts

·
Registered
173 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Hi

I was wondering if anyone has tried foils (like they use for screen printing) with DTG printing. If you have how did it work? Where did you get your foil from? And how bad is the learning crurve? Or any other information you think might be useful to me.

Thanks
April

·
Registered
192 Posts
I have done some recent testing with foils (gold, silver and red) in conjunction with DTG prints.
I purchase the foils from McLogan Sign Supply (they can be found at mclogan.com).

The concept is this:
Print a minimal white ink underbase, then print a "color" that is close to the foil color using a heavy ink pass.
The next step is to take the "wet" print to the heat press, lay the foil on top, place a new piece of parchment paper over every thing and then press @ 330 for 90 seconds.
Let the foil cool down before removing as most foils are a "cold peel" process.

good luck

·
Registered
192 Posts
No alignment issues at all when doing JUST FOIL. I just cut enough foil to cover the area that was printed and pressed as normal (for dark shirt settings that is).

You could use different colors in different areas if you set that up before printing (remember, you want to try to have a color close to the foil color printed before you apply the foil).

IF you are doing DTG color AND foil together, then it does get a little trickier.
I use a piece of chalk to mark my shirt when it is on the DTG platen BEFORE printing.
I then set up the file for foil and print that. Remove the shirt from the DTG printer, do the foil app.
Replace the shirt back on the DTG printer platen and use the chalk lines to "re-align" the shirt.
Now print your color file.

It does take a few tries to get the hang of re-aligning the shirt.
I also think that the heat press causes the weave of the shirt to tighten up just a bit.
I have been challenged to get it "dead-on" and see the same thing happening after every print.
I think if I scale the color print up just a half percent or 1%, that may accommodate for the tightening of the weave.

I'll keep trying and let you know if that solves everything.
Also, when I get a free moment, I'll snap a few pics and post 'em up here.

·
Registered
173 Posts
Discussion Starter #6
I don't understand why you are taking it off doing the foil and the putting it back on and printing again. When I watched the youtube video with screen printing. They printed dried foiled and dried I think again. Can you explain why you take it off the platen and print twice? Are you using a different type foil than screen printers use? I email MC Logan but haven't heard back for them yet.

Thanks
April

·
Registered
424 Posts
Here are a few samples I've done working with foil and DTG.
Foil is very challenging to photograph...hope you get the concept.

How is the washability?

Your process for single color is as simple as printing the garment, placing the foil over the top and heat pressing? Does it work with a white underbase only or can you use CMYK as the adhesive/wetting agent?

I'm very curious to know how well the prints stand up as we have had requests for this but didn't have a local source for foil samples to test.

·
Registered
192 Posts
I only take the shirt off the platen if I am going to do a multi-color foil or combination foil/color ink design.
I am not the type of person that will "hand-cut" the foil to match the image. I just cut a sufficient square piece of foil and place it over the areas I want to be foiled. The foil I purchased was 200 feet in length at $31 per roll.
I am probably using about 15-30 cents in foil at best. I don't mind wasting a little rather than taking the time to hand cut a specific shape.

·
Registered
192 Posts
raise,
the white ink acts as the adhesive and the color is primarily used to fill in the imperfections of the foil process.
We have tried many different levels of white underbase and found using less works best. We do however apply a generous amount of color on top of the white underbase and then then foil and YES, just heat press as normal for dark garments.
All-in-all, the cost per shirt on a 10"sq design averages out to approx. 1.25 to 1.75 per print depending on the design coverage.

·
Registered
173 Posts
Discussion Starter #14
Is this a special foil only at mc logan that sticks to water ink? Or are you applying an adhesive too?

·
Registered
424 Posts
Does the foil stick to the CMYK inks by any chance? When you do a multi-color design, does the CMYK or white ink adhere to the foil where there are overlaps or mis-registrations?

The multi-color sample you showed for IB looks great. Was that a total of 4 runs?

·
Registered
37 Posts
after reading thru all the above posts, i ordered the gold & silver foil to experiment and try. i printed 2 passes of white & 1 pass of color, then heat pressed the silver foil. WOW it is amazing!
then, i tried printing black on top of the silver foil. DO NOT DO THIS. the foil doesn't allow the ink to sink into the fabric and stays on top of the foil and smears badly. so, i just printed the additional text in another color where it was NOT on top of the foil. clear transparencies are a great tool to help with aligning a second placement on the platen.
also, i washed the shirts with the foil and put them in the dryer for durability testing. WOW again. it washed a lot of the excess foil off the shirt, but the design itself stayed amazingly bright. the kids in our youth group at church are gonna love these shirts!
FYI: 4 colors i am experimenting with silver foil --
black (came out amazing); red, royal, forest green (haven't gotten to the other 3 colors yet). will post pictures if anyone else is interested in trying foil!

·
Registered
173 Posts
Discussion Starter #20
please post pictures of what you have done. I would like to try foil for something different in our schools. and other stuff. Did you buy your foil at mclogan's also? What color shirts did you put the black foil on.

Thanks
April

1 - 20 of 35 Posts