T-Shirt Forums banner
1 - 6 of 6 Posts

·
Registered
24 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I’m using CMYK Aurora force water based inks PFP then adhesion and hand press foil. I’ve gotten good results with the foil by itself with the adhesion but as soon as I have any under base of ink or surrounding ink designs the foil actually sticks to the water-based ink even better than the adhesive which obviously is a big problem. I do mainly wet on wet Printing after a flash and under bass and even left my shirts on the plat to dry for an hour and the foil still sticks to the dry uncured ink. Help anyone? Is there some kind of universal additive I can add that will prevent the water-based ink from sticking?

As a side note… Not sure it helps but the water-based ink is so sticky that it also pulls the shirt off of the plat no matter how much adhesion spray I put on my plats.
Liquid Fluid Home appliance Kitchen appliance Drink
Liquid Drinkware Kitchen appliance Fluid Drink
Wheel Tire Hood Vehicle Automotive tire

·
Registered
3,012 Posts
I’m using CMYK Aurora force water based inks PFP
I'm not sure about the inks you are using, BUT generally speaking you have to either use inks that can be ironed, or use foil resist additive.
If foil resist is not available for your ink, then the only option is to use a different ink.

the foil still sticks to the dry uncured ink.
Why don't you try fully curing the ink before applying the foil?
I don't think it will make any difference, but it's worth a try.

·
Registered
24 Posts
Discussion Starter · #3 ·
I'm not sure about the inks you are using, BUT generally speaking you have to either use inks that can be ironed, or use foil resist additive.
If foil resist is not available for your ink, then the only option is to use a different ink.

Why don't you try fully curing the ink before applying the foil?
I don't think it will make any difference, but it's worth a try.
Thanks for the response… The reason why I’m not curing the ink first is because I have a six head manual press and because I’m using CMYK with an under base that’s five of my six heads being used which means I only have one head left for the adhesion and since my adhesion is going on top of my under base of my CMYK inks, I can’t move my shirts off the plat to cure them as I need to add the adhesion after all of my CMYK inks and retain the registration.

·
Registered
3,012 Posts
Thanks for the response… The reason why I’m not curing the ink first is because I have a six head manual press and because I’m using CMYK with an under base that’s five of my six heads being used which means I only have one head left for the adhesion and since my adhesion is going on top of my under base of my CMYK inks, I can’t move my shirts off the plat to cure them as I need to add the adhesion after all of my CMYK inks and retain the registration.
I'm not sure I understand... Are you applying the foil while the shirt is on the platen?
The adhesive will work even when cured along with the ink.

·
Registered
24 Posts
Discussion Starter · #5 ·
I'm not sure I understand... Are you applying the foil while the shirt is on the platen?
The adhesive will work even when cured along with the ink.
yes… I guess I didn’t think about adding the foil after it came out of the conveyor dryer to cure the ink. Irregardless though I would still have the same problem because even after the water-based ink is dry the foil just sticks right to the water-based ink even if the adhesion is there or not. I was just looking at a couple products that Matsui makes a quick additive and a Matsui softener MG. I think those might work for what I’m trying to accomplish. Simply put it sounds like I need to find an additive that will prevent any water-based ink from sticking to not just the foil but also to my screens.

and I just remembered why I was confused about the order of the foil and the curing. Up until now I generally print flash print do the adhesion and then I cure everything through a dryer last including the foil.

·
Registered
3,012 Posts
Irregardless though I would still have the same problem because even after the water-based ink is dry the foil just sticks right to the water-based ink even if the adhesion is there or not.
If fully cured ink sticks to the foil then the only option you have is using a different ink.
There are printable resists you can print on top of the ink, but you don't have a 7th screen.

Simply put it sounds like I need to find an additive that will prevent any water-based ink from sticking to not just the foil but also to my screens.
Just look for ink that can be ironed. Ink that does not stick to the iron will not stick to the foil either.
Be careful with poly-cotton shirts by the way... the foil will also stick to the shirt

Up until now I generally print flash print do the adhesion and then I cure everything through a dryer last including the foil.
If this does work well, then why not?

1 - 6 of 6 Posts